MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   06 GT plug change success! (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/694593-06-gt-plug-change-success.html)

Lifter583 05-03-2013 08:40 PM

06 GT plug change success!
 
Hey Guys...some time back I posted that I was going to do a plug change for a friend's GT with 57K on it...I had done my GT at 12 k...and had total success...my post was asking advice on the higher mileage car...got some good replys and I had EVERYTHING for worst case scenario...but I was told by a mechanic I know that I would have NO TROUBLE if I started with having the engine at operating temp...he said he has done many of the F150 engines and has NEVER broken a plug...follow the normal soaking procedure...but at operating temp...So I did...I pulled the boots...used Seafoam Deep Creep for 15 mins before the initial 1/8 turn to crack them...all turned at or just under 28 ft lbs...let them sit for 15 mins...gave them another 1/4 turn...all moved under 28 lbs...gave them another few mins and tightened 1/4...then loosen 1/2 turn...all now under 25 lbs...now after sitting a few more mins...tightened 1/4 and then slowly began to continually loosen...torque dropped to 15 lbs and then below 10 as they all backed out perfectly intact! installed the new ones with normal procedure and off the car went...total job time.. 2 hrs. Called my mechanic friend...all he said was "told ya"...took my Isle tool back for credit and it was a Great day!

Goldenpony 05-03-2013 10:16 PM

Congrats! Well done.

Lifter583 05-03-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenpony (Post 8206849)
Congrats! Well done.

Thanks! Fords TSB states boldly... room temp engine... and everything I have read says the same...this car was driven 30 mins on the highway and I started right in...I am thinking the hot engine is the way to go...

Rudolph Hucker 05-04-2013 12:03 AM

awesome..the previous owner of mine has removed them twice and greased them..seems like a good idea every year or 2 to me..

Rocket Ray 05-04-2013 12:41 PM

I changed mine on my 07 this year to the Champion one piece plugs. However, I had taken mine out previously and put anti-seize on them. The only thing I didn't do this time was use any penetrating lubricant, but they all came out. After looking at the buildup on the "barrel" of the plugs, I am glad I did it. I only have 16K on mine.

Goldenpony 05-04-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray (Post 8207127)
I changed mine on my 07 this year to the Champion one piece plugs. However, I had taken mine out previously and put anti-seize on them. The only thing I didn't do this time was use any penetrating lubricant, but they all came out. After looking at the buildup on the "barrel" of the plugs, I am glad I did it. I only have 16K on mine.


Champions here too. I sleep better.

kennyw 05-04-2013 09:28 PM

What year did they stop putting the 2 piece plugs in? I didn't think to check on that before buying my 2013...

Lifter583 05-05-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyw (Post 8207365)
What year did they stop putting the 2 piece plugs in? I didn't think to check on that before buying my 2013...

That design is long gone...you have no worries...

Tracedaddy 05-06-2013 03:04 PM

Operating temp? Really? I need to do mine. 85K on my car now. Working on a hot engine doesn't sound like much fun. Or am I making too much out of that?

hootie_john 05-06-2013 03:15 PM

Use caution with the engine heated up....some horror stories out there of stripping threads in the head. $$$$

TheStigSC 05-06-2013 04:15 PM

Thanks for sharing that tip with us. Will definitely be useful.

Lifter583 05-06-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy (Post 8208370)
Operating temp? Really? I need to do mine. 85K on my car now. Working on a hot engine doesn't sound like much fun. Or am I making too much out of that?

You wont be around anything hot other then engine heat radiating off...the plugs were too warm to hold comfortably...as for stripping the head threads...I applied progressive slow pressure when first breaking the plugs loose...they are spec'ed at 25 ft lbs...I broke them all loose at 28 or less...the spec on the TSB was dont go over 33 lbs due to possible thread damage...by the time i got them completely out the engine had cooled down over an hours time...

Lifter583 05-06-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStigSC (Post 8208446)
Thanks for sharing that tip with us. Will definitely be useful.

All I can say is my friend was definitive about doing it this way and my results were excellent...I hope others have the same result!

SCCAGT 05-09-2013 11:06 AM

A technician I have at my shop does the same procedure, more or less, and has never had a breakage problem either.

Goldenpony 05-09-2013 02:10 PM

Plugs
 
When I decided to change the plugs in my '06 GT, I first tried with the engine cold per Fords TSB. I couldn't budge the plugs. I decided to just barely warm the engine. I ran it at idle for maybe 5 minutes or less. I shut it off and let it sit a bit. I was then able to get the plugs to begin to loosen. I don't know if I would do it with the engine hot though.

kenthicken 05-09-2013 07:20 PM

Going to tackle mine this Saturday... have all the tools ready to go, just in case... extractor included.

Sonic Mustang 05-09-2013 07:37 PM

I'd love to meet the Ford engineers responsible for cylinder heads. It seems nothing has changed since the 3 thread heads on the DOHC 32Vs. ( I got the 9 thread heads on my 2004.Yipee!)

I just love reading horror stories about removing spark plugs. I read them and think, "Should I change my plugs and maybe break something, or leave well enough alone?"

Here's a goddamned suggestion, idiot Ford engineers:

When you have to issue TSBs and technical documents for removing spark plugs and when enthusiast owners post threads titled, "Holy crap! I removed my Mustang's spark plugs without causing $876 worth of damage!" it time to get another line of work.

Sonic Mustang 05-09-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenpony (Post 8210411)
When I decided to change the plugs in my '06 GT, I first tried with the engine cold per Fords TSB.

You have to wonder how Ford's cold engine instructions translate to real life.

Visit your Ford dealer for new spark plugs and leave your car overnight IN THE SERVICE BAY STALL so the engine is at room temperature the next day. (No, you can't leave the car outside, because starting it to move it inside will raise the temp above ambient.) Yeah, that happens.

Lifter583 05-10-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenthicken (Post 8210628)
Going to tackle mine this Saturday... have all the tools ready to go, just in case... extractor included.

Good Luck!

Lifter583 05-10-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang (Post 8210641)
You have to wonder how Ford's cold engine instructions translate to real life.

Visit your Ford dealer for new spark plugs and leave your car overnight IN THE SERVICE BAY STALL so the engine is at room temperature the next day. (No, you can't leave the car outside, because starting it to move it inside will raise the temp above ambient.) Yeah, that happens.

The expansion of the aluminum head is greater then the steel of the plug at higher temps...so the plug will naturally be a slight bit looser and the carbon buildup less solid...it seems a plausible theory to me and it worked well in my case...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.