Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11gt
That is most wise. Using gas with more than 10% ethanol voids the warranty on most lawn equipment.

I only have problems with ethanol when it was converted from food. In my mind, there is something inherently unethical about using food as fuel for the tank. I hope that cellulosic ethanol and diesel from algae, I have some IP in this area, one day becomes commonplace fuel substitutes. However, I have a problem with the fact that the price of corn has shot up in an unsustainable manner.

You should only be concerned if you are unsure of the quality of the fuel you are putting in and how long it has been stored. Ethanol enriched fuel absorbs water. Your "93 octane" fuel may no longer be 93 octane.
Calling corn a food is a stretch, don't you think? It doesn't have a whole lot of nutritional value. You'd be better off eating the algae and burning the corn.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Isbe

Originally Posted by moosestang
Gas mileage increase is just a bonus with straight gasoline. For me, the problem I have with ethanol in my gas is it attracts water and makes the car run like crap. You can really see the difference in a motorcycle, since it has a smaller thank and higher compression. The ethanol manufacturers are being paid by the government to make the stuff, we are paying for the crap twice!@@#$@#$

It also takes a **** ton of water to produce ethanol, many times more than gasoline. In the end we will all be killing each other over fresh water.
I have been running E85 for 3 years and no problems. I love running E85 "110 Octane" at the track when I see others filling up with racing fuel for 10+ dollars a gallon and I paid 2.89 per gallon for mine. In a few years most at tracks will be running this stuff. I have seen tracks in Minnesota, Arizona, and Iowa were more and more drivers are running E85. My feeling if you are not using it you are throwing money out the window. If you upgrade a few things on your car and go to a experienced tuner your car should run great. Again check out this link for more info on E85. http://dbperformancetuning.com/cat/p...ID=25&CDpath=8
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Isbe

Gas mileage increase is just a bonus with straight gasoline. For me, the problem I have with ethanol in my gas is it attracts water and makes the car run like crap. You can really see the difference in a motorcycle, since it has a smaller thank and higher compression. The ethanol manufacturers are being paid by the government to make the stuff, we are paying for the crap twice!@@#$@#$

It also takes a **** ton of water to produce ethanol, many times more than gasoline. In the end we will all be killing each other over fresh water.
I agree it takes a lot to produce E85 as far as fresh water and corn. After all America feeds the world it seems so is it right ethically to make and use E85? Maybe not but in the end I don't care. I think E85 is no worse than fossil fuels and destroying the earth and starting wars over. Eternal might take a lot of fresh water to produce but does gas we run in are cars come at 0 cost to the environment and world? As soon as we have a clean fresh and 0 impact on the environment energy source thats when I will run it in my Mustang.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Isbe
I have been running E85 for 3 years and no problems. I love running E85 "110 Octane" at the track when I see others filling up with racing fuel for 10+ dollars a gallon and I paid 2.89 per gallon for mine. In a few years most at tracks will be running this stuff. I have seen tracks in Minnesota, Arizona, and Iowa were more and more drivers are running E85. My feeling if you are not using it you are throwing money out the window. If you upgrade a few things on your car and go to a experienced tuner your car should run great. Again check out this link for more info on E85. http://dbperformancetuning.com/cat/p...ID=25&CDpath=8
I have zero problem with E85. My problem is with the government shoving e10 and e15 down my throat. I will gladly pay more for real gasoline and have zero desire to run my car on e85 or race fuel.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Isbe

I have zero problem with E85. My problem is with the government shoving e10 and e15 down my throat. I will gladly pay more for real gasoline and have zero desire to run my car on e85 or race fuel.
I hope there is a day we can have a clean fuel that does not require corn or fossil fuels to power are cars going down the track
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I have a question and maybe the Ford rep can answer this.

Traveling from Kansas to Tennessee I faced the dilemma of having to use 10% ethanol gas. My owners manual states specifically not to use ethanol. How will this affect the engine? (I used 92 and 92 octane)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

My 2010 GT owners manual said 10% ethanol was fine. So does my 2014 GT owners manual. I use nothing but Top Tier gasoline and 10% ethanol has never been an issue. I get 20+ mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. 91 octane is the highest I've been able to find and pure gas is expensive. I'm sure I wouldn't make back the initial outlay premium with increased mileage. I've run my 2014 on 87 octane with 10% for better than a year and still got 20 mpg!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I have a question and maybe the Ford rep can answer this.

Traveling from Kansas to Tennessee I faced the dilemma of having to use 10% ethanol gas. My owners manual states specifically not to use ethanol. How will this affect the engine? (I used 92 and 92 octane)
quoting from the owner's manual:

"Use only UNLEADED fuel or UNLEADED fuel blended with a maximum
of 10% ethanol
. Do not use fuel ethanol (E85), diesel, methanol, leaded
fuel or any other fuel. The use of leaded fuel is prohibited by law and
could damage your vehicle.
"

bolding mine. gas with 10% ethanol is now considered the "standard" motor gas in the US and is what all cars are developed and tested for. it used to be that gas pumps had to be labeled if they had any ethanol added, but no longer need to be if it's 10% or lower. The EPA wants to push that up to 15%.

oh, and if you live near a sizable lake and there are any marinas on it, chances are you can find ethanol-free gas there. older carbureted outboard engines HATE ethanol.

Last edited by jz78817; 08-10-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Thank you gents. I don't know where I got it into my head that my manual said not to use ethanol. I went back and re-read it and it says just as you wrote jz.