Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

I think I have an inferiority complex with my car

Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Default I think I have an inferiority complex with my car

This might sound weird, but I feel like I have an inferiority complex with my car...in other words, I'll see other cars around and think they look very nice, but then look at my own car and just think it looks plain/unnoticeable. It just doesn't seem like there's anything about it to grab any attention appearance-wise, except maybe the obviously not stock exhaust note.

Do I feel this way only because I see and drive my car every day? I have done some subtle exterior stuff (taillight tint, smoked markers) but not much in the way of appearance because I do like to be subtle and tend to spend money more towards performance. I'd like to do a little more exterior stuff but not sure what direction I want to go.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs, Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M upper & mount, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
aleit2013

Vehicle: 2013 GT Premium

Yeah, its just because its yours bro. To the dude in the civic, you look like a rock star. Dont worry, just be happy with whatever you do to the car and make sure whatever money you toss at it is money well spent.
aleit2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Follow the 10 Commandment's, and you'd be ok....

Exodus 20:10 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor his mustang, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

i was the same dude..up untill i saw my pride n joy v6 drive away today after i sold it..wow it looked awesome..let someone else drive ya stang and you'll see what i mean.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

get some wheels of your choice and lower it as much as you can safely for the area you drive it.
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback
Andy13186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

yep wheels transform ANY car.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT

a chin spoiler does it for me...

Eibach sportline kit, Boss 302 quad exhaust, BMR LCA, Boss 302 intake, BMR LCA re-locators, JLT carbon fiber CAI, BMR adj. panhard, FR 84.5 mm TB, Steeda adj. UCA, 302 strut brace, MM CC plates, Bama 93 octane race tune, RTR chin splitter, MMD louvers, Steeda functional spoiler
vixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

I agree with Rudolph. Wait until you see it driving around from the outside. Takes on a totally different perspective, makes you appreciate it much more.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 v6 Performance Package
Skatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
i was the same dude..up untill i saw my pride n joy v6 drive away today after i sold it..wow it looked awesome..let someone else drive ya stang and you'll see what i mean.

exactly. have someone else drive your car and you'll see exactly the perspective of others.

2013 v6 Performance Package
Airraid CAI 91 Tune
BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers
Roush Axlebacks
ST Coilovers (front)
H&R Super Sport Springs (rear)
Koni yellow (rear)
Whiteline LCA's + relo brackets
Exterior Mods
JayBeStangs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Five-Oh Premium

When i get bored i ask my gf to take a drive with the car while ill follow with her civic, i alway tell her: go easy on it girl. First thing i see her do everytime she get on the highway, she pull it hard and even make the rear bounce on full throttle, damn italian girl, but i do love to see it pull away with the sick sound it do etc.
4.10, Steeda CAI/Tune, American Racing Long tube headers/Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow axle muffler, 07 svt rims painted black gloss, R1 Standard full adjustable Coilover, brembo upgrade..1 pcs driveshaft, all the bmr goodies.
mighted1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang V6

It must be because your used to seeing your own car. I feel the same way about mine even though everyone's always complementing me on it. I let my brother drive it every now and then and I always watch him drive away. It helps somewhat, I just feel that I didn't catch a long and good glimpse of it!

2010 Mustang V6

Performance:
SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, BBK Cold Air Intake, Custom H-Pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder

Appearance:
5% tints on back windows, 20% tints on side windows, DG Custom Auto quarter window louvers, Mustang third brake light tint, 3DCarbon 3D500 spoiler, GT500 steering wheel, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Metra 99-5823CH, Shelby GT500 leather seats, SHR Chrome Fuel Door
Antonio323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy13186 View Post
get some wheels of your choice and lower it as much as you can safely for the area you drive it.
Honestly I love the factory Torq-Thrust style wheels...I think they're a perfect fit for the car, and I'm too po' to buy a set of wheels right now (especially when the tires on the car are barely a year old). And I want to lower it more but I'm afraid I'll never be able to get a floor jack under it without driving up on some boards if I do. I have P springs on just the back now, but I'd like to bring the back down another half inch or so and lower the front 1". Ah someday...
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs, Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M upper & mount, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Bullitt2059

