Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting to the Mustang's size?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
As with any machine, if you operate it long enough, you will get use to it. You will eventually learn every bit of it's dimension down to the centimeter
That may not be true of someone lacking depth perception. I owned the Taurus for fourteen years and was never able to judge distances accurately. I could pull as far forward as I dared, then pull another foot forward, get out and see I'm still two feet away. Parking next to a curb always involved scuffing the tires, because that's how I know I'm close enough

Avoiding circumstances where tightness is required has always been a part of my driving experience and always will be.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Eunox
1st Gear Member

Like someone else said it just takes some practice. If you really want get some parking cones or something and just practice in an empty lot. Have someone helping and they can let you know how much room you have etc, so you can tell from different views (out your rear view, on the sideview mirror, etc) how much space is actually there.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amyhughes
That may not be true of someone lacking depth perception. I owned the Taurus for fourteen years and was never able to judge distances accurately. I could pull as far forward as I dared, then pull another foot forward, get out and see I'm still two feet away. Parking next to a curb always involved scuffing the tires, because that's how I know I'm close enough

Avoiding circumstances where tightness is required has always been a part of my driving experience and always will be.
I parallel park all over NYC on a daily basis and what helps me a lot is a rear view camera. As for the front bumper, it's a little tricky, but turning on your headlights help a lot. Use the reflection from the vehicle in front of you to help judge how close you are. If you can't see your headlights anymore, then you're obviously very close. OR in your case, since your deph perception is so bad, just add a license plate camera to your front bumper. You can wire it to your aftermarket radio if you have one or get one of those rearview mirrors with a build in display.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Wayno

I'd like to add my 2 cents and it's the opposite of pretty much everyone here. I have been driving a 93 sedan as a DD for 20 yrs until getting an 06 GT about 3yrs ago. This 06 is HUGE compared to my 93. And I mean HUGE. I feel I have more control of my 93 like I fit the car. With the 06 I feel like the car engulfes me and I do not have the control cause of it's heft. This is one of the BIGGEST things I noticed. I have never ever hit a curb with my 93. With the 06 I have hit curbs way too many times then I like to mention.

Just my opinion
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wayno
I'd like to add my 2 cents and it's the opposite of pretty much everyone here. I have been driving a 93 sedan as a DD for 20 yrs until getting an 06 GT about 3yrs ago. This 06 is HUGE compared to my 93. And I mean HUGE. I feel I have more control of my 93 like I fit the car. With the 06 I feel like the car engulfes me and I do not have the control cause of it's heft. This is one of the BIGGEST things I noticed. I have never ever hit a curb with my 93. With the 06 I have hit curbs way too many times then I like to mention.

Just my opinion
Maybe it's because throughout the past 23 years, you have only driven 2 vehicles? and the '93 for 20 years is a LONG time to shake off it's dimensions from your head. People who drive a variety of vehicles often tend to adapt to new vehicles quicker. More often not by choice either. It's human nature I'd say.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amyhughes

Yes. This, this, this, this, this, this, and this. 100%.

I've never even attempted parallel parking in my life, and I almost always seek a spot in a parking lot where I can pull through in order to avoid a) judging the distance between my car and the one in front of me and b) backing up and judging the distance between my car and the one on the left and right as I turn and the ones behind me as I arc around. In fact, as of a few days ago, I had never backed into a parking space, and still haven't tried with cars around. I can barely park in my garage next to my parents vehicles without being scared that the passenger side will hit something.

So.. I park way away from where I need to be, and just walk. It's good exercise and I'm young so I can handle it. I hate not being able to tell depth... I can't play basketball or football or baseball because I can't tell how far away **** is from me. So frustrating!

So getting in the stang, I almost got right back out and was like.. nope! For me its even hard to tell if I am driving 100% in my lane or not, and the stang is much wider and a much different dimensioned type of car. I'm certain I'll adjust to it... I just hope when I get into autocrossing I'll be able to do that with out too much difficulty.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Wayno

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
Maybe it's because throughout the past 23 years, you have only driven 2 vehicles? and the '93 for 20 years is a LONG time to shake off it's dimensions from your head. People who drive a variety of vehicles often tend to adapt to new vehicles quicker. More often not by choice either. It's human nature I'd say.
Actually no. I Have been driving several other vehicles in the 20yrs of driving the Fox daily, some small and some SUV's, to include all types of Military vehicles and 44 passenger bus! and there is no doubt the S197 is much larger and has been difficult getting used to it's size. three yrs of driving it you'd think I'd have it down by now. But hit a curb a couple days ago making a right and hit the right rear tire. Never ever in my 93.

Also if you add a GT500 spoiler forget about trying to back up.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I think you should be fine learning how to drive your new Mustang. Look at the number of people who drive much larger cars-SUVs, vans, Pickups, Big sedans, RVs... The mustangs aren't all that big compared to the average car in my neighborhood.

I admit your mustang feels bigger than the Hyundai, but I believe the fact that you learned to drive your other car suggests that practice is really all you need.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Exley

Mine felt HUGE when I got it. I came from a 97 Altima (Tiny). I was always like 5 ft back from the curb when I parked and I didn't know what to look at coming over the crest of a hill. You adjust pretty quickly though. I do find that I have to be a little more aware of my surroundings. I scope out tight turns with curbs before I make them just to make sure I don't cut it too tight. The Mustang is a very comfortable car for me to drive now and the Altima feels like a toy
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone tried driving a Charger? That was the only time I had a lot of trouble staying in lane just going straight, lol. I felt like I was trying to steer a BOAT on the street.

Quick Reply: Adjusting to the Mustang's size?