Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 PM
stanger73

Default Advice for a newbie

Hello to all! I'm a former "old school" Fox 5.0 guy and my wife and I are wanting to become "new school" and are considering buying a 2011-2013 5.0 Stang w/an automatic. So, with being new to the S197, I was wanting to know what are some bolt-on performance upgrades that are available? Underdrive pulleys?, aftermarket exhaust?, computer tuning?, K&N air filter?, etc. I'm want to keep the car a daily driver, but also do some bracket racing on the weekend. I'm not interested in increased HP numbers, just increased performance(i.e. lower E.T's). Any info will be much appreciated! God Bless!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Really not very much out there for these cars.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanger73
Hello to all! I'm a former "old school" Fox 5.0 guy and my wife and I are wanting to become "new school" and are considering buying a 2011-2013 5.0 Stang w/an automatic. So, with being new to the S197, I was wanting to know what are some bolt-on performance upgrades that are available? Underdrive pulleys?, aftermarket exhaust?, computer tuning?, K&N air filter?, etc. I'm want to keep the car a daily driver, but also do some bracket racing on the weekend. I'm not interested in increased HP numbers, just increased performance(i.e. lower E.T's). Any info will be much appreciated! God Bless!
suspension upgrades will be your friend. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, camber plates, panhard bar, LCAs, UCAs, etc....

Yes, exhaust, CAI, gears and a tuner... The gears and tuner will be best bag for the buck. Look into 3.73s or 4.10s, those are the most common for aftermarket.

Can i ask why not a manual?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

All that stuff. Yeah. Intake and tune is probably first on everyone's list. Which is best??? That debate rages. I have Steeda and like it a lot.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanger73
There are tons of upgrades available. The only thing not available for the 2011-2013 5.0 is underdrive pulleys. Outside of that one mod, these vehicles are just as easy to upgrade, with as many upgrade options, when compared to earlier generations. The best part is that straight out of the box these cars have an enormous advantage in every category over the old school fox bodies. Welcome to the "new school", and the forum!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM
stanger73

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
suspension upgrades will be your friend. Lowering springs, shocks/struts, camber plates, panhard bar, LCAs, UCAs, etc....

Yes, exhaust, CAI, gears and a tuner... The gears and tuner will be best bag for the buck. Look into 3.73s or 4.10s, those are the most common for aftermarket.

Can i ask why not a manual?
Thanks for the info! To answer why not a manual trans, is that my wife can drive one, but is not a big fan. Also, I want to bracket race every now and then and the ole stick shift isn't bracket racer friendly! Lol! Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Do you need to keep your warranty? My Mech wanted to weld my side differential tubes so they didn't twist under launch, I opted for an AM Swarr-bar to grip and hold them. I'm working on bomb proofing the drive-line. One piece alum shaft, better posi - Not Torsen that I'm told is a track (why it's in a Boss) not drag friendly posi. Maybe a Yukon or Detroit and If I'm doing a Stage 1 clutch (so it's still street-able D/D) might as well do an alum flywheel with a diff axil shaft up-grade. Relocation brackets (what use to be those yellow traction bars of the 70's) will give you traction but you may need a driveline specialty shop to fix the piņon angle of the driveshaft, or you'll have a wine.
You'll put down close to 360-370 with premium in a 2013/14 I added a custom tune, Boss intake and exhaust work, and I have 410 at the wheel. I've totally gutted and replaced all the suspension components and added little things like low expansion break-lines, bump steer, X-11 ball joints, steel braided clutch line and I'm only half way to finished. Also ditch that stock shifter. If you get a 2013/14 you'll see and feel what it's like to go from a 4.6 that has to go to the moon mod wise to match the stock 5.0 variable timed cams.
I like not worrying about Force induction S/C's and spray problems.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Do you need to keep your warranty? My Mech wanted to weld my side differential tubes so they didn't twist under launch, I opted for an AM Swarr-bar to grip and hold them. I'm working on bomb proofing the drive-line. One piece alum shaft, better posi - Not Torsen that I'm told is a track (why it's in a Boss) not drag friendly posi. Maybe a Yukon or Detroit and If I'm doing a Stage 1 clutch (so it's still street-able D/D) might as well do an alum flywheel with a diff axil shaft up-grade. Relocation brackets (what use to be those yellow traction bars of the 70's) will give you traction but you may need a driveline specialty shop to fix the piņon angle of the driveshaft, or you'll have a wine.
You'll put down close to 360-370 with premium in a 2013/14 I added a custom tune, Boss intake and exhaust work, and I have 410 at the wheel. I've totally gutted and replaced all the suspension components and added little things like low expansion break-lines, bump steer, X-11 ball joints, steel braided clutch line and I'm only half way to finished. Also ditch that stock shifter. If you get a 2013/14 you'll see and feel what it's like to go from a 4.6 that has to go to the moon mod wise to match the stock 5.0 variable timed cams.
I like not worrying about Force induction S/C's and spray problems.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

nos man. nos
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

No Mas! Hombre No Mas! Seen what happens when nitrous kicks in at first gear?
Bang goes the manifold. Where are you going to get nitrous in the Mad Max post apocalyptic world?

Quick Reply: Advice for a newbie