Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got in my first accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Default Got in my first accident

Unfortunately a lot of you know how i feel, i was trying hard to not conform to the stereotype, but a lack of patience jacked my **** UP. Fortunately the damage seems minimal for both cars, it was a lack of judgement and really bad timing. I'm looking at a new passenger front fender, a front bumper cover, (a new headlight splitter, optional) and a new steering tie-rod. I'm not sure if I'm eating the costs or filing a claim, that depends on the other guys bill. Tires and wheel seem fine minus a little extra wear from driving it home with no steering. (about a block and a half)

I'm looking for advice,
1). Have any of you replaced this tie-rod? I can tow it to my lift but would rather change it in me driveway, have it aligned, then worry about body damage with a driveable car

2) What else should I be looking at as far as damage? there doesn't seem to be anything else but I would like to be sure something else isn't bent or outta line

3) I'm not looking for sympathy, this was my fault and I am dreading it but I can take whatever anyone has to say, I' AM that 20 year old who crashed his mustang, sue me. I am (stupid, arrogant, hot-headed, *****, jackass) pick your fav and add a comment, and feel free to be creative.

4) This was a simple traffic accident but I feel like that dick who wrecked his car on here cutting curves away at college a couple months back. But I guess accidents happen, any positive advise is happily welcomed. **** if you tell me my wheels suck or I should match the other side or pull off the stripes, best to get it out now, not that i want to add more expense but I'm willing to look at a different direction.

TLDR; this happened

IMG_1231 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8739021907_cbdbdf24d4_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@8739021907@@AMEPARAM@@cbdbdf24d4 IMG_1231 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8739021907_cbdbdf24d4_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@8739021907@@AMEPARAM@@cbdbdf24d4 by ylayRay, on Flickr
IMG_1232 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/8740139182_1d167e3dfc_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@8740139182@@AMEPARAM@@1d167e3dfc IMG_1232 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/8740139182_1d167e3dfc_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@8740139182@@AMEPARAM@@1d167e3dfc by ylayRay, on Flickr

Last edited by Rylay; 05-14-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

We have all made mistakes. At least you and the other driver did not get hurt. Good luck in getting it fixed.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Don't feel to bad. my wife is 36 and she still drives like an arrogant 20 year old hot-headed *****! By some miracle she has not been in an accident that was her fault in the 13 years we've been married.

You'll need to remove the inner tie rod boot to change it, the outer tie rod may still be useable. You may or may not need a special tool to change the inner tie rod, but I'm sure you can rent it at autozone if you do.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

If you don't file a claim and the other guy sues, might you be on your own as far as your insurer is concerned? I'm not a lawyer but going out-side the lines gives insurers an out for being involved or paying you or others who may be wearing a neck braces.

Ask a jail-house lawyer or if someone else here has experience chime-in? Is there a Mustang Law site? Just to be safe, ask around you might see the guy again with a neck brace on.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

that actually helps a lot, thanks.

5) any help on removing the fender and front bumper cover? a headlight housing was also cracked
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
If you don't file a claim and the other guy sues, might you be on your own as far as your insurer is concerned? I'm not a lawyer but going out-side the lines gives insurers an out for being involved or paying you or others who may be wearing a neck braces.

Ask a jail-house lawyer or if someone else here has experience chime-in? Is there a Mustang Law site? Just to be safe, ask around you might see the guy again with a neck brace on.
the choices are between filing a claim and eating the expense, i can manage either but its leaning toward filing an insuarance claim which i havent done yet so there is a little leeway

if he pulled the neck brace ****, then he would have to file a case with the police, in which case insurance would eat it, the guy was a year older than me, and lives only a block away from me so it wont likely come to that

Last edited by Rylay; 05-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I almost crashed my car this morning flooring it 1-2 at zero degree, the car moved right of the lane directy in a brick wall after spinning a bit more then usual, somehow it replaced itself a few inch before hitting it up, i was brainless tired and didnt use any judgement and felt like one big idiot after that. So dont worry lol **** happen, i just got more lucky then you, but this isnt my first noob move, once a while i get retarded and that can be costy lol

Gl with repair
Old 05-15-2013, 06:46 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
that actually helps a lot, thanks.

5) any help on removing the fender and front bumper cover? a headlight housing was also cracked

The front bumper cover is easy to remove. There's a few how to's on here or just do a google search. The hardest part is reaching the outer most screws on each side of the bumper. If you lay your head just in front of the front tires and look up, you'll see the two screws on each side that hold the bumper cover on. I think the rest is just held on with clips and you just have to pull forward. There are two bolts under the hood.

Inner tie rod is only $40, the outer is only $25 if you need it.

ACDelco 45A2187 Professional Steering Linkage Inner Tie Rod : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 45A2187 Professional Steering Linkage Inner Tie Rod : Amazon.com : Automotive

I don't know what the other guys car looks like, but this stuff adds up fast. Probably better to just get it fixed through insurance.

Last edited by moosestang; 05-15-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I'm most likely going thru insuarance at this point, but I might just try and get a settlement check and fix it myself (except painting new parts obviously)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

To the OP. I applaud you for manning up and admitting your mistake ( if I read your post right) and not trying to throw all of the blame on anything you could. That is something that is really hard to find in most people today. Hope it turns out well for you.

Quick Reply: Got in my first accident