Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop heard sometimes when starting to move

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
rcunn87

Default Pop heard sometimes when starting to move

I have a 2013 GT with a manual transmission. It has just shy of 16000 miles on it and just recently I have been hearing a 'pop' noise when starting to move from a dead stop. I can't tell if its coming from the transmission area or if it is coming from the passenger feet area. I am pretty sure it is happening only while I am letting go of the clutch peddle and it is partially engaged. It doesn't happen every time and I think it might be after I have been driving for awhile. Anybody know what this could be?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

If you park with the hand brake pulled up, might be your rear pads sticking to the rotors. Mine does this as I live in a humid climate. I don't worry about it. 65k on my car and still on the original pads.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rcunn87
I have a 2013 GT with a manual transmission. It has just shy of 16000 miles on it and just recently I have been hearing a 'pop' noise when starting to move from a dead stop. I can't tell if its coming from the transmission area or if it is coming from the passenger feet area. I am pretty sure it is happening only while I am letting go of the clutch peddle and it is partially engaged. It doesn't happen every time and I think it might be after I have been driving for awhile. Anybody know what this could be?
Hello rcunn87,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM
rcunn87

White05GT,
It started doing it again yesterday as I got home and what you say makes a lot of sense. I am still going to drop it off because I also noticed yesterday that when that same wheel hits a decent bump it makes an awful 'grindy squeeky' noise. Thank You.

FordService,
Yep. I was going to do this anyhow. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mine does the same..it's the brake discs moving slightly..it did soon as i put aftermarket wheels on it..i rekon it could be because of the small clip that you need to remove from the discs with non ford wheels
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

White05GT,
It started doing it again yesterday as I got home and what you say makes a lot of sense. I am still going to drop it off because I also noticed yesterday that when that same wheel hits a decent bump it makes an awful 'grindy squeeky' noise. Thank You.

FordService,
Thanks, rcunn87! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
mine does the same..it's the brake discs moving slightly..it did soon as i put aftermarket wheels on it..i rekon it could be because of the small clip that you need to remove from the discs with non ford wheels
If your disks are moving, then you should probably check the torque on your lug nuts. That little clip that ford puts to hold your disk in place does not keep the rotor from spinning. Once your lugs are torqued down, the rotor should never move. That sound is more likely a sticky brake pad or something in the suspension.

I had a similar issue when going over bumps and it turned out to be a bad front control arm bushing. Mine never made a 'pop' noise, but it makes sense if the bushing is so bad that there is play or slop at the joint. Let us know what the dealer says.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

This sounds exactly like the front control arm bushing TSB. I had the same noises you describe and many others do as well.

They just released a new TSB a couple days ago that supposedly includes heat shields to prevent the bushings from going bad. I had mine done under the previous TSB but the noise hasnt come back...yet
Old 05-31-2014, 01:49 PM
drhiggy

White05GT,

FordService,
Did you find the cause of these problems and a solution. I'm having a similar issue....popping sound when starting out from a dead stop and crunching when going over bumps. Seems to be left front.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by drhiggy
Did you find the cause of these problems and a solution. I'm having a similar issue....popping sound when starting out from a dead stop and crunching when going over bumps. Seems to be left front.
Hello drhiggy,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You should bring it in to your Ford Dealer and have them check it out. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get it escalated for you.

Deysha