Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Garage

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Default No Garage

Hey guys,

Do you think its worth it to use a car cover on your daily driver if its kept in a parking space, instead of a garage?

Any care/maintenance tips for keeping it outside?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

In an apartment complex? I'd think if it looks like you care a lot for your car it's more likely to be vandalized.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

You have to make sure there is no dust on the car when you put the cover on...otherwise it's sandpaper! Too much work....I won't do it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Hopefully I can offer some advice here. I kept my car parked outside while living at at apt complex for a year and a half.

1. Don't get a car cover if this is your DD. You will pick up fine dust/dirt during the course of the day that will swirl your paint when you put that cover on.

2. Ever heard that saying "Don't **** in your own backyard?" Well, don't. Don't rev up your car in its spot or drive aggressively in the complex. That makes people envious and/or pissed off. Most importantly, it makes you noticed. Something you don't want when your car is left out in the open while you sleep at night.

3. Back to the attention thing, don't make a big deal out of cleaning up your car. People will notice and people are ********. Trust me on this one.

4. Try to find a a corner spot that will allow you to hug the curb. Also, make small talk whenever you see your neighbors that park next to you outside. Being nice to them goes a long way in determining how careful they are around you car.

5. Get wax on that car and keep it on. Get vinyl treatment on the door sills/cowl area and get that sunscreen up. Those three things should minimize the damage the summer sun can do to your car.

Good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on getting swirl marks. I garage my Stang and I only cover it after it's been washed to keep it dust free BEFORE I put any mileage on it (my Stang isn't my DD and may sit in the garage for a few weeks after a fresh wash). Once it's been driven and even sitting garaged, I won't put the cover on unless I feel confident that the surface is still devoid of any scratch-causing debris. Even then my wife and I work together to do more of a "drop-on" method of covering in lieu of a "pull-over"; same thing when we remove it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Code Vision
Hey guys,

Do you think its worth it to use a car cover on your daily driver if its kept in a parking space, instead of a garage?

Any care/maintenance tips for keeping it outside?
Definitely don't cover the car unless perfectly clean, but for your DD you will find it much easier to just not even use a cover, ever. Even if you didn't have to worry about scratching, it would be such a pain to cover/uncover every time you use the car!

I owned a convertible that I kept outside all year long for 4 years in the Northeast. I made it a point to clay bar + wax the car in the early spring and early fall. In between I would wash the car and made sure to use UV protectant on all seals and vinyl. Clay bar might be a bit much, but at the very least wax your car twice per year and it will hold up just fine out in the elements.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The OP wants the car to stay clean. Parked outside?... Ain't gonna happen.

As stated above, keep up with a good wax and the frequent washings will be that much easier.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I live in a apt complex and I always make sure I park in a corner spot, hug the curb and yes, be nice to the people around you goes a long way in any situation. I have a custom deluxe covercraft made for mustangs that i bought from A.M. It lasted me almost a year before the exhaust pipes tore thru it and the mirror covers tore off.... Its not my daily driver and I kept the cover on for a week and drive the car on weekends. I think it was better just to use the cover in the event of a storm or if your going to a show N shine the next day, but to use it like I did I think was a waste of money. Just wash the car every week and apply wax every 3-6 months and your fine......
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

I'm not in an apt complex, but my car stays out of the garage all the time.

Just keep it waxed and dressed properly and you will be fine. Car cover is a mistake for a daily driver if nothing else for the major pain in the butt it would be taking it off and putting it on every day.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I covered my car in the covered spots they had. It was an extra 15 dollars a month for the covered space. Nobody ever vandalized it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Garage