Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed, Opinions on Buying 2013 Mustang

Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Default Help Needed, Opinions on Buying 2013 Mustang

Hello Everyone,

Finally, I am in a position where I can buy a new Mustang! I have been looking for the past year and have test driven a few. I love the 5.0 and that is what I want to go with. With that said, there is a Mustang near me that has all the options I want (2013 +, v8, leather, and heated seats) plus many more.

The problem is according the the sticker, the car has been at this dealership since 11/30/2012. It is a 2013 though. Which according to my dad and friends is a really bad sign. Like there could be something internally wrong with it or cosmetic damage. I have not been inside the car yet or driven it. Basically, just have been keeping an eye on it for the last 5 months or so.

The car has upgraded wheels to 19", heated seats, dual power seats, pony projection lights, 5.0, automatic, reverse sensors, and back up camera. MSRP is $39,100 and as of today they are asking $30,100.

I have three additional rebates (recent college grad, American horse, and police union) discounts which amount to $1,500 off. So without negotiating I would be looking at $28,600 plus taxes and title fees. I have no idea how many miles are on the car and I would use the fact that it has been sitting at a dealership for 8 months as a reason to lower the price even more. So on paper this sounds like an amazing deal. However, everyone keeps telling me the car is probably broken.

What is everyone's opinion on buying a new car that has been sitting at a dealership for 8 months? What are signs I should look for on a tainted or messed up new car? I was thinking of asking the dealership for new tires and battery if they are not willing to lower the price of the car.

Thanks

Steve
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It's not that uncommon for a car to sit at a dealers, they usually drop the price before the new models come out. Mustangs don't sell well in cold climates in winter, so people have probably looked at it for only 3-4 months. You left out a few details, is it a weird color? Was it scratched at some point and repainted? The battery has it's own warranty, I wouldn't worry about it or the tires. Has it been sold in the past? If it has over 25 miles, it may have been driving to and from the dealer by one of their employees. If so, I'd make sure the warranty date starts when you buy it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if they'll let you use so many rebates but I would definitely check it out.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

mine was a oct 2010 make, bought it in aug 2011, no mechanical issues with 97 miles on the clock. There was a small dent in the roof that I didn't notice till later, nothing big. Not that great of a deal on it either (I'm a horrible negotiator). Just look for body imperfections, then either bargain for them to be fixed at the same price or lower the price further.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
It's not that uncommon for a car to sit at a dealers, they usually drop the price before the new models come out. Mustangs don't sell well in cold climates in winter, so people have probably looked at it for only 3-4 months. You left out a few details, is it a weird color? Was it scratched at some point and repainted? The battery has it's own warranty, I wouldn't worry about it or the tires. Has it been sold in the past? If it has over 25 miles, it may have been driving to and from the dealer by one of their employees. If so, I'd make sure the warranty date starts when you buy it.
The color is black with black leather. I'll have to check for dents or scratches. I'll def bring up the warranty issues whether or not it starts the day I buy the car.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I am 100% certain nothing is wrong with it. If their was they would of sent it back or fixed all the issues. My 2013 sat for 6 months before I got it no one wanted a gotta have it green. Hell that's a brand new 2013 never used sitting there that's a good deal.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

I like finding cars like these - you get a brand new car for nearly the price of a good used.

The car likely sat because it is black (not my first choice) and has a number of expensive options that a lot of people don't want to pay for.

Sometimes cars with expensive options sit for quite a while.

I wouldn't hesitate if the deal is right for you.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

My car was built in July 05, sat on the lot til Jan 07 when I bought it. Had 1022 miles on it and had never been sold. Saved over 6k off the window sticker and love it just as much today as the day I drove it home. Got 65k miles on it now and plan to keep it forever.

Guess no one but me wanted a white GT premium with a manual and red seats. One of 497 built like it in 05.

Warranty still covered it for 3 years or 3k miles also.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

What miner?
Everyone knows black is the sexiest, meanest, best color
on a Mustang!

Black stangs are the best!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:22 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

It's funny, how you brought up the point that the Mustang was sitting on the lot so long. I had the same thought when I looked at mine on the lot. If it helps, when I bought my '03 GT, I noticed it was built in AUG of '02. It was the first of the '03s. I bought mine in Aug of '03. So it was a year old when I got it, but NEW. I got a special deal on it, being no one wanted a NEW car that was already a year OLD. But, what I can tell you is, it has been totally reliable all 10 years I've owned it. Just a Battery, Tires, Brakes and Wiper Blades. And the warranty begins the day you buy it. That's it. I sure hope this helps. I know how you feel.

Last edited by 03gt04mach1; 07-12-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Needed, Opinions on Buying 2013 Mustang