Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Prothane motor mounts, again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

I was able to access all motor mount (Prothane) bolts by reaching over the fenders with extensions when I installed my Kooks LT headers. I now have BBK shorties and I had to tighten the bolts from underneath with a ratcheting wrench... they do fit with the BBKs though.

Last edited by Esch; 07-07-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Esch
I was able to access all motor mount (Prothane) bolts by reaching over the fenders with extensions when I installed my Kooks LT headers. I now have BBK shorties and I had to tighten the bolts from underneath with a ratcheting wrench... they do fit with the BBKs though.
When you pulled the engine off the mounts, did you use the top bolt on the mount and just get at it from below or did you use the two bolts from the mount to the frame? Or even the four bolts that connect the engine block to that mounting arm?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Pardon my nubness here, but what are the pros/cons of these prothane mounts?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
When you pulled the engine off the mounts, did you use the top bolt on the mount and just get at it from below or did you use the two bolts from the mount to the frame? Or even the four bolts that connect the engine block to that mounting arm?
I installed them when I installed my headers. I had the motor jacked up using a floor jack and some books (phone book will work) under the oil pan. I raised the motor maybe 2 inches after taking off the nuts from the center posts of the stock motor mounts. From there I unbolted the motor mount brackets from the block (the 4 bolts) which allowed easy access for the motor mount removal. Install prothane mounts using the stock bolts (on each side of the mount), install motor mount brackets back to the block, lower motor, insert and tighten the new center motor mount bolts.

Note: Since I couldn't get to the bolts from the top with my BBKs, there was no way I was going to get a 8mm allen socket/ratchet from underneath (the prothane mounts came with allen bolts)... so I went to the local hardware store and picked up matching bolts that had a 17mm hex head and used a ratcheting wrench to tighten.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

I'm not feeling it guys. I put the Prothane mounts on mine, and I felt a bit of a difference but not much. I do have the Prothane mounts with the JBA shortys and did not have any issues. I did a lot of work to my car all at once though, I had the power steering pump off at the time, and slid the driver side header in from the front of the motor. Don't know if that helps any or not.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Esch
I installed them when I installed my headers. I had the motor jacked up using a floor jack and some books (phone book will work) under the oil pan. I raised the motor maybe 2 inches after taking off the nuts from the center posts of the stock motor mounts. From there I unbolted the motor mount brackets from the block (the 4 bolts) which allowed easy access for the motor mount removal. Install prothane mounts using the stock bolts (on each side of the mount), install motor mount brackets back to the block, lower motor, insert and tighten the new center motor mount bolts.

Note: Since I couldn't get to the bolts from the top with my BBKs, there was no way I was going to get a 8mm allen socket/ratchet from underneath (the prothane mounts came with allen bolts)... so I went to the local hardware store and picked up matching bolts that had a 17mm hex head and used a ratcheting wrench to tighten.
Good idea with the bolts. That's a way better idea than Allen heads. I'm hopefully going to take a crack at this tonight. Gonna be a SOB with the JBA headers but oh well lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Pardon my nubness here, but what are the pros/cons of these prothane mounts?
Basically they are stiffer (don't move as much) so your acceleration is a little more crisp. Unfortunately, being stiffer, they don't offer as much of a buffer for vibration so you feel some vibration and get a little more noise at idle. They are also made of better stuff than stock so they last longer.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Got the mounts installed last night. Thanks for the info Esch, it helped plenty.

Little more vibration at idle. Nothing uncomfortable or even annoying though. Nothing at all up high. I really notice it when I'm taking off from a stop, but other than that I never feel it.

Throttle response is vastly improved in 5th gear on the highway. The other great improvement is how smooth my shifts are now. No more trying to jiggle it into the right spot.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Got the mounts installed last night. Thanks for the info Esch, it helped plenty.

Little more vibration at idle. Nothing uncomfortable or even annoying though. Nothing at all up high. I really notice it when I'm taking off from a stop, but other than that I never feel it.

Throttle response is vastly improved in 5th gear on the highway. The other great improvement is how smooth my shifts are now. No more trying to jiggle it into the right spot.
Good to hear you got them installed, and I'm glad I could offer some help... I've gotten a ton of info from this board myself so it's nice to return the favor.

My experiences with the mounts are pretty similar. I actually welcome the increased "vibration" - it's not like parts inside the car are rattling now or anything. I like feeling the car jolt a bit when you start it up. If I wanted a nice car that you couldn't hear or feel from the inside, I'd have saved my money and bought a Mercedes or BMW. It may be from the headers as well, but I like the fact that you can almost "feel" the exhaust now instead of just hearing the "buzz" inside the cabin.