Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No hill assist

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

The HSA on mine when it engages is pretty uninstrusive, goes off right away when the clutch grabs. Granted I'm not running the rpms up or anything that might result in wheel spin, but why would you on a hill.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I forgot to add the HSA is a little handy when getting the old girl on ramps. In sport mode it is turned off anyway, so I just leave it alone.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yes, there are a few situations where it could come in handy.

I'm just philosophically opposed to having interferences such as this be defaulted-on, on several levels. Insulates the driver further from the detail tasks of controlling the vehicle, introduces nonlinear behavior (car won't drive quite the same all the time), potential in traffic that the guy behind you in an automatic-tranny vehicle won't understand why you're a little slow off the mark at a traffic light, etc.

My wife's Subaru Legacy has HSA (aka "Hill Holder" in Subaru-speak), but it's defaulted-off and switchable on the fly, so I do have a little direct experience with this sort of thing.

Norm
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

I've pretty much confirmed that mine is not working... Tried a dozen times yesterday on hills and could not get it to work. My concern is that there could be some issue with the car such as a wheel speed sensor problem...but I don't have a CEL.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

For some reason couldn't get mine to work as well.

I tried the procedure to turn it off and then back on, the procedure worked but no change the Hill Start Assist does not work for me !
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

I finally got mine to work!

I feel like a fool now, but the system isn't too effective if you have to really try to get it to work. Seems like it works intermittently...but you have to make sure you follow the sequence perfectly. Thank you Norm Peterson for the write up!!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

ok, wtf is a hill assist?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Another nanny dreamed up by the busybodies (who likely only drive automatics) who can't understand that the required three pedals/two feet co-ordination really does come with only a little practice.

Crudely, it's supposed to keep you from rolling back when you're starting from a complete stop going uphill and you have a manual transmission. If you're new to stick-shift cars or live in an extremely busy and hilly region (San Francisco), it can be of some benefit, and there probably are a few other very narrowly defined situations. For the majority of experienced MT drivers most of the time, it has the potential for getting in the way more than it'll actually help. Never mind the bad habit that it teaches.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-27-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
I finally got mine to work!

I feel like a fool now, but the system isn't too effective if you have to really try to get it to work. Seems like it works intermittently...but you have to make sure you follow the sequence perfectly. Thank you Norm Peterson for the write up!!
Do you mean you had to re-enable the feature or just the procedure of using it ?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

This video is for those that need hill assist. Yes, Jesse is talking to you.

Quick Reply: No hill assist