Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Nav system to go with
OEM Nav
11.11%
Aftermarket radio with built in Nav
66.67%
Tablet
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Adding Nav. Should I go with OEM, AM, or Tablet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Adding Nav. Should I go with OEM, AM, or Tablet?

So I really want to add nav to my '11. I dont like having the suction cup on my windshield and want something thats little bit more permanite. Options are:
OEM - I always try to do OEM upgrades when possible. Just like the look and resale is better when the wiring harness isnt all hack up. It can be done, proof below. Problems are is can cost about $1,200-1,500 to do.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...em-nav-516988/

Aftermarket - Alot of good options. But I dont like/want to move my navigation to the bottom of the bezel where the current HVAC controls are. And I HATE the AM's HVAC control units that are out right now. Price is about $2k for a good unit.

Tablet - I found a guy that put a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus in his dash and it looks good to me. Can be done for less that $300, up to 32GB of music memory. Draw backs is oviously it doesnt look factory, it requires cutting up the radio bezel, you loose your 1-10 selection buttons for selecting radio stations, and you loose the CD player. See thread below.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...galaxy-521762/

Any other ideas out there? Anyone own a Galaxy tablet with feedback?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

crtuchfield.com just came out with a brand new hu bezel other than the AM one on the market now, you may want to check it out... I don't know if it is available just yet, but its close.

This:

Another option is a company that fits an android powered touch screen into the dash, but its also attached to the HU bezel as one piece. it was very nifty looking... Ill see if I cant dig up the link... O and it cost $400 tops! w/ nav!

aah! found it! This:

I'd go OEM for the bezel, then get aftermarket HU or the Android powered one because it looks good and its unique.. if you know electronics fairly ok I don't think you'll run into any problems, plus we r here to help! haha

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 06-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Ive seen and read about those Otto Navi units and alot of people are reporting problems with them. TheMustangSource has a few people that ended up sending their Ottos back because of programing issues with them. I kinda want to stay away with Otto if possible.
Atleast until they get better reviews.

Matthew
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Risq

Well....

Let me tell you what I did

I wanted:
- Nav
- Bluetooth hand free Phone
- Satellite (Sirus\XM)
- Local Radio
- Backup Camera

To get all of that, without doing an OEM Factory looking install, I went with Metra's Ford Mustang 2010-UP 99-5823CH unit. This is the push button one. There is an LCD screen one, but I didn't like how little the screen looked with all that empty space around.

Then I purchased the Clarion NX602 unit because it had the "least" amount of things I had to do (like mount an external Mic for the bluetooth phone. It has a built in Mic) to make everything work. I just needed to solder the harness to the wires so that I could plug it into the factory harness. To make this work you'll need a few other things like harness, antenna adapter, etc. But it should be less than $100 in extra's. I'm thinking like 50ish if I remember correctly.

But it really depends on what you want to do in the end. If you like the factory OEM look better, I'd look at getting that over the Aftermarket thing. I couldn't afford to go that route.

If I had my regular PC (Motherboard died ) I could give you the link on how someone did an aftermarket OEM install of the factory system, but the issue became that you have to exchange out the wiring harness, get a radio, etc. If I get my PC up by next week I'll see if I can find the link. -Edit: Nm I missed that you already have that link. Above. Again it depends on what you want as a look, how much work you're willing to do, and the cost you're willing to spend

I found this link while I was looking:

CarShow CS-MUST10-US 2010-14 OE-Look Ford Mustang Navigation System on Amazon CarShow CS-MUST10-US 2010-14 OE-Look Ford Mustang Navigation System on Amazon

The CarShow manufacture's website.

Last edited by Risq; 06-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

Wow. That is a great write up on getting the factory nav you linked. That is very tempting.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Risq
Well....

Let me tell you what I did

I wanted:
- Nav
- Bluetooth hand free Phone
- Satellite (Sirus\XM)
- Local Radio
- Backup Camera

To get all of that, without doing an OEM Factory looking install, I went with Metra's Ford Mustang 2010-UP 99-5823CH unit. This is the push button one. There is an LCD screen one, but I didn't like how little the screen looked with all that empty space around.

