Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy T-3650

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
SonicBlue08

Default Noisy T-3650

Do these things have a reputation for being obnoxiously loud and noisy? With my car being bought used with 50k miles on it I wonder sometimes if this is a result from being beat on or if this is normal. Maybe I was expecting something quieter as this is my first manual but going from first to second is usually loud as hell with all the clanking and clunking and sometimes I can feel something catch as the shift does not go in easily and there is an extreme vibration in the handle, sometimes I can feel something grinding, I don't hear it but I can feel it. All the other shift are usually effortless, but 1-2 can be horrible sometimes. A shot synchro maybe?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Was going through your symptoms list saying "normal, normal, normal..." until I got to the "extreme vibration " part. That shouldn't be there. Hard to diagnose over the web, maybe take it to your local dealer or trusted mechanic? What part of Bama are you in?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
SonicBlue08

I live 30 minutes north east of Auburn and yes I am going to take it in along with the power steering issue to be looked at. Was just curious if anybody had experienced anything like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Nope ..I have none of these..!!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Change the fluid to royal purple synchromax. any clunking is probably the drive shaft. The stock 2 piece drive shaft clunks a lot, but absorbs lots of engine vibration/rear end vibration.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I hear a good bit of noise in mine as well. Nothing worrying, but I can hear the synchros when I downshift and such. It's made me stop downshifting as much since I can hear them working. I second the suggestion of changing the fluid. Should quiet it down a little and smooth it out. Also moosestang is right. Clunking is probably the driveshaft if you mean as you let the clutch out, unless you mean the actual shift is noisy, and to that I say my MGW makes a very solid clunk when throwing from gear to gear, but in a good way.

Out of the manuals of owned, my 97's T45, my Cobra's T56, and my 98 Accord's whatever the hell it is, the T56 was probably the loudest with the 3650 behind it. My Accord is silent and I don't recall the T45 being noisy at all.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
SonicBlue08

Yea that answers my question as to why it's so noisy and clunky when I push in on the clutch, especially when I jump on it, and I'll change the fluid to what you both recommended. Now I just have to figure out why 1-2 can be so horrid sometimes. It seems if I don't change to second extremely slow or fast, something snags and the shift becomes anything but smooth. I'll see what Ford has to say when I take it in.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The S197 stock drivelines are about the clunkiest I've ever owned. A 1 piece DS and a change to Amsoil or RP will do wonders.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
SonicBlue08

Originally Posted by Nuke
The S197 stock drivelines are about the clunkiest I've ever owned.
Yea that brings me some peace of mind knowing that as you and the others have stated.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by SonicBlue08
Do these things have a reputation for being obnoxiously loud and noisy? With my car being bought used with 50k miles on it I wonder sometimes if this is a result from being beat on or if this is normal. Maybe I was expecting something quieter as this is my first manual but going from first to second is usually loud as hell with all the clanking and clunking and sometimes I can feel something catch as the shift does not go in easily and there is an extreme vibration in the handle, sometimes I can feel something grinding, I don't hear it but I can feel it. All the other shift are usually effortless, but 1-2 can be horrible sometimes. A shot synchro maybe?
I agree with you bringing it in to your Ford dealer and have it looked at, SonicBlue08. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Noisy T-3650