Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4:10 gears yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default 4:10 gears yes or no?

Hey;

So i know this question have been asked a lot and i read quite a bit about it, but I would like hear it from people who had plenty of time with those gears. I read different opinions, and even the performance shop i went to didn't recommend it for a 5 speed manual ( which is what i have).

I do NOT drive my car everyday, once a week, maybe twice, highway driving is rare. I don't care for top speed, and gas mileage isn't that big of an issue for me, I recently got my car lowered and installed lower and upper control arms, so the car drivers and hooks better, just waiting on getting drag radials for it.

Here are the Performance mods;

JLT CAI, Steeda UD pulleys, 93 octane tune, BBk short headers, O/R xpipe and pype bombs for axle back. According to the dyno, I am putting down 327 HP and 340 TQ

Thank you
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, I'd be highly skeptical of the dyno. The best you should be putting down is about 310, maybe 315 RWHP. And certainly not that kind of torque. Not with THOSE mods.

Since the car isn't your DD and you don't do much, if any, highway, then I'd say go for the 4.10's. Depending on what gears you currently have, it could feel significant or it could not.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, I'd be highly skeptical of the dyno. The best you should be putting down is about 310, maybe 315 RWHP. And certainly not that kind of torque. Not with THOSE mods.

Since the car isn't your DD and you don't do much, if any, highway, then I'd say go for the 4.10's. Depending on what gears you currently have, it could feel significant or it could not.
You might be right about the dyno numbers, I actually thought about getting it dynoed at a different shop. As far as the gears i have 3.55
Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM
alsGT

I have a 2009 GT which I purchased new. I put in 4.10 gears after having it six months. I have a tune from Brenspeed and the Ford Racing (Bullitt) Cold Air Intake.
I love the 4.10s. Top end is not an issue when you have over-drive. I've had it up to 135 MPH and could easily hit the speed limiter if I wanted to.
The car is my daily driver and I've had no noticeable drop in gas mileage. Traction isn't a problem because I know how to drive a stick shift. I went to the local track, Edgewater raceway, and ran a best time of 13.413 @ 104.68 Mph with the stock Perelli's. Oh, and I drive it in the Cincinnati winter with snow. The difference from the stock 3.31s is awsome.
It might be the wrong gear with a blower, but definitely the right gear for me and my setup.

Allen
Old 06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I did my 4.10's years ago. I have never once regretted them. I wish I would have done them sooner.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Almost the best mod I have done to my car. I daily drive mine on the highway to work everyday and didn't notice any drop in fuel mileage but do enjoy way more torque. Mine is getting a blower installed now so my opinion of the gears may change but with no FI they are excellent!!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Most people can't believe I have 4.10 gears and over 400hp at the tires. It's really not that difficult to maintain traction with street tires, just don't give it wide open throttle in 1st or 2nd gear. I've thought about going back to 3.55's, but honestly it would just make the car feel slower off the line and I still couldn't use wide open throttle in 1st and 2nd.

Accelerating with street tires, maybe 1/4 throttle.

Accelerating with drag radials, gave it full throttle half way through 2nd.

If you still have the stock all season tires, you'll want an ultra high performance summer tire.

The biggest disadvantage is gear whine. So find a shop that will guarantee no addition whine.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigmike06gt
Almost the best mod I have done to my car. I daily drive mine on the highway to work everyday and didn't notice any drop in fuel mileage but do enjoy way more torque. Mine is getting a blower installed now so my opinion of the gears may change but with no FI they are excellent!!
You can still buy a saleen supercharger?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Do it. 4.10s are awesome for the 5 speed manual, your shop is a bunch of sissy men who fear the gear and don't know how to drive.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Do it. 4.10s are awesome for the 5 speed manual, your shop is a bunch of sissy men who fear the gear and don't know how to drive.
Most likely will, I am also getting em done with a set of Drag radials. How much do you except me to pay for the gears? when they gave me an estimate, it was around 750 but it wasn't just gears, he said i needed a couple of more things because my car has 76K on it

Quick Reply: 4:10 gears yes or no?