Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arm removal

Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

Default Wiper arm removal

I've done lots of searches and found the only way to get them off is to use a gear puller/bettery terminal puller. Tried that and it's not working. Anyone have any tips/suggestions to getting these things off? Trying to get them to repaint.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

There should be a LITTLE side clip on the bottom of the end of the arm. You should be able to use your finger nail or small screwdriver to pull the clip outward and pull up on the wiper arm at the same time. Unless the later models are different?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

I believe they changed them. I just did another check to make absolutely sure i'm not missing anything like that, and yeah, nothing there.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't know where you are in the process. First, remove the protective cap on the end of each arm. Second, for each arm, remove the nut that was under the cap. Third, pull the arms off. Have you done the first two steps but the arms aren't coming off?

I'm figuring that yours is the same as the 2007 model.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

I'm at the third step, they just wont come off.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM
GTgirlCA

Default Wiper arm removal

I'm right there with you Blue Steel! I have removed the nut, but can't seem to wiggle the arm free to remove it, so I can then remove the plastic cowl.
I already emptied the rubber grommets from below, however, after sticking my head down under on the passenger side (which does not require removing the wipers in order to remove the cowl) and the crevice behind the firewall definitely needs to be vacuumed out.
I had to park under a jacaranda tree at my last residence and it shows in these drain grommets and the cabin air filter.
Now that I have my car half torn apart, I cant get the wipers off to finish the job! HELP! Advice Please..Anyone?

To PoppaPony: Have you read the TSB 07-14-6? If the link below doesn't work just google ford mustang tsb 07-14-6 for suggestions to repair your leak.
http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/07-14-06.pdf
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

The reason the wiper arm is so difficult to remove is because of the spring tension that keeps the wiper pressed against the windshield is a lateral-downward force on the retaining bolt. First, you'll need a wiper puller or a wide flat blade screw driver to use as a lever and WD40 or any penetrant like it. Once you've removed the nut, spray penetrant on the bolt and attach the puller to the top of the bolt or position the screwdriver under the wiper at the bolt. Now here's the trick - lift the wiper arm up so there is no lateral pressure against the wiper arm bolt (that pressure is the force that makes it difficult so you'll have to lift the wiper off the windshield an inch or two and adjust as you go); now just lift the arm off the bolt with the tool.

Last edited by RedFire281; 09-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedFire281
The reason the wiper arm is so difficult to remove is because of the spring tension that keeps the wiper pressed against the windshield is a lateral-downward force on the retaining bolt. First, you'll need a wiper puller or a wide flat blade screw driver to use as a lever and WD40 or any penetrant like it. Once you've removed the nut, spray penetrant on the bolt and attach the puller to the top of the bolt or position the screwdriver under the wiper at the bolt. Now here's the trick - lift the wiper arm up so there is no lateral pressure against the wiper arm bolt (that pressure is the force that makes it difficult so you'll have to lift the wiper off the windshield an inch or two and adjust as you go); now just lift the arm off the bolt with the tool.
^^^ this
Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
GTgirlCA

Wink Wiper arm removal

Originally Posted by RedFire281
Thanks Red,
I was considering purchasing the wiper tool thinking it may be necessary to remove the arm and after noting the threads on the bolt. It didn't even occur to me to use WD40, (must have been a blonde moment because you need it on practically everything when working on a boat) however, I was trying to lift the arm bilaterally, as to not apply pressure against any one side of the bolt.
I appreciate the feedback. I am very unfamiliar with these newer engines with all their plastic and electronics. This is the first "new" car I have ever owned and now that it is getting upwards of 6 years old, it is also giving me the most headaches of any car I have ever owned. (With the fear of being barred from this websight, I have always been a "Chevy girl" and I'm still not exactly thrilled my Ford) It had issues the first week I drove it off the dealership lot that they would not repair because they "couldn't get it to repeat the problem for them". It wouldn't allow me to place the fuel pump in the tank and set it to fill. I had to stand there and hold the nozzle or else it would it would click off then I would have to continuously pull the trigger over and over to fill a few cents of fuel at a time into the tank. They wanted me to drive to Orange every time I needed gas. Eventually it stopped doing it, but still does every once in a while. Does anyone else have that issue?
Since I now know that there are knowledgeable people here with valuable answers, I will be back with many more questions..lol This is just the beginning of some of the little things that wrong or just drive me crazy about this car.
Thanks again, will be back soon!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTgirlCA
Thanks Red,
I was considering purchasing the wiper tool thinking it may be necessary to remove the arm and after noting the threads on the bolt. It didn't even occur to me to use WD40, (must have been a blonde moment because you need it on practically everything when working on a boat) however, I was trying to lift the arm bilaterally, as to not apply pressure against any one side of the bolt.
I appreciate the feedback. I am very unfamiliar with these newer engines with all their plastic and electronics. This is the first "new" car I have ever owned and now that it is getting upwards of 6 years old, it is also giving me the most headaches of any car I have ever owned. (With the fear of being barred from this websight, I have always been a "Chevy girl" and I'm still not exactly thrilled my Ford) It had issues the first week I drove it off the dealership lot that they would not repair because they "couldn't get it to repeat the problem for them". It wouldn't allow me to place the fuel pump in the tank and set it to fill. I had to stand there and hold the nozzle or else it would it would click off then I would have to continuously pull the trigger over and over to fill a few cents of fuel at a time into the tank. They wanted me to drive to Orange every time I needed gas. Eventually it stopped doing it, but still does every once in a while. Does anyone else have that issue?
Since I now know that there are knowledgeable people here with valuable answers, I will be back with many more questions..lol This is just the beginning of some of the little things that wrong or just drive me crazy about this car.
Thanks again, will be back soon!
This is a common issue. There are lots of threads about it. The best thing is to try a different gas station or a different pump at the station you are at. Otherwise, feed in the gas at the lower speed of the pump and /or twist the nozzle to a different angle. It seems to happen in many states, but California may be the worst because of the pumps used here.

As you probably figured out already, you need to know about how many gallons it will take to fill the tank. If you don't do that you might have the pump shut off way too soon, and not continue messing with it until you have a full tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper arm removal