Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
mikefurno

Vehicle: 2007 ford mustang gt
Default new to the mustang world

just picked up my 2007 mustang gt premium for 15k with 47k on it...very clean car. im very new to the mustang world so please bare with me.. what are some common problems with the 07 4.6.. ive been hearing alot about the 2 piece spark plug problems.. what would be some good spark plugs to replace them with... just would like to know the ins and outs of my year mustang.. i have been looking at a tune intake and exhaust for performance what would be a good setup and who would be a good tuner.. im still under warranty so i cant go crazy yet.. like a said before im very new.. i left the diesel world so every is different for me... thank you for your time
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
mikefurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Welcome!

http://www.mustangforums.com/mustang...V-6.8L-3V.html

You can also search this forum for tons of great info on the spark plug process. I followed the Ford TSB and used PB blaster and I was able to remove all 8 without issue at 65k miles.
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

These cars a very reliable, the 2007 and 2009's being some of the best. Spark plug issue sucks but if you're patient and follow procedures there should be no major issues. As for performance gains you should set a final goal of what you want then work your way there, if you just listen to people here and start throwing parts at it it will cost you more in the long run.
SpartaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Check out the laundry list of TSB's associated with these S197's. There are a few which discuss some chronic and significant issues (i.e., water leak, fuel pump...).

Regarding the CAI & tune, Brenspeed and American Muscle are 2 of the most popular tuners on the forums. They write awesome tunes and their customer service is superb.

And welcome to the forum!

Oh, yeah. Fug the warranty. Mod away.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 White Mustang

Check out this intake/tune http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-bl...er-0509gt.html

Also, for exhaust, you've got a lot of options. If you want to go crazy, get LTs, an offroad H or X pipe, and new mufflers. If you want a bit more power and better sound, just go with an H or X pipe and new mufflers. If you want to get a slight increase in power and want a better sound, you can just go with new mufflers. Other power upgrades I would recommend are 4.10 gears, underdrive pulleys, and new tires (check out nitto 555s). If you want to go fast though, you can't forget about handling and braking. You can wait till you need new brake pads and then pick up some Hawk pads, I have the HPS pads and love them. New rotors are more expensive and I wouldn't bother replacing the stock rotors until they are worn out, but there are plenty of options to upgrade when they eventually do. As for handling, there are a lot of ways to improve that. On my personal to-do list, I have Koni Yellow shocks/struts, Steeda Ultralight springs, subframe connectors, Fays2 Watts Linkage, and I already have new swaybars on my car. Sam Strano can hook you up with some good parts at stranoparts.com.

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars
Prothane Motor Mounts | MMD Hood Struts | 55w 5000K HIDs | Poly Bushings

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
mikefurno

Vehicle: 2007 ford mustang gt

Also is there anyway to get better gas mileage with a tune?
mikefurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013, Ford Mustang, 5.0 GT Premium California Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefurno View Post
Slight improvement can be seen but it all depends on how often you bury your foot to the floor.
2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |MGW Short Throw Shifter||Steeda 101mm Intake||Pype 3" Off-Road X-Pipe||Borla Atak AxleBack System||3.73 Gears|| Resonator Delete || SR Performance Hydraulic Clutch Line||93 Octane Bama Race Tune||Black GT/CS Rims|| Black 5.0's||30% Tint All The Way Around|

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey

FivePointToTheOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Once you load the 93 race tune you will completely forget about gas mileage!
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Shelby GT500

Welcome to MF!

MarkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
There actually IS an economy tune but you'll have to turn in your man-card. Soccer moms will pop you the finger as they pass you. I certainly hope that you didn't buy a Stang for economy. That being said, the typical performance tunes will get equivalent mileage as the stock tune PROVIDED that you're not getting on it a lot (and that's hard to do because even a good custom 87 octane tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune).
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement