Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner (soon)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default New Owner (soon)

Hey everyone!

I'll be buying a 2014 v6 at the end of this year, and I figured I would register on these forums to stay in the loop. I'm excited to be a stang owner, especially considering I am upgrading from a tiny 100HP hyundai.

A few quick questions:
1) I've read about oil separators to keep oil vapor from collecting on valves and in the intake. I plan to install one of these as soon as I take delivery of the car. Are there any recommended models? The one I'm currently looking at is the JLT oil separator.
2) Are there any other basic mods to protect the engine/car? I plan to run Royal Purple after my first oil change for the life of the vehicle.
3) In regards to detailing, I have read the detailing forum, but I can't understand a lot of it. Do these cars really need to be detailed/waxed/polished weekly to keep the body looking good? Are there any detailing guides for newbies like myself who typically use the auto car wash down the street?

Any other info/suggestions, I am open ears. So happy to be here!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
...A few quick questions:
1) I've read about oil separators to keep oil vapor from collecting on valves and in the intake. I plan to install one of these as soon as I take delivery of the car. Are there any recommended models? The one I'm currently looking at is the JLT oil separator.
2) Are there any other basic mods to protect the engine/car? I plan to run Royal Purple after my first oil change for the life of the vehicle.
3) In regards to detailing, I have read the detailing forum, but I can't understand a lot of it. Do these cars really need to be detailed/waxed/polished weekly to keep the body looking good? Are there any detailing guides for newbies like myself who typically use the auto car wash down the street?

1) I don't have a catch can but I'm sure others will pitch in.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "...mods to protect the engine/car". Mods are either performance or visual. And I'm not a RP oil fan although some folks do run it. If you need a boutique oil, Amsoil is my boutique of choice in the Stang but I run M1 and Pennzoil full synthetics in my wife's Stang and my SUV. And if you insist on changing the synthetics at anything less than 7k miles (I change mine at about 10k miles, even in the tow vehicles and typically run all my cars beyond 200,000 miles with no issues), consider the synthetic blend which is what is likely in the 2014's from the factory which is good for 7k miles (at least that's what earlier models came with).

3) I wouldn't take a thing of such beauty to ANY automatic car wash unless you don't mind swirl marks. Hand washing is the only way to go, IMO. I don't have any touchless car washes near me so I can't say but I'm skeptical.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to ask, ask, ask after you search, search, search!

Last edited by Nuke; 05-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
1) I don't have a catch can but I'm sure others will pitch in.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "...mods to protect the engine/car". Mods are either performance or visual. And I'm not a RP oil fan although some folks do run it. If you need a boutique oil, Amsoil is my boutique of choice in the Stang but I run M1 and Pennzoil full synthetics in my wife's Stang and my SUV. And if you insist on changing the synthetics at anything less than 7k miles (I change mine at about 10k miles, even in the tow vehicles and typically run all my cars beyond 200,000 miles with no issues), consider the synthetic blend which is what is likely in the 2014's from the factory which is good for 7k miles (at least that's what earlier models came with).

3) I wouldn't take a thing of such beauty to ANY automatic car wash unless you don't mind swirl marks. Hand washing is the only way to go, IMO. I don't have any touchless car washes near me so I can't say but I'm skeptical.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to ask, ask, ask after you search, search, search!
Thanks for your reply.

In my mind "mods" = "modifications" which can mean anything modifying the stock condition of the car. None the less, I want to know of any similar... "things" like the oil catch that are frequently used to protect the engine and/or car.

I absolutely agree with you, no way in hell am I bringing this babe to any car wash. I just am not sure exactly how to hand wash, as I've never done it before. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The biggest thing to remember when washing anything is to remove as much loose dirt/grime as possible first with a hose or pressure wash (try to stay away from high pressure) before touching the surface. Then, I prefer to use a microfiber cloth or wash mit with a large bucket (a 5 gallon paint or drywall pail works great) with most any brand car wash detergent and be sure to drench the mit or cloth and wash a small section, then generously dip the cloth /mit to dislodge any debris and then do another section. Irrigation is the key so the debris can flow off the vehicle and out of the cloth when you hit the pail. Work from top to bottom, rinsing as you go. I try to wash in the shade. Get some good microfiber towels to dry. I have about 4 large towels for drying and a pile of smaller microfibers for the wheels and, as they get stained, those are used for the door jambs, engine bay and anywhere else you don't want to use a good, unstained microfiber. I usually don't bother with wheel cleaner and use what's in the bucket unless the wheels are beyond bad, at which point I do keep the appropriate spray-on cleaner on-hand.

As far as waxing, that's a whole other science...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The biggest thing to remember when washing anything is to remove as much loose dirt/grime as possible first with a hose or pressure wash (try to stay away from high pressure) before touching the surface. Then, I prefer to use a microfiber cloth or wash mit with a large bucket (a 5 gallon paint or drywall pail works great) with most any brand car wash detergent and be sure to drench the mit or cloth and wash a small section, then generously dip the cloth /mit to dislodge any debris and then do another section. Irrigation is the key so the debris can flow off the vehicle and out of the cloth when you hit the pail. Work from top to bottom, rinsing as you go. I try to wash in the shade. Get some good microfiber towels to dry. I have about 4 large towels for drying and a pile of smaller microfibers for the wheels and, as they get stained, those are used for the door jambs, engine bay and anywhere else you don't want to use a good, unstained microfiber. I usually don't bother with wheel cleaner and use what's in the bucket unless the wheels are beyond bad, at which point I do keep the appropriate spray-on cleaner on-hand.

As far as waxing, that's a whole other science...
Sounds good man thanks so much for your input! It seems straight forward.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
Hey everyone!

I'll be buying a 2014 v6 at the end of this year, and I figured I would register on these forums to stay in the loop. I'm excited to be a stang owner, especially considering I am upgrading from a tiny 100HP hyundai.

A few quick questions:

1) UPR catch can is the way to go. I run one. Never run the JLT, but from what I have read UPR catches more oil. You can buy two (one for each bank), but really only need one for the passenger side bank.

2) Royal purple is totally unneccessary, but if it gives you peace of mind then use it. Otherwise, Full Synthetic or Synth Blend will be just fine.

3) Like Nuke said, NEVER use auto car wash. Think of it as bonding time with your new wife. Google search "2 bucket car wash". Having the separate buckets makes a huge difference. I clay bar twice per year and wax when I do that. I wash in-between with "nanowax" car wash. Most people would think that 2 times per year is overkill, but MOST people don't own a car that they love more than their wife! Actually, most guys on this forum think that waxing 2 times per year is blasphemous, but to each their own.

Why wait so long? Pull the trigger! Buy the car NOW, you will not regret it!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
1) UPR catch can is the way to go. I run one. Never run the JLT, but from what I have read UPR catches more oil. You can buy two (one for each bank), but really only need one for the passenger side bank.

2) Royal purple is totally unneccessary, but if it gives you peace of mind then use it. Otherwise, Full Synthetic or Synth Blend will be just fine.

3) Like Nuke said, NEVER use auto car wash. Think of it as bonding time with your new wife. Google search "2 bucket car wash". Having the separate buckets makes a huge difference. I clay bar twice per year and wax when I do that. I wash in-between with "nanowax" car wash. Most people would think that 2 times per year is overkill, but MOST people don't own a car that they love more than their wife! Actually, most guys on this forum think that waxing 2 times per year is blasphemous, but to each their own.

Why wait so long? Pull the trigger! Buy the car NOW, you will not regret it!
Thank you so much for your comments! Twice a year sounds absolutely great for the clay bar and wax.

I am young young young (think not old enough to drink) haha. I've worked very hard through high school and currently my college studies to be in the financial position I am. In december I'll have even better credit than I have now, and with my $7,000 down payment, I'll have financing better than either of my parents could afford.

My goal since I was like 6 has been to buy a sports car before I turn 25. These last 7 months are nothing, compared to the 14 years I've waited so far. I am more excited than I can put into words. Every day I wake up, its the first thing I think of.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM
MF.Stage3

Just out of curiosity, why are you getting the 2014? You could probably save a ton of money by getting practically the same car in the 2013 model. Especially if you can find one new, which I doubt will be hard, around the end of the year. From my understanding the only difference 2014 will bring is a black out option? I doubt there will be any significant changes due to the 2015 model.

Congrats on living your dream! I was pretty similar to you, grew up loving sport cars. My family had a red '67 fastback when I was young, and I was instantly hooked. I talked my grandma into getting me a POS used v6 mustang when I turned 16. From there I saved and worked my way up to a GT. Several cars later (I'm sort of addicted to trading cars), I'm in a ROUSH Stage 3. Enjoy the car!!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MF.Stage3
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting the 2014? You could probably save a ton of money by getting practically the same car in the 2013 model. Especially if you can find one new, which I doubt will be hard, around the end of the year. From my understanding the only difference 2014 will bring is a black out option? I doubt there will be any significant changes due to the 2015 model.

Congrats on living your dream! I was pretty similar to you, grew up loving sport cars. My family had a red '67 fastback when I was young, and I was instantly hooked. I talked my grandma into getting me a POS used v6 mustang when I turned 16. From there I saved and worked my way up to a GT. Several cars later (I'm sort of addicted to trading cars), I'm in a ROUSH Stage 3. Enjoy the car!!
Do you think I will be able to find a 2013 v6 at the end of this year? If so, hell yeah I would go for that. Only worry would be that it had sat for so long, any concerns there?

My local dealer has a few '13 GTs loaded (aka $$) and a GT500 on the lot, thats it.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM
MF.Stage3

I guess it depends on where you live. I live in a very large city, so I could easily find a '13 v6 if that's what I was in the market for.

Quick Reply: New Owner (soon)