Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single turbo hellion legal in cali?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
pballer91

Default Single turbo hellion legal in cali?

Does anyone know this answer? Their website just says "EO is pending but still uses stock catalytic converters"
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Forgive my ignorantness but how can a state make the use of a "type" of turbo illegal.. aslong as your can pass emissions testing which I heard Cali is a bit **** with I don't see why they wouldn't be legal to use
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
pballer91

Originally Posted by BairdGT
Forgive my ignorantness but how can a state make the use of a "type" of turbo illegal.. aslong as your can pass emissions testing which I heard Cali is a bit **** with I don't see why they wouldn't be legal to use
Welcome to my life man. I looked on the CARB site and didnt see their approval anywhere. MIght have to go with the supercharge
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad I'm here in the great white north with a province that gives a rats *** about emissions

Although I would love to be closer to sea level as elevation can be a downer in these parts lol

But the Hellions do pack a punch compared to crap like Turbonetics but that's probably why they are not CARB legal they just too much to stay under the limits..

Cali should take the stick out of their *** and lower their standards as alot of NEW vehicles even moderately modded don't give off that much emissions it's the older vehicles that can be terrible.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
pballer91

Originally Posted by BairdGT
I'm glad I'm here in the great white north with a province that gives a rats *** about emissions

Although I would love to be closer to sea level as elevation can be a downer in these parts lol

But the Hellions do pack a punch compared to crap like Turbonetics but that's probably why they are not CARB legal they just too much to stay under the limits..

Cali should take the stick out of their *** and lower their standards as alot of NEW vehicles even moderately modded don't give off that much emissions it's the older vehicles that can be terrible.
Exactly. I called hell a couple years ago to ask if they were going to try to go through CARB and they said the certificate was to costly so they were unsure. I'd love a turbo but if i have to get some crap one I'll just suck it up and get a whipple or edelbrock.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yeah, the only turbo system I know of that has a CARB EO is the turbonetics one.
California is a bit retarded/slow when it comes to modifications, if the MFG hasn't paid the ****'s their money, it doesn't matter if it burns cleaner, it's illegal.

I've got a used whipple kit with EO ready to go, sitting in a shop in socal I'm trying to sell.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

im so glad i live in KY....soon as i have the cash a turbo kit will go on my car...
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Yeah, the only turbo system I know of that has a CARB EO is the turbonetics one.
California is a bit retarded/slow when it comes to modifications, if the MFG hasn't paid the ****'s their money, it doesn't matter if it burns cleaner, it's illegal.

I've got a used whipple kit with EO ready to go, sitting in a shop in socal I'm trying to sell.
This^^ Even if it has an EO number pending it is still not legal to install on street driven vehicles. Pending really means nothing. The fee has to still be paid, CARB has to review the submission, test then approve/not approve the applicant's part.