Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

See that's where I have been having a hard choice. Whipple or KB?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

It's more than just a motor. You need a different k-member, trans mount, driveshaft, cooling, a/c, and electrical (wiring harness, alternator, etc).

I say go for it, but if you buy a used engine, make sure it's okay before dropping it into your car. If nothing else, you should drop it off at a reputable shop and have it freshened up. Also take this opportunity to make any internal improvements you might want.

Finally, you should consider upgrading your brakes and suspension as well (if you haven't already).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
It's more than just a motor. You need a different k-member, trans mount, driveshaft, cooling, a/c, and electrical (wiring harness, alternator, etc).

I say go for it, but if you buy a used engine, make sure it's okay before dropping it into your car. If nothing else, you should drop it off at a reputable shop and have it freshened up. Also take this opportunity to make any internal improvements you might want.

Finally, you should consider upgrading your brakes and suspension as well (if you haven't already).
K member is the same. Transmission mount you just flip the V6 one over. Radiator is the same as well.

Over at MustangCollective there is a thread that lists everything you need to swap in the V8.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

is it all worth the hassle?
i just sold my v6 and went gt..
thing is though the v8 has more power ofc but it isn't a huge ammount more..a lot of headache for 80 bhp if u ask me
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Not meaning to go too far off topic, While doing the swap and you run across any sticking points, I'd suggest Premiere Performance down in Salt Lake. The cars that come out of that shop are veeery nice and they know what they're doing. Also I have a buddy that has quite a few stock GT parts like suspension, exhaust manifolds, cams, shifter, etc... PM me if there's anything you might need and I'll ask around on this side of the Lake, there's a huge S197 community over here that would be happy to help out.

Be ready for a world of frustration though, anyone who did just a header swap on a GT alone can tell you working on it is nowhere as easy in reality as what you think in your head by looking at the engine bay. Take your time and be patient!

Edit: I have a Bassani Stainless Steel x-pipe with the metallic high-flow cats and the cat-delete slip on pipes for sale. These are the cats needed for FI. PM me for details and pics if you're interested, I'm letting it go for pretty cheap. I think you're only an hour or two away from me.

Last edited by Ricardo; 07-02-2013 at 09:01 AM.