Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 V6 auto Transmission creaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Default 08 V6 auto Transmission creaking

Just a little background info, car has 64000km and I took it to the dealer for a tranny flush at about 52000. Maintenance has been kept up with (I use AMSOil + Mobil 1 filter) and the only "real" mods are an AFE air intake and a GT muffler (still single).

I've been hearing a tiny little creak coming from the tranny when going from P to D, and also when starting from a stop. I mean, it's a tiny creak, might be normal for all i know. It's just that I drive a beat up sienna at work and the tranny makes a really loud creaking sound every shift, don't want it turning into that down the line!

I also noticed it surging when shifting at really low speeds. I don't like to pin the accelerator, but I feel like the shifting doesn't time as well with normal driving but feels better when giving it a bit of a push. Would a tune help this?

Your advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 AM
kn7671

Sounds like there may be a Tune loaded already. Have you had the car since it was new? The common thing Tuners do with their programming in an Auto is to increase the line pressure, which improves shifting under WOT. Additionally, with increased timing, you get a more sensitive throttle. These two items coupled together seem to go along with the symptoms your explaining.

As for the creak sound, that's an odd description to come from a transmission, and is usually used to describe body, suspension, or interior noises, not transmission. BUT, when shifting the car from Park to Drive, the load on the rear-end and all the suspension changes, the brake binders come under load, all potentially as the source of noises, and not necessarily the transmission itself.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From your description, it's probably one of the u-joints or something in the suspension creaking, not the tranny. The S197 driveline is clunky from the get go.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by antipeterleague
Just a little background info, car has 64000km and I took it to the dealer for a tranny flush at about 52000. Maintenance has been kept up with (I use AMSOil + Mobil 1 filter) and the only "real" mods are an AFE air intake and a GT muffler (still single).

I've been hearing a tiny little creak coming from the tranny when going from P to D, and also when starting from a stop. I mean, it's a tiny creak, might be normal for all i know. It's just that I drive a beat up sienna at work and the tranny makes a really loud creaking sound every shift, don't want it turning into that down the line!

I also noticed it surging when shifting at really low speeds. I don't like to pin the accelerator, but I feel like the shifting doesn't time as well with normal driving but feels better when giving it a bit of a push. Would a tune help this?
Hello antipeterleague,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you have your vehicle diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Deysha
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help people.

Ok the creaking could be coming from the suspension, I may be just a little paranoid.

What really bugs me is the tranny surging when Im creeping. happens from 1st into 2nd. and also, if i am accelerating and need to let go of the accelerator for any reason, it surges as if i let off the pedal just as it was shifting. basically it feels like it shifts at all the wrong times!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd clean the TB and replace the fuel filter for starters. That's typical S197 maintenance anyway and the TB is often the culprit in idle and decel issues.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i've actually done all that. when i cleaned the tb i got MOST of the black markings off but some were pretty stubborn, maybe it needs another go?