Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dubstep Shep's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Default Dubstep Shep's Build Thread

Well guys, seeing as I'm finally getting the ball rolling on my projects, I figured it would be a good idea to start a build thread.

This is going to be a constant work in progress, and likely I'll be updating this thread for years to come. I'll update this post as necessary if my posts get lost on down the line.

To start, I'll introduce myself and my baby.

My real name is Wade, and I'm at the time of this posting a Mechanical Engineering senior at the University of Oklahoma. I've been into cars since I was a little kid, and have always loved good 'ol American Muscle. I'm about as OCD and **** Retentive as they come, and I'm also a Grammar ****. As an engineer I find thoroughness and perfectionism befit me, and I apply that mentality to my everyday life and vehicles as well.

This is me and Adrian Peterson. I spent a couple months on the OU football team as a long snapper. Best summer of my life.

My Mustang is a 2008 Mustang Bullitt #4054. My dad and I bought the car back in February of 2009. We bought a front clip from a 2006 mustang and cannibalized the frame and body to repair this one. The local Ford dealership did the frame and body work; all the mechanical stuff my dad and I did. In any case, the car was repaired by July 2009, and basically sat in the garage for four years. We just recently sold my truck in June 2013 and my dad gave me the mustang. Needless to say I hit the ground running looking for things to improve on it. Because it's a rebuilt title, I can't really sell the car, and so I've decided I'm keeping it until the wheels fall off. And then I'll just get new wheels.

Before

After

Now onto my build. Basically, I'm planning two basic build stages.

Stage 1 is an all around build at a entry level. My goal is a daily driver that can tear it up at the track as well.

Stage 2 will be a ways down the road, probably at least five to ten years, and I'm still not 100% sure I want to do it. If I do, I'll be rebuilding my motor and spending some serious money; probably in pursuit of a true track monster.

I'll breakdown my Stage 1 plans here:

Department of Boost Supercharger system:
Crown Aviation of the DOB forum is helping me with this one. I've done the research on the DOB system and I love the concept. Additionally, it's a heck of a lot cheaper and more capable than any of the positive displacement SC systems available for the S197. Tentatively I'm hoping to complete this project within the next couple months; hopefully before September, school, and football season.

Griggs Racing Street Suspension:
I've also been in kahoots with Griggs racing talking to them about a full Short/Long Arm system. I'm not wanting to fork over over $8,000 for suspension for my Stage 1 build though, so they suggested the SS system. Likely I'll be ordering that system piece mail over the next couple years. I'd like to have it done within about two years of completing my SC system.

Audio Tech Sound System:
Audio Tech is a small company in Lawton; my hometown. I used to work there in High School, and the Mobile Audio section of the company has grown immensely. Now they're the best Mobile Audio shop in Oklahoma. Plain and simple, I love my music and my sound systems. I'm planning a 3000 watt+ sound system with two twelve inch subs in place of the rear seat. Full custom box, auxiliary battery in the truck, custom amp rack in the spare tire hole, etc. Goal on this guy is to have it done within a year of completing my SC system.

Current State:

Department of Boost Supercharger Kit
So right now I'm putting together everything to complete the DOB SC kit. Everything should be in within a week. CrownAviation and I are waiting on the manifold to be completed as well. I'm planning on running AEM Wideband, Boost, and Voltage gauges in a center dash mount pod. I was going to move the battery to the truck for an Intercooler tank, but decided in favor of a 3.5 quart aftermarket one for the GT500. Same capacity, and saves me having to move the battery.

Gear Swap
I'm going back to 3.55 gears from the current 4.10s I have. I'll be keeping stock rubber for now, so I felt going back that far is necessary to keep tires on it. Plus I hate the road and engine noise from 4.10s. Ordered the gear replacement kit from American Muscle. Now I just need to find the time, tools, and expertise to try this myself lol. Likely I'll recruit my friend who did all the work on his 600+hp 2004 Cobra.

