Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a glass pack exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
ejones

Default Adding a glass pack exhaust

I have a 2006 v6 4.0L 5 speed manual transmission with a dual exhaust with stock gt mufflers and a bbk cai. I was considering adding a pair of dynomax 24240 glass packs. I heard it might make it quieter. Anyone out there done this? Does it quiet down the exhaust? What effect would it have?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

are you replacing the stock mufflers with glass packs or in addition to the stock exhaust. In addition would quiet the car down.

Keep in mind that glass packs by themselves get louder as they break in so if you remove the mufflers and replace with glass packs they may be the same loudness for a month or so depending on how much you drive.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
ejones

The glass packs would be in addition to the stock mufflers. With the glass packs plus mufflers there, would it always be quieter than just the stock mufflers? (even over time?) Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

yes, it would be quieter than just the stock setup. Anytime you ADD a restriction into your exhaust you are taking away from the sound.

If you remove the mufflers and replace them with glass packs, it will be louder than with the mufflers because the glass packs are less restrictive.

If you simply add glass packs to your existing exhaust you will be quieter because of the added restriction (Muffler + glass packs) as oppossed to (mufflers alone or glass packs alone).
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
05WIMustang
1st Gear Member

I thought about adding some glass packs as well to my V6 (with the existing single GT take off muffler).......Maybe make it a little quieter, but deeper ?

Listen to how a V6 Mustang with a 3.7 liter, and then listen to a F150 with the same engine sounds. Its all in the muffler!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Adding glass packs, to your Mustang Z71?

There are lots and lots of Mustang appropriate exhaust options.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
ejones

Hi. You said that glass packs get louder over time. Does this mean that there will come a time where they degrade to something like an open pipe? OR Does this mean after a short break in time they get louder but then forever stay at the same volume? Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
yes, it would be quieter than just the stock setup. Anytime you ADD a restriction into your exhaust you are taking away from the sound.

If you remove the mufflers and replace them with glass packs, it will be louder than with the mufflers because the glass packs are less restrictive.
Actually, no. Glasspacks are loud because they have a minimal amount of sound absorption abilities (in this case, packing), but they are essentially straight through. If you put on a large-case muffler that has only a perforated tube straight through the middle with glass packing, it will be quieter than one with a glasspack. If you add any muffler to an existing exhaust system with a muffler it will be quieter because you're adding additional muffling to the system.

ejones, are you trying to make the car quieter? Glasspacks have a tendency to "blow out" over time...that is, the fiberglass packing blows out of the muffler, so they get louder.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
ejones

Yes, I am trying to quiet down the exhaust. I am considering glass packs in addition to the dual exhaust stock mufflers. Derf00 said it would be quieter but then after a break in period it would get louder. I was just wondering if it continues to get louder over its lifetime or it stopped at one point? THe blow-out you describe sounds like it will continue to get louder over it's lifetime. Is there any other mid-mufflers to consider?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Why not just weld in some resonators?

Quick Reply: Adding a glass pack exhaust