Vehicle: 2008 Bullitt DHG

honestly I haven't had mine very long, and its one of the plainer looking stangs being a Bullitt (no wings, no fogs, no flashy stuff). but I still catch people looking at it. i've seen people in everything from old hondas to newer BMWs/Mercedes looking at this plain jane looking mustang. i'd be willing to bet your car looks pretty special to everyone else. Mustangs just have this presence, they stand out just being what they are.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I'll see other cars around and think they look very nice, but then look at my own car and just think it looks plain/unnoticeable. It just doesn't seem like there's anything about it to grab any attention appearance-wise . . . . but not sure what direction I want to go.
Then it's time to stop thinking about what it looks like and start enjoying only how it drives. At least for a while. The more pressure you put on yourself to add another visual mod now, the more likely it'll not end up being a good one in the long run.

Norm

'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers) . . . '01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang
Seth Laidacker ReverendStang Philly2Pixburgh

Not to encourage....but get a set of wheels and some springs to lower her a bit and you will drool at your car everytime you see her I sure do haha

2006 Vista Blue Ford Mustang GT SOLD!
-Kenne Bell 2.6l Intercooled Supercharger
-Lowered on Ford Racing Suspension (Shocks, Springs, Front and Rear Anti-Roll Bars)
-Roush Lower Control Arms
-Ford Racing Headers and Full Exhaust
-Hurst Short Shifter

Check out my photography!

Seth Laidacker Photography
Hi-Res
YouTube Channel
TheStigSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

To the average car guy-or car girl, any specialty car like the ones owned by pretty much everybody on here will get attention all the time. I notice EVERY Mustang on the road regardless of what kind, color etc. I also always notice other specialty cars in the same category like Camaro, Challenger and pretty much any muscle or sports car from 2014 down to the 1960s models.

The only people who aren't noticing your Mustang are the people on the road I like to refer to as NON DRIVERS. These are typical people in mini-vans or Prius' who are hardly aware of the fact they are driving a car in the first place and if so driving is their 3rd of 4th priority.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is “I have no interest in cars”. If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away" - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by mph07alloy; 05-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.
mph07alloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Honestly I love the factory Torq-Thrust style wheels...I think they're a perfect fit for the car, and I'm too po' to buy a set of wheels right now (especially when the tires on the car are barely a year old). And I want to lower it more but I'm afraid I'll never be able to get a floor jack under it without driving up on some boards if I do. I have P springs on just the back now, but I'd like to bring the back down another half inch or so and lower the front 1". Ah someday...
id go with lowering it anyway, its worth it. FRPP k springs id go with
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT

Quote:
This might sound weird, but I feel like I have an inferiority complex with my car...
Sportlines and 15" race stars with a radial or a 18x10.5" square set up.

/complex

2006 Gt - Vortech blown/Intercooled/Lito tuned/Lightened (sold)
3vStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vStang View Post
Sportlines and 15" race stars with a radial or a 18x10.5" square set up.

/complex
can 10.5 wide rims even fit on the front without issues? I wouldn't think so. mabe im wrong though.

also, do you have any issues with speedbumps/driveways with the sportlines?

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: Incom T-65 X-Wing
Kevin Ryan

This is my car when I bought it...

Click the image to open in full size.

This is my car now...

Click the image to open in full size.

I think the answer to your problem is obvious... Half of the fun of owning a Mustang is customizing it and making it your own. While your car is nice from the factory, get creative and find the special touches that make it fit how you like it. It's your car; go nuts and get ready for some dirty looks from the wife.

Last edited by kdryan; 05-02-2013 at 03:37 PM.
kdryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement