Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the mustang world

Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM
mikefurno

Default new to the mustang world

just picked up my 2007 mustang gt premium for 15k with 47k on it...very clean car. im very new to the mustang world so please bare with me.. what are some common problems with the 07 4.6.. ive been hearing alot about the 2 piece spark plug problems.. what would be some good spark plugs to replace them with... just would like to know the ins and outs of my year mustang.. i have been looking at a tune intake and exhaust for performance what would be a good setup and who would be a good tuner.. im still under warranty so i cant go crazy yet.. like a said before im very new.. i left the diesel world so every is different for me... thank you for your time
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Welcome!

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...V-6.8L-3V.html

You can also search this forum for tons of great info on the spark plug process. I followed the Ford TSB and used PB blaster and I was able to remove all 8 without issue at 65k miles.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

These cars a very reliable, the 2007 and 2009's being some of the best. Spark plug issue sucks but if you're patient and follow procedures there should be no major issues. As for performance gains you should set a final goal of what you want then work your way there, if you just listen to people here and start throwing parts at it it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Check out the laundry list of TSB's associated with these S197's. There are a few which discuss some chronic and significant issues (i.e., water leak, fuel pump...).

Regarding the CAI & tune, Brenspeed and American Muscle are 2 of the most popular tuners on the forums. They write awesome tunes and their customer service is superb.

And welcome to the forum!

Oh, yeah. Fug the warranty. Mod away.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Check out this intake/tune http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-bl...er-0509gt.html

Also, for exhaust, you've got a lot of options. If you want to go crazy, get LTs, an offroad H or X pipe, and new mufflers. If you want a bit more power and better sound, just go with an H or X pipe and new mufflers. If you want to get a slight increase in power and want a better sound, you can just go with new mufflers. Other power upgrades I would recommend are 4.10 gears, underdrive pulleys, and new tires (check out nitto 555s). If you want to go fast though, you can't forget about handling and braking. You can wait till you need new brake pads and then pick up some Hawk pads, I have the HPS pads and love them. New rotors are more expensive and I wouldn't bother replacing the stock rotors until they are worn out, but there are plenty of options to upgrade when they eventually do. As for handling, there are a lot of ways to improve that. On my personal to-do list, I have Koni Yellow shocks/struts, Steeda Ultralight springs, subframe connectors, Fays2 Watts Linkage, and I already have new swaybars on my car. Sam Strano can hook you up with some good parts at stranoparts.com.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM
mikefurno

Also is there anyway to get better gas mileage with a tune?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikefurno
Slight improvement can be seen but it all depends on how often you bury your foot to the floor.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Once you load the 93 race tune you will completely forget about gas mileage!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There actually IS an economy tune but you'll have to turn in your man-card. Soccer moms will pop you the finger as they pass you. I certainly hope that you didn't buy a Stang for economy. That being said, the typical performance tunes will get equivalent mileage as the stock tune PROVIDED that you're not getting on it a lot (and that's hard to do because even a good custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to the mustang world