Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP boost from shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

you will also lose half the weight of the cast iron manifolds! some weight savings is better than none!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

The engine is rated at 300 bhp. The rule of thumb is you lose 15% through the drivetrain, so RWHP should be around 255 stock.

However, even though these engines are built on the same assembly line and technically are all identical, they are not "blueprinted" and tolerances can change slightly as they build the engines. Those slight changes can easily lead to 10-20 hp swings, so one guy might get a great engine with 265 hp at the wheels, where the next guy might get a sloppy one with only 250 at the wheels.

Also, each dyno is going to be slightly different. If the owner of the dyno gets it calibrated from the manufacturer, it should read the same as any other calibrated dyno of the same brand. That is, of course, not always the case.

Then there is ambeint conditions. Elevation, Humidity, and Temperature can easily cause 20-30% changes in horsepower. They try to correct for it by making adjustments to the math that figures your power output, but these corrections are not exactly accurate, so even on a given day, you might see different results on the same car, all other things being equal. You can't expect to see the same results from location to location.

Finally, the temp of the engine makes a huge difference. If it is heat soaked, you will see less power. So if it is driven hard then tested, the power will be less than when the car is barely warmed up to operating temp.

When you combine all these factors, you can see the identical setup make 250 rwhp at one shop, and 305 rwhp at another. Does one really have more power than the other? probably not. Are dyno numbers the "true gauge" of an engine's output? No. Is there a better gauge? Not really.

So what good is a dyno? It is a great tool to get the most power out of your engine as possible. The number is irrelevant. If you start with 250 and end with 300 and other changes to the tune only result in lower numbers, then you found the best tune you can get for power, and the dyno was used for what it is good for.

So if you want to mod your car, mod your car. I promise you a CAI and tune will make your car feel more powerful, and if someone asks you how much power you have, just make up a number, it is irrelevant anyway.

*edit* - one more note.. we have a diesel shop here that has a dyno. They go for huge torque numbers on their diesel trucks, obviously. Funny thing is, a Honda with a tuner engine went to get a dyno sheet, and ended with 305 rwhp and 740 rwtq. Obviously this was WAY off, and the dyno was set up to make the torque numbers look good. Any shop can make the dyno look how they want. The real test is how it feels when you drive it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

This is a good read on shorty headers on the s197 with some before and after dyno's...
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...s/viewall.html
My experience with the shorty was an immediate difference in Torque (why do we always forget the other white meat now-a-days?) that they provided along with the awesome sound upgrade! In terms of HP gains, I would agree with Dan and others of +7 to 10hp.
While the longtube rules on the dyno and at the track, I have found the shorty is a great addition on the street where that torque is felt and used with every push of the throttle. Enjoy the upgrade!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Lady GT

Thank you to all who took the time to post! I enjoyed the knowledgable responses and I've definitely learned a lot about Dynos, torque and HP-both from my personal experiences of late and from the readings here My ride after the install of the Flowmaster headers dyno'd with a peak 306 torque at 4480 RPMs and 318 peak HP at 6280 rpms The torque RPMs turned out to be at a slightly higher peak than a friend who has the exact same GT with a different tune. so it really does vary. Our HPs were comparably the same.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you are getting headers for power, don't go shorties.
Not worth the money.
Won't give you the gain long tubes will and won't help you
down the road to gain more HP with your mods.

I HIGHLY doubt getting 8hp from shorties.
I'd call it a difference in some other factor variation
in the dyno such as temperature when the dyno was
run or engine temp etc.
In other words I'd view it as a false gain number.

I'd say usually 3-5hp if any gain at all.

The difference in you and your friends trq and hp
99% chance is from the tune

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-10-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Shorties are really for sound on the 05-09
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Lady GT

Default Flowmater Shorties

My shorties were a FREE install from Flowmaster so got the mod w/out the expense or re-tune due to O2 sensor placement, etc., which is ALWAYS acceptable. I posted my dyno numbers here because there were several inquiries in previous posts but wasn't implying a huge HP boost from the shorties. I am positive the tune made a diff. between the two GT's mentioned on dyno but thought it was interesting to note. Any dyno number can be manipulated for specific purposes and it's understood, as you said, many variable affect the outcome.
I'll go with the 6-8 hp boost that various resources and the experts say shorties give and the sound and feel add credibility to that so there's no rain on my parade Bottom line-I'm a member of the small population that gets to drive EXACTLY what I want to drive, my dream car, everyday! It's personal and it makes me happy and we all know that's what counts. I enjoy adding mods when and where I can and the tune was the icing on the cake mechanically
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Definitely!
I'd take free shorties if I had stock setup as well!
I'm so glad you are enjoying your car!
Doing that and taking care of it are the two most
important things!

Keep enjoying that car!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

From what I've seen, HP gains from shorties on a N/A 4.6 3V are negligible if the car running them already had a good tune on the stock manifolds.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Hi Diabolical!

Long time no speak.

I had shorty's on my vortech supercharged 4.6 and though it didn't make a difference in power, it did make it a lot cooler in the engine bay. I ran JBA ceramic titanium shorty headers and they were always cool to the touch...

Quick Reply: HP boost from shorty headers