Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a flat from a nail in my Nitto tire.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:02 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default Got a flat from a nail in my Nitto tire.

Just noticed today my rear tire was flat, then found a nail in the tire. Gotta get it patched tomorrow, should be easily fixable. Hope I don't have to replace since Nitto Invo's aren't cheap.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
zentin
Banned

sorry to hear that - hope it gets patched up quick! _
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Well tried to get it patched today. Good year said they can patch it but won't because my wear bars were to low. I don't even have that many miles on my Nitto's, maybe 5k tops. I don't do burnouts either. These tires suck, esp. at $211 a pop. Said I need both rear. I'm gonna try a few other shops tomorrow since I rarely drive this car anyways.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Go to NAPA or Advance Auto Parts, etc .... and get some "Patch Plugs",
take tire and wheel to service station,
break bead loose from side nearest the puncture,
remove object,
slightly scuff inside tire at puncture,
pull paper off patch portion,
apply glue maybe,
stick tip through puncture from inside,
grab with pliars,
pull into place from outside,
inflate tire,
trim excess off.

I fix them in my basement with my own stuff, but I built a bead breaker that works on my support column.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ntent=28200214

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
Well tried to get it patched today. Good year said they can patch it but won't because my wear bars were to low. I don't even have that many miles on my Nitto's, maybe 5k tops. I don't do burnouts either. These tires suck, esp. at $211 a pop. Said I need both rear. I'm gonna try a few other shops tomorrow since I rarely drive this car anyways.
i got a nail in my sidewall two days before a track day i was supposed to run. luckily the shop i use was able to get it in the next day and i was able to mount it in time. it sucks having to drop 200+ the day before you go blow through an entire gas tank on the track lol
Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Had to take it to a small indy shop and they fixed it for $18. Guess when I do change the tires I will be switching brands to something cheaper.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Been there done that with tires getting nails in them. It sucks!

As for tires, I bought some Dunlop Direzza DZ101 summer tires. Do pretty well in dry weather. Wet can be difficult but I use light throttle until the car gets moving, then I can lean into it more without loss of traction.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

At least good tires don't unravel and damage the rim before you can stop.

I'm looking at NITTO's for my upgrade, I bet they have a low # so wear-out is fast.
All season Perreli's wear rating 400, slicks 100 rating...i.e. softness of the rubber.

Your stickier tires don't last and it's best to do both at a time or loss directional stability.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
Had to take it to a small indy shop and they fixed it for $18. Guess when I do change the tires I will be switching brands to something cheaper.
All your hp and all G forces exerted on your car go through the tires. They can also save you in the rain and well, in many situations. tires are one thing you shouldnt cheap out on. 300 hp is useless if you cant hook up. same with any hp. If you hook well with the invos i would say they are worth it. I have pilot supersports and paid 470 for each of my rears.. I think they have been worth it. Ive had a few partial nails and metal parts etc stuck in my rears but none ever punctured. So far i have 12k miles on the pilot supersports and i still have a bit of life... mabe 5k more miles. But to be honest the pilot supersports dont hook 100% since they are treadware 300, and they suck in temps below 75..

If you get cheap hard tires, they will likely last like 40k miles and give very little performance crippling your cars potential for every one of those 40k miles and basically making it useless as a performance car.

Good tires increase performance in every aspect : accelleration, handling, braking

90% of the time a puncture is repairable.

If my car wasnt a daily driver i would go with toyo r888's, but they wouldnt last long enough for me so im sticking with pilot supersports i think.

What size are your rims and tires currently?

Last edited by Andy13186; 08-06-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

What Andy said.. its all about the tires. All high performance summer-only / drag radials are going to wear fast.. you can't have a sticky tire and also have one that lasts forever. You want expensive.. I put Michelin Pilot AS Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season) on my Brembo package 19x9 rims.. They are rated for 45,000 miles.. and perform very close (believe it or not) to the Summer-only Pirreli's..

It was worth every penny.. because I found out the hard way what its like with poor traction in this car (60 degrees.. summer-only tires.. show-boating around a turn.. = bent rim).

My first set of Pirreli's only lasted around 15,000 miles.. So now I have a set for summer and a set for winter (this is my DD.. and I'm in the midwest).

If you want tread life, you need an AS tire. If you want a good performance AS tire.. you need to spend the money. If you cheap out, you may find yourself kissing a median on the highway in the rain.. or wrapped around a pole. There is no point in having a car like this if you can't put the power down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a flat from a nail in my Nitto tire.