Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Rattle and Panel Alignment

Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM
klruff1

Default Door Rattle and Panel Alignment

When I purchased my 07 V6 Convertible, I noticed the drivers door was difficult to open and close. I noticed the door latch on the door frame was misaligned, it was too high where it met the door lock mechanism when the door closed and caused a binding. I recently adjusted it downward, and now the door opens and closes with ease, but.....now when I hit bigger bumps in the road the door will rattle (doesn't open than God), so any ideas what to do? The latch is as close as it can get to the frame (inward), so that can't be adjusted. I figured all the way in would keep the door tight to the body. Right now, if you eyeball the door as it closes, the bar of the latch hits towards the top of the door mechanism, should I lower it down to be more centered or towards the bottom?

On the Alignment note, I guess they built these new Mustangs to look like those of the 1960's as I find mine and others I look at, to have the panels misaligned/off center. For example, my passenger door is near perfect, the drivers door is even on bottom, a little in on top. The hood is not centered, more of a gap on the passenger side betweem the fender and hood and tighter gap on the drivers side. Same for the trunk. I noticed this on coupes as well as convertibles. No big deal, just an observation.....
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

both my low milage stangs have had driver door rattles dude....i can live with it tbh
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
2011GTBobby

Originally Posted by klruff1
.....the door opens and closes with ease, but.....now when I hit bigger bumps in the road the door will rattle.....
I have the exact same problem with my 2011 GT coupe. Even with the window all the way up (sealed tight) it does it. When I hit a bump or rough road my drivers door shakes up and down like it is loosely attached (the whole door, not just a rattle in part of it).

I am the original owner and it has done it as long as I remember. I don't know for sure but it seems to get a little worse, but then again it mainly depends on how rough of a bump I hit. I want to lower my currenly stock car but I am afraid if the ride gets even slighty harsher and I hit a tiny bump my door might just pop off lol.

It is REALLY annoying and I even had a Camaro owner friend of mine who was riding with me ask me if my door was going to fall of the first time I hit a small pot hole with him in the car.

I seriously need to remedy this loose door problem, if anyone can help PLEASE, I need it.

Originally Posted by klruff1
.....have the panels misaligned/off center. For example, my passenger door is near perfect, the drivers door is even on bottom, a little in on top. The hood is not centered, more of a gap on the passenger side betweem the fender and hood and tighter gap on the drivers side. Same for the trunk. I noticed this on coupes as well as convertibles.....
I also have this issue. None of the gaps on my car are the same. I didn't really notice it until about a week after I bought the car. The gaps between the hood and the fenders are the worst, crazy off. I try to ignore it but it does make me a bit nuts. But nothing compared to my shaking door issue.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
2011GTBobby

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
both my low milage stangs have had driver door rattles dude....i can live with it tbh
A rattle is one thing, but when I hit a bump the door basically bounces up and down, making a loud clunking. When I hit a bump I can see the whole door move up and down next to me. If I am looking in the mirror when I hit a bump I can see the door bounce up and down relative to the back of the car. I am pretty sure the passenger side door does it to, but I mainly notice the drivers side since I am sitting right next to it.

I personally can't deal with it, I just need to know how to fix it! lol
I love this car to much to let the door shake itself right off the car
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

the stang convertible is about the worst handling car i have ever driven dude..body flex was a joke...
that's why i got rid of it and bought a coupe..
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
2011GTBobby

I have a 2011 Coupe that I am having the door issue with though. I would never buy a 'vert.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I have no such issue with mine. Have you tried tightening the door hing bolts to make sure they havent loosened up.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
2011GTBobby

I tried that and they all seem tight. I tightened them a tiny bit more than how I found them just to be sure, but I don't want to crank on them to hard since I have no idea what the torque specs for these parts are..
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
2011GTBobby

Has ANYONE else had this problem??
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011GTBobby
Has ANYONE else had this problem??
Not here. Is your car still under warranty by any chance?

My 2012 is the quietest and most rattle free convertible I have ever ridden in, so there has to be a fix to your rattling door.

When you are inspecting the latch and hinges do you see any wear marks? With that much movement you should be able to see evidence of wear which should be near a loose bolt or screw. Also, open the door and lift up and down at the end of it. If the hinge is loose then the door will wiggle independent from the car going up and down. Try moving the latch all of the way towards the outside of the car. Maybe the latch mech on the door isn't able to close entirely which would be kinda like not shutting the door all of the way. The only difference is that you think the door is shut and latched because the panels sit flush.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Rattle and Panel Alignment