Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No hill assist

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Default No hill assist

My 2013 manual transmission GT does not have hill assist for some reason. No check engine light, but I have not checked for any DTC's. Is there a way to turn it on or off? I don't need the hill assist per se, but I am just concerned because it never has worked. Bought the car brand new with 6 miles on it.

Also, is there any form of skip shift in the 13's? I don't have any skip shift.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
TRMach

I believe the skip shift has been eliminated from the '13+ cars.

No idea on the hill assist.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

I didn't even know we had the hill assist until I saw a post about it. So tried it out yesterday and sure enough it's there. It does seem to be somewhat random when it works. I was on a pretty steep hill and it didn't engage but then I was in a drive though line and it did. Be sure you push the break all the way down.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
aleit2013
1st Gear Member

You also have to be in 1st gear for it to work. It will roll back all day long if you just leave it in neutral, even with the clutch in and letting off the brake.

Its there. All 13s have it.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

I tested it out the other day when pulling the car into my storage unit. There is rather steep bump to get past the door and in 1st the car will roll back...i dont daily drive it tho. Going to have the car out all weekend, I will keep testing it...
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

That's awesome that ford eliminated skip shift in the '13's. I hate that stupid *** 'feature' in my '12.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Was it a 1st to 4th skip? or 1st to 3rd?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Was it a 1st to 4th skip? or 1st to 3rd?
1st to 4th. It lugs the motor way too much for my liking. When cruising around town I like to shift 1st to 3rd to 5th. I'm going to disable skip shift hopefully this summer.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
1st to 4th. It lugs the motor way too much for my liking. When cruising around town I like to shift 1st to 3rd to 5th. I'm going to disable skip shift hopefully this summer.

Most custom tunes delete it. If you are not going to tune it, next time you are changing your oil, just unplug it and tape up the connectors. If you have your tape with you, it takes 2 minutes tops. I also agree that skip shift in a manual is the stupidest thing to come in a long time.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I know I've seen a fussy little sequence of things that will switch the HSA default from on to off or vice-versa . . . found it on pages 171 & 172 of the 2013 owner manual.

You have 45 seconds to complete the entire sequence, else you have to start over from the beginning.

Ignition off

1. P-brake applied
2. Turn ignition on
3. Put transmission in neutral
4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal 5 times (make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time)
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return to the original position
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return to the original position
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal 5 times (make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time)

ABS icon will flash 3 times if you disabled HSA, twice if you enabled it. This will be the new default setting unless/until you run through the above procedure again.

Separately, if AdvanceTrac is disabled, so is HSA regardless of the HSA default setting.

I don't know if the Mustang's HSA is as intrusive as the Camaro's apparently is - people over there are either stalling because of it or wheelspinning on occasion to overcome it - but at least Ford (and Dodge) give you the option to either use it or turn it off.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: No hill assist