MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Adjusting to the Mustang's size? (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/695809-adjusting-to-the-mustangs-size.html)

iamzatch 05-25-2013 09:01 PM

Adjusting to the Mustang's size?
 
Hey guys, I'm buying a Mustang v6 in a few months. I went on a test drive at my dealer this weekend, and I have some questions.

I'm coming from a tiny hyundai 4-door compact car.. getting in the mustang, it felt like a huuuuge car on the road. The windows seemed small, and the frame supports on the right and left side of the windshield seemed to really block my view.

Is it easy to adjust to the size of the car?

I didn't even dare park it in a parking spot because I couldn't tell how far I was away from the car in front of me. Now, I do have an eye condition which makes it difficult to see depth but this thing seemed massive on the road.

Going from a 98HP hyundai to a 305HP mustang was nuts though... wow is all I have to say about that.:icon_musclecar:

xx10Gt 05-25-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8219921)
Hey guys, I'm buying a Mustang v6 in a few months. I went on a test drive at my dealer this weekend, and I have some questions.

I'm coming from a tiny hyundai 4-door compact car.. getting in the mustang, it felt like a huuuuge car on the road. The windows seemed small, and the frame supports on the right and left side of the windshield seemed to really block my view.

Is it easy to adjust to the size of the car?

I didn't even dare park it in a parking spot because I couldn't tell how far I was away from the car in front of me. Now, I do have an eye condition which makes it difficult to see depth but this thing seemed massive on the road.

Going from a 98HP hyundai to a 305HP mustang was nuts though... wow is all I have to say about that.:icon_musclecar:

well that doesnt seem safe... are you prescribed something for it?

And yes, it isnt hard to manage, i adjusted quickly and just got in and drove

iamzatch 05-25-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx10Gt (Post 8219930)
well that doesnt seem safe... are you prescribed something for it?

And yes, it isnt hard to manage, i adjusted quickly and just got in and drove

Yes I wear glasses of course. I was born cross eyed and had surgery of some type which although fixed the cross eye problem, limited my ability for each eye to focus.

Essentially, I mainly look out of one eye and focus with one eye at a time, and the other eye sometimes floats around, or I can use it peripherally. So, only get focus from one eye, the other eye doesn't communicate with the brain, and thus no depth information. It's easy to drive once I know the vehicle, like my current car, I can park it just fine, but since I was in a new car it was difficult at first.

pdonket 05-25-2013 10:03 PM

You'll be fine, the visibility becomes of limited issue after you spend some time in the car. I drove a Camry prior to the current mustang, and visibility is hugely better in the Camry, but after the first drive or two, the mustang didn't seem out of the ordinary at all. The convex blind-spot mirrors on either side mirror help to eliminate blind spots on your sides, and the back windshield (I even have the pedestal spoiler from the factory) allows for plenty of sight to see what's coming up behind you.

In terms of the hood out front, it just takes some adjustment and trial (preferably no error) when parking, etc. but again something that should definitely be easy to get used to. When pulling into parking spots, just imagine having closer to 5 feet extending in front of your car as opposed to probably 2.5 or 3 before.

Murgatroy 05-25-2013 10:41 PM

You will get used to it. On the road I don't notice a size difference between my Mustang and my Celica I have been driving that last 15 years. Granted, I drive my wife's Explorer often and I am a manager in the transportation industry. I spend a lot of time driving tractor trailers.

So I might not be the best to answer the size thing.



The A pillars though, yeah, I have caught myself a time or three having a to stop because a car hid perfectly in them. That is exactly why you look left, right, left, right before you move.

Nuke 05-26-2013 07:55 AM

I actually went in the opposite direction; from an SUV to the Stang. The SUV remains my DD but getting into the Stang is always a pleasure. The adjustment occurs quickly.

Weather Man 05-26-2013 08:27 AM

OP, ask your salesperson to take you to a lot with painted parking. Practice parking the car. If you really can't park it, consider hard if the mustang is the right car for you. Good luck with your purchase.

BrazenStang 05-26-2013 09:12 AM

Adjustment is easy and will happen. The new mustangs are big and heavy even compared to earlier gens. Getting seat time is the only way to master your new car. When parking, take your time and learn to use the mirrors. Don't just go by feel. Have fun and good luck!


Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android

DocSnickers 05-26-2013 10:01 AM

The size and visibility of the new mustangs is on par with my 72 Mach1. Takes some getting use too. Another note sound like you have the same eye condition I do. I get bad headaches since my right eye does most of the work.

Nuke 05-26-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8219931)
... I was born cross eyed and had surgery of some type which although fixed the cross eye problem, limited my ability for each eye to focus.

Essentially, I mainly look out of one eye and focus with one eye at a time, and the other eye sometimes floats around, or I can use it peripherally. So, only get focus from one eye, the other eye doesn't communicate with the brain, and thus no depth information...

No offense, OP but... ummmm... let me know if you'll be driving in Florida! LOL!

Just teasing you, bud. :icon_stooge:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.