Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT brake oddity...

Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by vixr
I tried a panic stop this morning with basically cold brakes and it stopped nice and straight... I'm leaning toward iamzatch's comment now...I must have jerked the wheel a little.
No problem, vixr. Let me know if you experience anything different.

Deysha
Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I've noticed with my wider nittos that my car follows grooves and cracks a ton when on the brakes, worse than my Jeep with mud tires. that's my bet, or you tagged the wheel..
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

I have found in an emergency braking situation, your head acts faster than your eyes can realize. This has happened to me before too.

A car cuts in front of you and you start to apply brake pressure hard, and for some reason your steering wheel lurches to the right and then you correct it.

However what really happened is your brain recognized a threat and automatically engaged evasive menuvers, one of which included finding a clearer path of travel to avoid the threat. Now sometimes your clearer path of travel might be the shoulder of a road, or a ditch or something, but I think the issue at hand here was just driving experience kicking in and automatically making an evasive action to avoid a crash.

It's kinda cool if you think about it.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
I have found in an emergency braking situation, your head acts faster than your eyes can realize. This has happened to me before too.

A car cuts in front of you and you start to apply brake pressure hard, and for some reason your steering wheel lurches to the right and then you correct it.

However what really happened is your brain recognized a threat and automatically engaged evasive menuvers, one of which included finding a clearer path of travel to avoid the threat. Now sometimes your clearer path of travel might be the shoulder of a road, or a ditch or something, but I think the issue at hand here was just driving experience kicking in and automatically making an evasive action to avoid a crash.

It's kinda cool if you think about it.

very cool... While I have no memory of moving the wheel, it has to be what happened. I had to push the clutch and the brakes in a split second, right hand going for the shifter and my left on the wheel. I kept my eyes on the gap between me and him...it doesn't take much input with the new steering setup.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning more toward the fact that the grade of the road was sloped slightly to the right or other road condition. My '12 with nearly 50K miles stops perfectly straight every time, even after my accident in Feb '12 and new pads this past week.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

hey guys...it happened again. This time a little old lady in a giant continental made a left from a side street right in front of me last night. I had to stomp the brakes very hard to avoid t-boning her. My car stopped straight, and I had a second or two to wait for the impact because her car was like 30 feet long. Luckily, she hit the gas pretty good from the stop sign and that combined with my panic stop allowed me to miss her. I felt the front tires lock, release, lock, release, lock, release (3 lockups) and I was stopped. Like I said, this took about two seconds... I was wondering if there is anything I should check due to the ABS cycling like this?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Anti locks will do that, had them on my police cars starting in 1991 until I retired 2010 and while I have them on several personal vehicles, I hardly ever use them hard like I did the police cars.

Take for instance, slowing from the left lane to duck into a narrow median crossover at the 173.8 from 70 mph on Sunday evening after Thanksgiving with thick packed traffic back behind you .... you approach the crossover and kick it some to give yourself some distance, then hit the blues for a few secs and then stab the brakes and shortly turn left out of the way before the closest cars have to brake (so that those behind the first few aren't caught "unawares" .... don't need to create wrecks) .... and often enough that left side front wheel bounced on some irregularities which resulted in a wheel stop while three still rolling, so left front brake gets released for a few milliseconds .... and the car feels like it's pulling right momentarily as that front brake does not release.

Originally Posted by vixr
hey guys...it happened again. This time a little old lady in a giant continental made a left from a side street right in front of me last night. I had to stomp the brakes very hard to avoid t-boning her. My car stopped straight, and I had a second or two to wait for the impact because her car was like 30 feet long. Luckily, she hit the gas pretty good from the stop sign and that combined with my panic stop allowed me to miss her. I felt the front tires lock, release, lock, release, lock, release (3 lockups) and I was stopped. Like I said, this took about two seconds... I was wondering if there is anything I should check due to the ABS cycling like this?
My guess is you counted too slow to catch all the pulses, it will release and apply faster than 3 times in two seconds, much faster.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The 2011GT's came OEM equipped with ABS, Traction control, EPAS and Advanced trac.

If you were not tagging the wheel and the car pulled to the right because of anomalies on the road surface...the computer would have literally corrected. It's that fast. