Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut installer in Central Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:35 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Default Strut installer in Central Jersey

I just purchased Koni Sport struts and shocks. Anyone know a good installer in Central Jersey? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The rear shocks are fairly simple to do yourself with some basic hand tools and a floor jack. Should only take about an hour. The struts, however, are a little more involved and you’ll need a good torque wrench that goes over 120 ft/lbs (I don’t remember the exact spec, but its a lot) for the lower mounting bolts on the strut. If you do it yourself, or pay someone, make sure to get the front end aligned afterwards.

Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation on a shop in Jersey. I grew up in north jersey, but haven’t been back in over a decade. I’d recommend searching on Yelp or similar review site.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 06-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
The rear shocks are fairly simple to do yourself with some basic hand tools and a floor jack. Should only take about an hour. The struts, however, are a little more involved and you’ll need a good torque wrench that goes over 120 ft/lbs (I don’t remember the exact spec, but its a lot) for the lower mounting bolts on the strut. If you do it yourself, or pay someone, make sure to get the front end aligned afterwards.

Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation on a shop in Jersey. I grew up in north jersey, but haven’t been back in over a decade. I’d recommend searching on Yelp or similar review site.

Good luck...
Thanks, I will try Yelp.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

It is all pretty easy to do. You will need a spring compressor for the struts, some places rent them out. I know a fellow at work who had a pair, I gave him the old struts and he put the springs on the new struts. It is them just a matter of bolting everything together with the proper torque settings. You can find diagrams and the procedure on line, probably be searching this forum. Saves you a lot of money.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I did both myself with a helper. Rears are easy! Struts are harder, it took me 3 or 4 hours (but I am slow)! O'Reilly auto parts in my hometown loans spring compressors and other equipment ($50 deposit and get it all back when returned)! If I have to do it again, I will probably have a shop do it, but I learned how and was a good thing.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkMan
I did both myself with a helper. Rears are easy! Struts are harder, it took me 3 or 4 hours (but I am slow)! O'Reilly auto parts in my hometown loans spring compressors and other equipment ($50 deposit and get it all back when returned)! If I have to do it again, I will probably have a shop do it, but I learned how and was a good thing.
+1

My friend and I did the shocks in under an hour. Surprised us at how easy it was. The struts are a bit more challenging (more elbow grease) but nothing that can't be done in a few hours. If you are uneasy using the compressor, you can do what I did and take them to a shop that has a wall-mounted spring compressor. I just pulled the entire strut assembly and took it to him. Took 5 minutes and I didn't run the risk of putting a spring in my fender or face. lol