Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Blue_steel
I've done lots of searches and found the only way to get them off is to use a gear puller/bettery terminal puller. Tried that and it's not working. Anyone have any tips/suggestions to getting these things off? Trying to get them to repaint.
Just replaced the cowl vent on my daughter's 06 Escape. To do that, I had to remove both wiper arms.

IF our mustangs are the same, I ended up using a ball joint separator/Tie-rod separator on the Escape. The fork is wide enough to allow the tool in-between the arm and the base. It is also wedge shaped which is what you will need to get the arms to pop loose. You will want to put a towel or something between the arm and the hood.

A couple of light taps with a rubber hammer will wedge the tool in and separate the wiper arm from the stud it's sitting on. It will just 'pop' off.

I found it easiest to pop them off with the wipers in the 'UP postion' and the hood open (this was on an Escape though)

IF the mustang is the same, the bolt where the arm mounts has a conical shoulder with grooves (grooves). These teeth along with the pressure from the wiper bolt and age make it very difficult to just 'pull' these off.

To put them back on, be sure the wipers are off and to the right. It is ok to the run the wipers with the arms fully removed.

I used a bit of air compressor oil to help the shoulders reseat properly and then torqued down to spec. DO NOT RUN THE WIPERS ARMS WITHOUT THE NUTS OR UNTIL THE NUTS ARE FULLY RETIGHTNENED. You will strip the grooves on the should of the arm and could render them junk.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

I had to use a puller on mine. What a bear! Put a little anti-seize on the hub before you put them back on. It will make things easier next time.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
GTgirlCA

Default Fuel Tank Fill

Originally Posted by Art161
This is a common issue. There are lots of threads about it. The best thing is to try a different gas station or a different pump at the station you are at. Otherwise, feed in the gas at the lower speed of the pump and /or twist the nozzle to a different angle. It seems to happen in many states, but California may be the worst because of the pumps used here.

As you probably figured out already, you need to know about how many gallons it will take to fill the tank. If you don't do that you might have the pump shut off way too soon, and not continue messing with it until you have a full tank.
Thanks, I wondered if anyone else had that problem.
I know that it has something to do with the pressure in the fuel tank. There a air hose to let it breath, same idea as the hole in a gas can as you pour, that for some reason, wasn't allowing the tank to "breath" and allow the petrol to run into the tank.
But that's all I know and it was never corrected and like I said, I still have this problem occasionally.
Also, I have noted that it doesn't seem to made a difference which pump I use, or which gas station I use. When the car was new, it was doing it consistently, so I was trying everything.
Lastly, you wouldn't happen to own a convertible would you? And know anything about this window issue would you? When you roll up the windows, they get to the top and automatically roll right back down. Drives me nuts!! There are instructions in the manual on how to fix the problem but its only a temporary fix and it does it again after using the windows a couple times. I'm not sure if it thinks there is a finger in there and its a sensor issue?
That's my next peeve I want to fix...
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTgirlCA
..... Lastly, you wouldn't happen to own a convertible would you? And know anything about this window issue would you? When you roll up the windows, they get to the top and automatically roll right back down. Drives me nuts!! There are instructions in the manual on how to fix the problem but its only a temporary fix and it does it again after using the windows a couple times. I'm not sure if it thinks there is a finger in there and its a sensor issue?
That's my next peeve I want to fix...
You'll probably have to re-initialize the window system. It will take two people because you have to either disconnect the battery or pull the fuse WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING. Also, on the initialization sequence make sure you read note 1 regarding 'verts.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2920244-post10.html
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM
GTgirlCA

@RedFire281 OMGosh...thank you so much! I search on here using all kinds of key words and couldn't find anything even close to what I was looking for! How do you find this stuff?
Do you own a shop in SB? You have been very helpful and seem to know a lot about these mysterious Mustang issues. I wish I knew someone like you near me so I could pick his brain...haha (I would prob drive him nuts) I love working on my own car tho, even if I do get in over my head sometimes.