Prothane Bushings
I originally bought new Prothane Engine mounts to lower my engine. Reason being I wanted to make sure the SC would clear the unique Bullitt cross brace that has the VIN and 4054 production number. Unfortunately, I discovered I can't lower my engine with the JBA Shorty headers I have on there now. I figure I'll do the SC system and if the cross brace won't fit I'll leave it off and get some headers that will work with the lowing kit.
I also bought a full Prothane Bushing Kit. I'm not a fan of rubber bushings, and I've always felt that Bushings are a good place to start on suspension as well. Unfortunately, It's going to be awhile before I can get around to installing these. It's quite an undertaking apparently.

So that about wraps it up for right now. I peruse the forum almost daily for info related to these projects, but if any of you guys have any pertinent info or suggestions, I'm always more than happy to hear what you have to say.

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a great plan and I love a good build thread! Also the color is one of my favorites so post lots of pics along the way. Also, it sounds like you prefer to do as much as you can personally, so consider getting Advantage III tuning software at some point down the road.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

I love the Bullitt Mustang, the green paint is beautiful. Your plans sound nice too. I guess that salvage title is a blessing too.

Awesome work playing college Football. Where I'm from, college sports aren't too popular, if you're anywhere good enough to play pro Soccer, rugby or cricket (ugh) you're usually signed to a pro team at 12 and education takes a real back seat. Most of the kids I knew that were great Soccer players didn't even know how to spell 'grammar', let alone get annoyed at improper use...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
Sounds like a great plan and I love a good build thread! Also the color is one of my favorites so post lots of pics along the way. Also, it sounds like you prefer to do as much as you can personally, so consider getting Advantage III tuning software at some point down the road.
Yea one of the things I'm looking into for my Stage 2 build is a new Engine Management System. That's a huge step though. For now we're tuning the SC with a SCT X3. We'll see how that goes before I get in over my head.

Originally Posted by steev
I love the Bullitt Mustang, the green paint is beautiful. Your plans sound nice too. I guess that salvage title is a blessing too.

Awesome work playing college Football. Where I'm from, college sports aren't too popular, if you're anywhere good enough to play pro Soccer, rugby or cricket (ugh) you're usually signed to a pro team at 12 and education takes a real back seat. Most of the kids I knew that were great Soccer players didn't even know how to spell 'grammar', let alone get annoyed at improper use...
Geeze lol. Though I must say that High School is pretty worthless around here and most places if you aren't going to College. I'm impressed people are going pro that young though
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Yea one of the things I'm looking into for my Stage 2 build is a new Engine Management System. That's a huge step though. For now we're tuning the SC with a SCT X3. We'll see how that goes before I get in over my head.

Geeze lol. Though I must say that High School is pretty worthless around here and most places if you aren't going to College. I'm impressed people are going pro that young though
Beautiful car. I have always thought the Bullitt edition looks so clean. One thing though, you call yourself a Grammar **** yet use "lol". Couldn't help myself on that one!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dared3vil0
Beautiful car. I have always thought the Bullitt edition looks so clean. One thing though, you call yourself a Grammar **** yet use "lol". Couldn't help myself on that one!
It's a commonly used acronym!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

It's a commonly used acronym!
Oh for sure, i'm just being a jerk.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Dubstep Shep
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dared3vil0
Oh for sure, i'm just being a jerk.
Hahaha it's all good. Wouldn't be a real forum if everyone wasn't giving everyone else a hard time.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 PM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

Hahaha it's all good. Wouldn't be a real forum if everyone wasn't giving everyone else a hard time.
Exactly.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Wow, sounds like you've got an ambitious build ahead of you. Glad to see you saved the Bullitt, even though it's got a salvage title. You don't see many on the road (as with all special editions) and Bullitt owners are just as proud by their production number as the SVT folks, so it's an awesome sub-culture to witness let alone be a part of.

Congrats on the impending engineering degree and it's always great to meet another Wade! I graduated this past fall with an ME degree and enjoying the good 'ol nine to five now. If you've got any time between senior projects, exams, and lab write-ups, enjoy your senior year as much as possible. Live up the college lifestyle while you can!

Good luck with your build; I'll be looking forward to reading through all of the new developments.

Quick Reply: Dubstep Shep's Build Thread