Then I purchased the Clarion NX602 unit because it had the "least" amount of things I had to do (like mount an external Mic for the bluetooth phone. It has a built in Mic) to make everything work. I just needed to solder the harness to the wires so that I could plug it into the factory harness. To make this work you'll need a few other things like harness, antenna adapter, etc. But it should be less than $100 in extra's. I'm thinking like 50ish if I remember correctly.

But it really depends on what you want to do in the end. If you like the factory OEM look better, I'd look at getting that over the Aftermarket thing. I couldn't afford to go that route.

If I had my regular PC (Motherboard died ) I could give you the link on how someone did an aftermarket OEM install of the factory system, but the issue became that you have to exchange out the wiring harness, get a radio, etc. If I get my PC up by next week I'll see if I can find the link. -Edit: Nm I missed that you already have that link. Above. Again it depends on what you want as a look, how much work you're willing to do, and the cost you're willing to spend

I found this link while I was looking:

CarShow CS-MUST10-US 2010-14 OE-Look Ford Mustang Navigation System on Amazon

The CarShow manufacture's website.
Do you have any pics of your final set up? Ill be honest I dont want the nav at the bottom of the bezel. If I need directions I dont want to have to try and look around the shifter while driving. I like it close to the top.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Risq

Here is what mine looks like:

Name:  Jeffersonville-20130611-00053.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  Jeffersonville-20130611-00052-1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  232.1 KB

Name:  Jeffersonville-20130611-00054.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  246.9 KB

Here is what also I found installed on other sites as well:

Mustang site installed
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Isn't turn by turn voice via sync enough? Never understood the need to see the display when you have turn by turn voice. That.. and our phones have better navigation than the OEM systems. Just curious.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Here's what I have.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS headunit paired to a
Samsung Excite 10 tablet for nav/movies/streaming music/Scantool OBDLink software

The tablet does everything and the combo was cheaper than buying a Pioneer nav unit. I have a detachable mount for it, passengers love it for endless entertainment, my OBD software monitors my engine parameters. I can slide it up under the passenger seat for hiding. It gets internet everywhere through my smartphone. Android Googlemaps...enough said.

Nav units are a complete overpriced rip-off if you ask me. I never understood having a screen down there in your dash...you have to look down, daylight drowns it out, you have to look down, your passengers have to look down, did i say you have to look down? My tablet sits between the middle vents right about shoulder height.

Edit: here's a pic. Its more adjustable thats just how I position it when running my OBD app.

Name:  20130611_212720664899928_zps585fd868.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  68.8 KB

Last edited by Ricardo; 06-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Risq
Here is what mine looks like:

Here is what also I found installed on other sites as well:

Mustang site installed
Thanks but I was never a fan of that set up to be honest. I dont want the Navi/radio screen to be on the bottom of the bezel.

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Isn't turn by turn voice via sync enough? Never understood the need to see the display when you have turn by turn voice. That.. and our phones have better navigation than the OEM systems. Just curious.
Well I have Sprint and it doesnt come with the best service so I want/need something that is going to have a dedicated signal when I need it. I have tried using my phone a few times for directions and it just didnt make the cut.

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Here's what I have.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS headunit paired to a
Samsung Excite 10 tablet for nav/movies/streaming music/Scantool OBDLink software

The tablet does everything and the combo was cheaper than buying a Pioneer nav unit. I have a detachable mount for it, passengers love it for endless entertainment, my OBD software monitors my engine parameters. I can slide it up under the passenger seat for hiding. It gets internet everywhere through my smartphone. Android Googlemaps...enough said.

Nav units are a complete overpriced rip-off So true. I would rather spend $150 on a tablet that stores all my music/movies and give me navi then the same price if not more for a GPS unit if you ask me. I never understood having a screen down there in your dash...you have to look down, daylight drowns it out, you have to look down, your passengers have to look down, did i say you have to look down? My tablet sits between the middle vents right about shoulder height.

Edit: here's a pic. Its more adjustable thats just how I position it when running my OBD app.

What bracket are you using to hold your tablet? I am wondering if there is any sort of bracket that comes off the side of the radio (like a Z shaped bracket) that can be secured behind the radio so the tablet sits on the (pass) side of the radio not above it potentially blocking part of the windshield.

Thanks,
Matthew

Quick Reply: Adding Nav. Should I go with OEM, AM, or Tablet?