Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Separator Plate Buzz/Rattle in Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Separator Plate Buzz/Rattle in Automatic?

I have a very loud buzz/grinding sound coming from tranny area at low rpm when car is cold (although it seems to be doing it even when warm lately). I have checked for losses exhaust hangers, cat shields, etc - nothing.

I have read the TSB on the separator plate issue on manual trans, and my prob fits that description exactly. there is a very abrupt quality to the start and stop of the buzz - very much like a woodpecker on a metal gutter (had that on my house - not fun to wake up to).

I got under and looked to see if I could use a rubber washer on the bolts or silicone between the plate and bell housing as some people did with the manual trans. But it looks to me like the auto trans plate is different than the manual plate - the manual plate actual comes all the way down to the bolts, while the auto trans does not - it is shorter and higher up. the auto trans has a black dust shield thing that the bolts screw into. I took that off and looked up, and that separator plate comes very close to the flywheel (or whatever you call it in an auto trans)- I can see where it may contact it if it warps due to temperature.

Has anyone else had this problem with an auto trans? What is the cause? Any advice?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Does it happen at around the same RPM everytime? I have a weird noise like you described, usually at around 1800-2000 RPM in OD on moderate accel. Been there since she was new and have never been able to track it down.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Usually occurs on light throttle around that rpm - 1800-2000. Will sometimes occur even after taking foot off gas, but usually on throttle. It's getting loud. Doesn't happen when cruising - usually only when slowly accelerating from a stop within the first few seconds.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:11 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If you find out what it is, post it up.