Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT Premium
Default Strut installer in Central Jersey

I just purchased Koni Sport struts and shocks. Anyone know a good installer in Central Jersey? Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
petrock
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '98 3.8L Mustang Convertible

The rear shocks are fairly simple to do yourself with some basic hand tools and a floor jack. Should only take about an hour. The struts, however, are a little more involved and you’ll need a good torque wrench that goes over 120 ft/lbs (I don’t remember the exact spec, but its a lot) for the lower mounting bolts on the strut. If you do it yourself, or pay someone, make sure to get the front end aligned afterwards.

Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation on a shop in Jersey. I grew up in north jersey, but haven’t been back in over a decade. I’d recommend searching on Yelp or similar review site.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 06-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
The rear shocks are fairly simple to do yourself with some basic hand tools and a floor jack. Should only take about an hour. The struts, however, are a little more involved and you’ll need a good torque wrench that goes over 120 ft/lbs (I don’t remember the exact spec, but its a lot) for the lower mounting bolts on the strut. If you do it yourself, or pay someone, make sure to get the front end aligned afterwards.

Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation on a shop in Jersey. I grew up in north jersey, but haven’t been back in over a decade. I’d recommend searching on Yelp or similar review site.

Good luck...
Thanks, I will try Yelp.
flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 mustang GT

It is all pretty easy to do. You will need a spring compressor for the struts, some places rent them out. I know a fellow at work who had a pair, I gave him the old struts and he put the springs on the new struts. It is them just a matter of bolting everything together with the proper torque settings. You can find diagrams and the procedure on line, probably be searching this forum. Saves you a lot of money.
Rocket Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Shelby GT500

I did both myself with a helper. Rears are easy! Struts are harder, it took me 3 or 4 hours (but I am slow)! O'Reilly auto parts in my hometown loans spring compressors and other equipment ($50 deposit and get it all back when returned)! If I have to do it again, I will probably have a shop do it, but I learned how and was a good thing.

MarkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMan View Post
I did both myself with a helper. Rears are easy! Struts are harder, it took me 3 or 4 hours (but I am slow)! O'Reilly auto parts in my hometown loans spring compressors and other equipment ($50 deposit and get it all back when returned)! If I have to do it again, I will probably have a shop do it, but I learned how and was a good thing.
+1

My friend and I did the shocks in under an hour. Surprised us at how easy it was. The struts are a bit more challenging (more elbow grease) but nothing that can't be done in a few hours. If you are uneasy using the compressor, you can do what I did and take them to a shop that has a wall-mounted spring compressor. I just pulled the entire strut assembly and took it to him. Took 5 minutes and I didn't run the risk of putting a spring in my fender or face. lol
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement