Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2198 and a poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Default P2198 and a poor idle

So yesterday I threw a code for the O2 stuck rich after my 35 mile drive to work and I noticed it had been wanting to die when coming to a stop (going to about 500rpm and saving itself). I have had a exhaust leak from the passenger bank (same bank) FRPP header for some time. I am thinking that the leak is causing this issue and that it is also screwing with my tune causing the idle to come down like that. When the leak first started it would idle down to around 500 once in a blue moon and I am suspecting that it getting worse is what is causing the problems. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation since all the P2198's I've seen have been leaks somewhere else or both codes and I haven't seen one on a blown motor yet.

I will be attempting to retighten the header bolts after work tonight to see if that could possibly solve my problems (with my luck I doubt I fix anything without at least one part though) and going from there.

Any input is appreciated. Also, please keep your fingers crossed for me... haha

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I did an oil change, coolant flush, and put in RP Max ATF (manual) all on Saturday and then sprayed the engine bay down with some degreaser and water and gave her a wash and wax. Irrelevant I would think but I'm used to working in a Toyota Dealer and not Ford so my knowledge for common problems and quirks with my Stang is very limited right now.

Last edited by TheStigSC; 05-06-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Water should not really hurt anything unless your just soaking the top of the engine with a hose like your watering flowers.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Water should not really hurt anything unless your just soaking the top of the engine with a hose like your watering flowers.
Yea in my experience it never has but you never know and I need her to be in tip top shape by next Wednesday so I'm just kinda freaking out haha.

Car's mod list is in my sig. Currently at 46,000 miles.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Well problem seems to be resolved. I don't even want to say what the issue was but, the Air Filter fell off. I'm guessing sometime mid-drive on my way to work. Completely baffled as to how it happened without me noticing. It was there Saturday after I did all that work and it wasn't even touched. That's embarrassing but hey, $h!t happens. That's why there's a screen behind the filter At least it was an easy fix so she'll be ready for Cruisin' Weekend in OCMD.

I reflashed the tune anyway and got a new Spectre cone filter and she's running good as new. I did tighten up some of the bolts on the passenger side header that were slightly loose and it quieted up a tiny bit, but the leak is still there. But that is for another day
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well that would do it, air filter not being on caused a huge air flow issue and threw that code. Still odd they don't really ever come off.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Well that would do it, air filter not being on caused a huge air flow issue and threw that code. Still odd they don't really ever come off.
Yea and I mean this thing was on tight. Before I RETIGHTENED it, I was pulling on it with probably almost half of my 235lb body weight and it wasn't budging. Mind boggling. Needless to say she got tightened down even tighter haha
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You have a screen behind your air filter? Is that part of the kenne bell kit?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
So yesterday I threw a code for the O2 stuck rich after my 35 mile drive to work and I noticed it had been wanting to die when coming to a stop (going to about 500rpm and saving itself). I have had a exhaust leak from the passenger bank (same bank) FRPP header for some time. I am thinking that the leak is causing this issue and that it is also screwing with my tune causing the idle to come down like that. When the leak first started it would idle down to around 500 once in a blue moon and I am suspecting that it getting worse is what is causing the problems. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation since all the P2198's I've seen have been leaks somewhere else or both codes and I haven't seen one on a blown motor yet.

I will be attempting to retighten the header bolts after work tonight to see if that could possibly solve my problems (with my luck I doubt I fix anything without at least one part though) and going from there.

Any input is appreciated. Also, please keep your fingers crossed for me... haha

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I did an oil change, coolant flush, and put in RP Max ATF (manual) all on Saturday and then sprayed the engine bay down with some degreaser and water and gave her a wash and wax. Irrelevant I would think but I'm used to working in a Toyota Dealer and not Ford so my knowledge for common problems and quirks with my Stang is very limited right now.
Might want to pull that header and double gasket it...wont leak again for sure, probably has a bit of a warp to it.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You have a screen behind your air filter? Is that part of the kenne bell kit?
Yea it is. Right before the MAF. The filter gets tightened onto the screen.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
Might want to pull that header and double gasket it...wont leak again for sure, probably has a bit of a warp to it.
Is that what people are doing to fix the header leaks? Or at least with the FRPP shorties? I bought the replacement gaskets but really don't want to go through the install process (at least not now while I'm so busy---I don't like working on my car when I'm stressed haha)

Quick Reply: P2198 and a poor idle