Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage and System questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Default Roll Cage and System questions

Hey guys. I have a pretty big question I'd like some input on.

To begin, I'm planning on putting a custom audio system in my mustang. Not your everyday big systems, but something in the range of a 10k MSRP install. I used to work at a high end car audio store, and I still get my employee discount, so I'm going all out.

In a nutshell, I'm doing two JL 12W7s in place of the rear seat, full matting throughout the cab, and Focal K2 three ways in the doors. Amps and extra batter in the trunk, likely in the spare tire hole.

Now onto my question: At some point I want to make this into a street/track hotrod. At this point I would need a roll cage of some kind. I don't want to have to work around my system, specifically my custom enclosure in the rear, and I certainly don't want to have to re do it. Thus, I want to put the roll cage in now, and build the system around it.

As for the cage, I'm undecided on what I want. I'd be doing circle track racing, so I'd like maximum chassis stiffness. I'm also the type that thinks if something is worth doing, it's worth doing all out the first time around so you don't have to go back and fix it or add on later.

What should I look for in a cage? For the sake of this discussion, let's say that money isn't an issue if the value is there. I want the best, but a good value. Constructing my own cage isn't out of the question either. I have several friends that made their own cages in their drag cars.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Bump for some help?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

If you want an awesome roll cage set-up that is certified, check out RPM roll cages. You could go cheap and order from Jegs, but then you need a certified welder to install and it is uncoated. Maximum motorsports makes one for half the price of RPM but it doesn't have the features and certifications. Not to mention it is not finished as nice as the RPM's.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Got mine from wokfe racecraft.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Yea I wasn't really looking to spend two grand on a cage just for a guarantee that it'll pass inspection, though those cages are sweeeet. For that kind of money I would definitely just build it myself triple check the rules. The Maximum Motorsports and Wolfe ones ones look awesome as well though though. Apparently Jegs doesn't make them for the S197 though? I didn't see them on the website.

I don't plan on doing any drag racing either, so everything I'm looking at is geared for road racing, though probably just on the casual, weekend warrior side.

As far as the design goes, I like the cages that sit closer to the rear window and curve down rather than going straight down at an angle. It seems like the RPM bar goes straight back, where as the Wolfe curves back.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Also, would a roll cage for one of the new Boss mustangs work? I know they're both S-197s...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

tx_zstang could you post up some pic of your cage by chance?