Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire punctures...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Default Tire punctures...

Just wondering what some of you would do in this situation

While my car was at the dealership, they spotted a huge nail and removedf it. Ticket said "irrepairable, customer declines new tire". They put a strange looking plug in it (slightly smaller than diameter of pencil, rubber tube sticking out of tire 1/4 inch).

I took it to Hibdon to try and patch it, they patched it and said when the nail was taken out, the tire was damaged. They said that it should be okay, but cannot guarantee it hold air, and just to keep checking the pressure until I get a new one.

It holds 30lbs just fine, and its been over 2 weeks now. I've hit some nasty bumps too.

Tire has about 40-50% tread left.. I can either keep using it, get a new one of the same type/brand for $250... or get a cheaper one of different kind.

I have an old one sitting in my closet from old set, different brand, but only about 5-10% tread left... so not sure if that'd even be worth it. Tempted to find a random used one on ebay for cheap and use it until I get a whole new set
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Do you have 40%-50% tread left on all tires?
I wouldn't recommend putting the old one that only has 5%-10%, unless you lose air quickly from the tire that had the nail in it.
I had my new tires for exactly a week and I got a screw in my front left tire. They used the same type of plug you mentioned and it's been holding for months. I am not losing any air.
With that being said, you should be fine with the plug, until you get a whole new set.
Hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM
drunkyoda
2nd Gear Member

if it is holding air why are you worried about it?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Do you have 40%-50% tread left on all tires?
I wouldn't recommend putting the old one that only has 5%-10%, unless you lose air quickly from the tire that had the nail in it.
I had my new tires for exactly a week and I got a screw in my front left tire. They used the same type of plug you mentioned and it's been holding for months. I am not losing any air.
With that being said, you should be fine with the plug, until you get a whole new set.
Hope this helps!
Thanks.

All four tires have about 40-50% tread left. I feel like the chance of having a tire blowout is very very slim, will probably just leak air slowly instead. But who knows, I just don't feel like wasting $250 lol

I've had plugs put in other cars/tires several times before and its always "you're good to go" not "it looks damaged, might not hold air"

Or just stagger it and put a new one on, then in 1 year get 3 new ones. Probably better safe than sorry
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drunkyoda
if it is holding air why are you worried about it?
well the only thing that worries me if its possible that there could be a tire blowout.. im not a tire scientist
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Are your tires staggered? If not, is there any chance you could buy two new tires, put them on the rear, and keep the good one as a spare?

I definitely would not run on a tire with only a plug, nor on a a tire with a patch and plug if the tire shop said the tire was damaged.

Whoops, I just saw in your signature that your tires are staggered. Is the bad tire a front or a rear?

Last edited by Art161; 07-18-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Are your tires staggered? If not, is there any chance you could buy two new tires, put them on the rear, and keep the good one as a spare?

I definitely would not run on a tire with only a plug, nor on a a tire with a patch and plug if the tire shop said the tire was damaged.

Whoops, I just saw in your signature that your tires are staggered. Is the bad tire a front or a rear?
It's the front. That's a good idea though.. so that they match, I can get 2 new ones for the front (of the same tread/type as rears) and keep the good one with 50% tread left as a backup in case I get a nail in the front again

It just seems safer and better for handling to have simialr wear on both front than one new one and one 50% tread. Also, ideal to have same tread type too (cause why not get a Goodyear Eagle F1 for like $150, save $100?)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I would get 2 new fronts if you're worried about it, a front tire blowout at highway speeds, or carving a corner hard could get dicey!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Sometimes there is just no perfect solution. The problem with having more tread on the front tires than the rear tires is that if you lose traction (say from hydroplaning), the rear end could come around. The mitigating factor is that you have larger tires in the rear, so that might minimize the risk to some degree.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
I would get 2 new fronts if you're worried about it, a front tire blowout at highway speeds, or carving a corner hard could get dicey!
I agree, I forgot to mention I commute 23 miles per day (so 46 total) on the highway.. ordering 2 new fronts rigth now!

edit: now my new dilemma... they dont carry 255/45/18 yokohama advan S anymore on tirerack... they have S.drive's but it looks to be different tread

Last edited by Jas5; 07-18-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire punctures...