Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
hahaha this is like my girlfriends parents. 2010 honda with like 20k miles on it. it has had one oil change EVER, and that was after break in. They don't want to pay for an oil change, I offer to do one, they say no they just want me to turn off the oil change light!
most people simply don't give a damn about their car.. even though it's their livelyhood and one of the most costly investments.

it's similar to the cars brought into the auto repair shop I worked at.. i had no idea people were that messy. The entire back seat, trunk, and passenger floorboard are filled with junk and trash. I get messy myself, but some were made me drop my jaw
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I grew up riding motocross and racing, and working on my own bikes, and my Dad taught me to be religious about taking care of my motorcycles, and my cars. You wouldn't want a race engine seizing up on you 4th gear tapped up the face of a big jump! I've never gone over 3k on an oil change, which I know is overkill, but better safe than sorry! A new engine costs a hell of a lot more than an oil change every 3k! plus I notice every little sound, vibration, rev etc my cars make. You can tell when a car wants an oil change just from driving it! People who take their cars for granted, and abuse (as in not changing oil, there's a difference between running them hard and neglecting them) deserve for this sort of thing to happen. Maybe they were never told, but seriously?? F***ing common sense!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Let me ask a question that we should know but I bet don't (no reading the owner's manual now). Do we not have a low oil warning light, either dedicated or rolled into a CEL, that comes on around 2qts low? My '86 GT had one, thanks to the x-wife I saw it more than once, so I'm pretty sure we must too. For some reason I've never seen it come on...hmm, wonder why that is;-)
To my knowledge, the 4.6L does not have a low oil warning light or CEL for that. I go 8k-10k miles between changes and check it regularly. My engine uses no oil so I'd never know if we DID have either of those, OM not withstanding (my Stang is in a detached garage so I haven't checked the OM but I don't recall seeing anything regarding that).

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
... but seriously?? F***ing common sense!!!
Common sense isn't as common as one might think.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nuke
So that would be just shy of 25,000 miles. IF you were using Amsoils 25k mile rated oil and IF you were having the oil analyzed every 5k miles and IF you were checking and maintaining the oil level (like any NORMAL car owner) then you would have been fine. Did you not check the oil over that time frame? Are you... challenged?

You really ARE joking, right? If not then, yes, then I'd agree that your engine is likely #%^*ed.
I think the better assumption is that if he drove that long without changing his oil, he doesn't really care about the car so therefore why would he bother checking it?

Last edited by Derf00; 07-18-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:57 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

my OCD meter is pegged...
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drunkyoda
that is a lot of miles! that would be... 4,000,000

anyways... i wanna pop in to be in this epic thread. lol
Me too!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
most people simply don't give a damn about their car.. even though it's their livelyhood and one of the most costly investments.

it's similar to the cars brought into the auto repair shop I worked at.. i had no idea people were that messy. The entire back seat, trunk, and passenger floorboard are filled with junk and trash. I get messy myself, but some were made me drop my jaw

ahhhh yes...I remember working on those cars. The ones that you open the door and there is trash everywhere and it just REEKS. You get in the car to pull it in the shop and you are afraid to sit on the seat, touch the steering wheel, or door handles. You have to stick your head out the window to drive the car...for fear of inhaling the horrendous odor. Seems like that was 3 out of every 10 cars. Do people have no shame??
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

I call Troll.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I'm more impressed that he claims to have put 40,000 km on the car in 8-12 months. That's impressive. I want to believe it's a typo as well, but with the comma in place and all it doesn't look like it.

If you drove 40,000 km without changing your oil, it's impressive that it's still even running at all. You'll probably need the engine entirely rebuilt, if that is even worth it, to fix it.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

IBTL.

Quick Reply: Is my engine ruined?