MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Small rust spots on roof (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/695135-small-rust-spots-on-roof.html)

mustangspotential 05-12-2013 09:05 PM

Small rust spots on roof
 
Hey guys, so I have a question, what can I do about very small rust spots like this? (pictured below). I noticed one when I got the car, but now I notice 2 on my roof. I don't want it to keep spreading and obviously want it to look better.

Can I just get some rustoleum from the hardware store, lightly sand it, and then fill it with touch up paint? I have touch up paint.

Thanks in advance.

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4421/021xau.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/9305/020dp.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/247/019hyq.jpg

mapitts 05-12-2013 09:41 PM

Looks like rail dust from shipping. It takes a while, but you will see a spot of rust with a bulls eye of rust in the middle. Clay bar it out and wax it over. Also check your hood, top and your rear deck panel, As well as your rear bumper cover. really does not take that long to get out. I have a white car and I am still running across it from time to time.

2005Redfire6 05-12-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapitts (Post 8212278)
Looks like rail dust from shipping. It takes a while, but you will see a spot of rust with a bulls eye of rust in the middle. Clay bar it out and wax it over. Also check your hood, top and your rear deck panel, As well as your rear bumper cover. really does not take that long to get out. I have a white car and I am still running across it from time to time.

A new car I would think but something that is 7 years old? I think its just paint that was missing there down to the bare metal leaving it exposed to rust.

808muscle 05-13-2013 12:06 AM

I have one too. I never thought to try a claybar.

mapitts 05-13-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 (Post 8212281)
A new car I would think but something that is 7 years old? I think its just paint that was missing there down to the bare metal leaving it exposed to rust.

The one by the window you may be right. The one on the top looks like a rail dust spot in the pic to me. If it is not waxed often it will show up eventually. I have them still popping up on my '12 and it is almost 2 years old.

2005Redfire6 05-13-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapitts (Post 8212434)
The one by the window you may be right. The one on the top looks like a rail dust spot in the pic to me. If it is not waxed often it will show up eventually. I have them still popping up on my '12 and it is almost 2 years old.

Ahhh okay, I see what you are saying now.

POWERMAN_ 05-13-2013 10:39 AM

1) Clay Bar
2) Rust killer / IronX
3) layer up using touch up paint matched to your paint code (available at your dealership or Duplicolor)
4) Save the last layer for clearcoat

SpartaPerformance 05-13-2013 07:33 PM

That's not rail dust, those are chips in paint. The factory paint concerns would be bubbling in paint not exposed rusted metal. It's a 2006 with whatever miles on it.

POWERMAN_ 05-14-2013 11:40 AM

What did you decide OP?

mustangspotential 05-14-2013 09:03 PM

I'm going to have at it probably this weekend with your advice POWER. Going to clay bar the area, use some rust remover, touch up paint and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.