Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCS to California help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

Default PCS to California help

After Ranger School, hopefully 11 weeks from now, my RFO has me going to Irwin. Can anyone answer these questions, I looked it up on the CA dmv site but it was a little unclear so hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can help. My stang will by NO MEANS pass either the decibel or smog test, so I was wondering if:
A. Do I as a military out of state have to register my car in California( I know you don't have to in every other state but the CA dmv site made it sound like I would have to)
B. If I don't have to register() then do I have to pass the smog test (the decibel test will require some work on the exhaust but if I still have to pass the smog test then I have to remove the LTs and redo the entire exhaust system)
Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

I know even if you are registered out of state, in order to get a decal for the facility, you may have to pass CA emissions test.

Ran into this at the SD Naval Yard. Could not get a decal for my car, registered in PA, w/o passing CA emissions.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

As far as I know unless cali is different you shouldent have to register it their. And since it wont be registered there you do not need to have it smog tested. You will however have to get your plates renewed from whatever state your vehicle is registered in. And dont worry about the decible test because how can they issue a fix it ticket on an out of state vehicle...just try and keep it quite as possible. Also if your state has vehicle inspections every 1-3 yrs check and make sure they have the military clause which will allow you inspection sticker to be expired. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

Now see that's why I like the Air Force they no longer utilize the windshield decal and I Could a swore that was DOD wide now...unless we are talking another decal entirely?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:48 PM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

No, I was talking about the winshield decal. Do you have to register to
get on the base?....and that was back in 2006.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by usc49erfan
After Ranger School, hopefully 11 weeks from now, my RFO has me going to Irwin. Can anyone answer these questions, I looked it up on the CA dmv site but it was a little unclear so hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can help. My stang will by NO MEANS pass either the decibel or smog test, so I was wondering if:
A. Do I as a military out of state have to register my car in California( I know you don't have to in every other state but the CA dmv site made it sound like I would have to)
B. If I don't have to register() then do I have to pass the smog test (the decibel test will require some work on the exhaust but if I still have to pass the smog test then I have to remove the LTs and redo the entire exhaust system)
Any help is greatly appreciated
I'm currently Air Force stationed at Edwards (north of LA).

A.) No.

B.) You only need to do a smog test if your current tags are out of date and the state you car is registered in requires a smog test. I am an Oregon resident and had to get new tags. My area in Oregon requires a smog test so I had to get one in California. If your resident state does not require smog testing to register, you will not need to do one in California. If it does, you will need to do one. This is only applicable if your tags are out of date. Otherwise, you're good, have fun pissing off the hippies!

Check with your resident state's DMV to see if they can give you tags that don't expire for a longer period of time. Oregon gave me tags that are good for two years because I'm stationed out of state.

As far as I know, only the Navy still uses window decals.

Edit: When I tested in California I had a non-CARB CAI and exhaust. It ran cleaner than most cars with stock parts and they passed it anyways.

Last edited by CMcNam; 06-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

I see you are from Florida. Keep the car registered in Fla. You will have to do nothing but get your yearly sticker for the plate. Nothing else.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

alright good to know, thanks to all.
oh and yea the Army no longer uses the decals either
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Otherwise, you're good, have fun pissing off the hippies!
Nice!