Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2014 5.0 today - Woah

Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Just buy a 2011 or 2012. Same drive train for a lot less money.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Awesome write up about your experience. The new 5.0s are absolute beasts. I really want one but I bought my car from my step-father (original owner) and want to give it to my kid someday so I won't be getting rid of mine for one. Sentimental value. Meh.

I'm gonna compromise by putting the 5.0 in one day with my kid
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Just buy a 2011 or 2012. Same drive train for a lot less money.
I actually looked into this today and I can get a pretty good deal on a barely used 2012 or 2013 in Florida. Asking price is about 27-28.5k for a 2012 or 2013 used with anywhere from 9k-16k on the clock.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
Awesome write up about your experience. The new 5.0s are absolute beasts. I really want one but I bought my car from my step-father (original owner) and want to give it to my kid someday so I won't be getting rid of mine for one. Sentimental value. Meh.

That sounds like an amazing bonding moment and a fantastic compromise haha. I like where your head's at.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
GM Supercar? Really? You found it that much better than your 06? Did you have any mods on your old car? I ask because I was thinking about posting a similar question only in reverse. I test drove a '12 with only 3000 miles on it. I did like it. For all the same reasons I like my 06. But after the drive I got back in my car to go to work and actually thought mine felt livelier. Now I do have a few mods including a tune, springs and shifter but I still can't be anywhere near the specs of a new car. I suppose if I did some of these things to a new car it would feel even better but I left the dealership thinking naaah, I'll save my money. Great car. Especially if you're coming from a 4.0. Just wondering if other GT owners have had a similar experience.

And to respond to the OP, once the '14's are in the dealership, wait until close to the end of the month and pick up an "old" '13 for a steal.
I won't tell the old lady this, but after driving a 5.0 ('13 GT) today for the first time, I kinda see what you are saying.

It was absolutely more powerful, smoother and an entirely different beast from my car. But it was COMPLETELY different. It felt different, sight lines were different, and most of all it felt HUGE. We didn't make a deal on the car and I drove my GT all 300 miles back home (Long day!), my car was still fun, and felt tiny.

I can't honestly say I was blown away by the 5.0. Maybe because my expectations were pretty massive. On the low end, driving around town from light to light, it felt like a regular car. The few times I was able to get the RPM's up a little bit (Too much traffic) it did roar, but it didn't overwhelm me.

I still really want one, and will have one soon.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I won't tell the old lady this, but after driving a 5.0 ('13 GT) today for the first time, I kinda see what you are saying.

It was absolutely more powerful, smoother and an entirely different beast from my car. But it was COMPLETELY different. It felt different, sight lines were different, and most of all it felt HUGE. We didn't make a deal on the car and I drove my GT all 300 miles back home (Long day!), my car was still fun, and felt tiny.

I can't honestly say I was blown away by the 5.0. Maybe because my expectations were pretty massive. On the low end, driving around town from light to light, it felt like a regular car. The few times I was able to get the RPM's up a little bit (Too much traffic) it did roar, but it didn't overwhelm me.

I still really want one, and will have one soon.
Couldn't agree more. I drove my friends brand new 2013 gt a week ago and must admit it was an improved car as far as up to date electronics and overall ride quality. However my 06 gt feels much more like a muscle car the way it handles and steers (everything) and the low end grunt seems to be more there as well. I'm happy with the 05-09 gt mustang as well!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 AM
MarylandSpeed
Former Sponsor

I love the 5.0L only way to go
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Dr_Gonzo

Whatever you decide, I would STRONGLY consider upgrading to the leather seats if you planning on owning the car for very long. I have had my 2011 for 2 1/2 years and 50k miles of daily commuting and the base cloth driver's seat is just about shot..... I can feel the metal frame in a few places and the padding has collapsed in the bottom. Having it to do over, I would happily paid for the upgrade.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
HBGT

Originally Posted by TheStigSC

Funny, I had the same idea about mine. Mine dad gave me his '67 and I plan to give my son my '07
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Bojangles'

Originally Posted by MadStang40
I actually looked into this today and I can get a pretty good deal on a barely used 2012 or 2013 in Florida. Asking price is about 27-28.5k for a 2012 or 2013 used with anywhere from 9k-16k on the clock.
Got my 2012 gt premium used, with 16k miles for $25,500 about 2 months ago. It has 2.55s and the brembo package. If you're not interested in a premium I'm sure you could find one for $21000-$23000, but I must say the leather is extremely nice.

I would rather buy a slightly used car and get leather then a new one without. Just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove a 2014 5.0 today - Woah