Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
FastFoal

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT
Default $250 for a key from the stealership?!

Ok, my car only came with one key and I need another for obvious reasons. I know that I cannot program it myself because I only have one key. My question is do I need to purchase the key itself and have the dealer program it, or can I buy it from ebay, cut it at a locksmith, and then just have the dealer program it only?
I know it's been asked before, but I just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to buy the entire second key from the dealer. $250 is a ton of money for a damn key.

TIA guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
FastFoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

There are some cheap aftermarket keys on ebay for like 20-45$, not sure how well they would work, but i would try that before paying 250 i think..

this one says you must have 2 keys to program it yourself, if not, you can have a locksmith or dealer do it for a small fee.

If you try this and it works out, let us know.
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback

Last edited by Andy13186; 06-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Andy13186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
FastFoal

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

Thanks a lot. I figured that was going to be the way to go. I'm going to do that and I'll check back in on how it goes.
FastFoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang V6

i would check with some locksmiths, i had only one key and temporarily lost it ( it was returned 2 weeks after getting new key ) and they didn't charge me that much to come out cut a key for the door then get it and cut a key for the ignition and program it.
Custom muffler deletes
05windviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

Local dealer charges $200 to program a new key to a car with one key. Where the key comes from is up to me.

A local locksmith did one for $86, key included. Another dealer told me that locksmiths only recently obtained the ability to program keys based on auto manufactures keeping the info private.

Also, there are at least two different types of programmers for different years of Ford's. I was having an '02 Mustang done, and they were also doing a new Sheriffs Explorer using a different type programmer.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Redfire GT Vert

Good to know that locksmiths have the ability to program keys now. That's a huge savings. I only have one key as well, and though that's fine for me right now, a spare would be nice.
1997 Mustang GT - GONE!
AJ06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I tried to ask information to Locksmith but they never replied to my email...

So, in my case, I bought on ebay the key, $35 the one with the retractable blade, cut at Home Depot (I don't remember how much) and ask Ford to program the new key, $86.

when done it's strongly recommended to buy another spare key, the cheapest one and program it by yourself (having two working keys). in this way, even if you lose again the key, you have anyway two to program a new one. for sure the 3rd key is cheap and get you safe to do again the hassle
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
jz
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 mustang GT

I have previously bought the keys from Ebay, and had a locksmith program it. No issues, and was much cheaper than the dealership. I don't see any reason shy you'll have a problem.

06 GT. Steeda Hood, Bumper, F&R sway bars, strut tower brace, struts/shocks, sport springs, HD strut mounts, UDP's, delete plates. Hawk Brake pads. Power Slot Rotors. Goodridge Braided brake Lines. BMR combo UCA, combo/adj LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, adj panhard bar, panhard bar brace. Pro 5.0 shifter. K&N CAI. Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back. FRPP 4.10's. BAMACHIPS SCT 93 tune.
jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang v6 convertible

so if you have only 1 key, the dealer charges you $80 but if you have 2, you can do it yourself for free ?!

Selling:
Mustang Brembo Center Caps x4 - 40$
Mustang 2010-2014 GT Faux Gas Cap - 25$
Premium Steering Wheel 11-14 - 100$
cariacou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariacou View Post
so if you have only 1 key, the dealer charges you $80 but if you have 2, you can do it yourself for free ?!
it's true for the S197 model, I'm not 100% sure if it's the same on the previous model

with two keys you can program a third one by your own, it's a procedure where you turn on with the first key, then the second and then you use the third in few seconds. I don't have the real sequence, I did once making some attempts and it did work but I think that with a search you can find a better guide than me
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement