Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice anyone? Muffler delete to Roush?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM
flynavy

Default Advice anyone? Muffler delete to Roush?

New to the forum, and I've been searching for an answer and I haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Here's my situation/question. I got a local shop to do a custom muffler delete and I've been driving it that way for a little while. It sounds pretty good. Very loud which is fine, I like loud, but its very, I don't know how else to say it other than unrefined. It sounds too much like a big stupid redneck truck . Thats the only way I can describe it. I don't mind a little raspy but to me this isnt raspy. It just sounds too, I don't know, crackly under acceleration. Now here's my question, I have a set of Roush Axle-Backs coming from American Muscle that I ordered tonight and that I'll get installed next week. My question is, will the Roush system sound so crackly and redneck like? I've heard the Roush on a 5.0 before and I can't compare in my head if it's going to be any better. I like loud, but I want it to sound good at all RPM's and with the mufflers gone, it sounds fine under 3-4k and above that its super crackly. Will the sound improve with the Roush system? Just wondering if anyone has any opinion or experience with these two setups.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM
flynavy

I should also add that I've youtubed this stuff to death and I've researched a lot. I'm just looking for opinions.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

I have Roush axel-backs, and I love them. I get compliments on how good she sounds a lot. They are loud when you want them to be, and quiet when you don't. I have never heard that they are too redneckish. The only complaint that I have heard or read that they are too loud. I think the Rousch ABs and my BBK cold air intake combine for the perfect sound.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Mine came from Roush with the axle backs, and I love the sound (mine is a supercharged 4.6). Agree with how HsvGT phrased it - loud when they want to be...quiet when you don't.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM
flynavy

Thanks for the input. I just want to make sure I don't waste anymore money on an exhaust system that I wont like. Its not that I don't like the muffler delete, I just would like a cleaner sound and what I can remember from hearing the Roush a while back, and from what you guys say, the Roush Axle-Back should be perfect.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

MAC Boom tubes. Basically axle back muffler deletes but with resonators in them to reduce/eliminate crackling and give a clean rumble and sound.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM
flynavy

I've had Pype Bombs on my old 07 GT and it was the same system pretty much. Good setup. I had wanted to try something else this time. I had read on another forum that someone suggested the Roush Axle-Backs and a muffler delete sound exactly the same but I don't know if anyone else would agree with that. From the videos I see it seems that it sounds cleaner
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flynavy
New to the forum, and I've been searching for an answer and I haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Here's my situation/question. I got a local shop to do a custom muffler delete and I've been driving it that way for a little while. It sounds pretty good. Very loud which is fine, I like loud, but its very, I don't know how else to say it other than unrefined. It sounds too much like a big stupid redneck truck . Thats the only way I can describe it. I don't mind a little raspy but to me this isnt raspy. It just sounds too, I don't know, crackly under acceleration. Now here's my question, I have a set of Roush Axle-Backs coming from American Muscle that I ordered tonight and that I'll get installed next week. My question is, will the Roush system sound so crackly and redneck like? I've heard the Roush on a 5.0 before and I can't compare in my head if it's going to be any better. I like loud, but I want it to sound good at all RPM's and with the mufflers gone, it sounds fine under 3-4k and above that its super crackly. Will the sound improve with the Roush system? Just wondering if anyone has any opinion or experience with these two setups.
It's very common for a custom Muffler delete to sound very un refined. You're going to love the Roush Axle Backs! I couldn't explain it any better than what these guys said, it's loud when you want it to be and quiet when you don't want it to be. It also has a very distinct sound and you know, a BA Mustang is headed your way!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 AM
flynavy

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
It's very common for a custom Muffler delete to sound very un refined. You're going to love the Roush Axle Backs! I couldn't explain it any better than what these guys said, it's loud when you want it to be and quiet when you don't want it to be. It also has a very distinct sound and you know, a BA Mustang is headed your way!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and keep them and have it installed. I can't wait for them to get here.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
flynavy

My mistake for not posting this in the exhaust section. I didn't even see it until now.

Quick Reply: Advice anyone? Muffler delete to Roush?