Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend Plasti-Dip fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM
JBD3482
2nd Gear Member

Default Weekend Plasti-Dip fun

Finally got around to plasti-dipping my deck lid. Three cans later I was finally done. I sprayed it too heavy on the first one and got a drip. The next one I was trying to get a fuzz ball from a tree out and left a huge gouge. I don't remember how I messed up the next one. It was frustrating but I got it figured out. I love the look and how much I saved over buying a panel or vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails Weekend Plasti-Dip fun-imag0728.jpg   Weekend Plasti-Dip fun-imag0729.jpg   Weekend Plasti-Dip fun-imag0730.jpg   Weekend Plasti-Dip fun-imag0733.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

How much did you save? Vinyl was $20 bucks one and done. Three cans of plastidip at a cost of over $7 bucks per can unless you got them on sale or something. I must say it looks good you did a nice job.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

$17.99 for a vinyl blackout, was finished in ten minutes. Looks good though.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
JBD3482
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07GrabU
How much did you save? Vinyl was $20 bucks one and done. Three cans of plastidip at a cost of over $7 bucks per can unless you got them on sale or something. I must say it looks good you did a nice job.

Thank you. I got my cans for $5 each. I tried vinyl once before on my 2005 and had really bad luck. I did get the vinyl on my tail lights before I did the dip. I have a few bubbles and a crease that I can't get to go away.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JBD3482
Finally got around to plasti-dipping my deck lid. Three cans later I was finally done. I sprayed it too heavy on the first one and got a drip. The next one I was trying to get a fuzz ball from a tree out and left a huge gouge. I don't remember how I messed up the next one. It was frustrating but I got it figured out. I love the look and how much I saved over buying a panel or vinyl.
I like it !

with vinyl you couldn't have done the logo in black. this looks really nice.

how did you do the taillights ? I think I want to do the same on my car.

If you have some plasti dip left, I think you should try to paint the bottom of the spoiler & the mounts in black. it would give it a nice race look.
there's a couple screw that hold it, open the trunk and remove them: with the spoiler out it's probably a lot easier to do this.
and for this job, I don't think anyone could differentiate a mediocre job from a paint shop job as it's half hidden. so no need to redo it several times
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
JBD3482
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cariacou
I like it !

with vinyl you couldn't have done the logo in black. this looks really nice.

how did you do the taillights ? I think I want to do the same on my car.

If you have some plasti dip left, I think you should try to paint the bottom of the spoiler & the mounts in black. it would give it a nice race look.
there's a couple screw that hold it, open the trunk and remove them: with the spoiler out it's probably a lot easier to do this.
and for this job, I don't think anyone could differentiate a mediocre job from a paint shop job as it's half hidden. so no need to redo it several times
Thank you for the comments. For the tail lights I used the vinyl tint kit from the Anchor Room. Up close you can see a few bubbles on the left one. I took a spray bottle and put a few drops of dish soap in it along with water. Then I cleaned the lights and sprayed them with that mixture of soap and water. I then sprayed the back of the vinyl tint and put it on the light. After moving it around for a while I finally got it lined up. Then I sprayed the outside of the vinyl tint with the soap and used a felt covered squeegee to push the bubbles and water out. Next I used a hair dryer to make the tint stick a little better. Then I put the MMD tail light surrounds on.

I was thinking about doing something with the spoiler. Never thought about the bottom of it. That's a great idea!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JBD3482
Thank you. I got my cans for $5 each. I tried vinyl once before on my 2005 and had really bad luck. I did get the vinyl on my tail lights before I did the dip. I have a few bubbles and a crease that I can't get to go away.
Lol that's funny I had trouble with plastidip and ended up getting vinyl.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

looks great, nice job
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Came out well!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Nice job! Well done.
My buddy bought a vinyl magentic blackout panel and it came with several scuff marks. When he washed it , for the first time, with soap and water, it had weird water marks on it. Within a week, the corner started to peel up! Needless to say, he took it off and ask for his money back. I saw it in person and it is not worth the $29 he spent on it.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Weekend Plasti-Dip fun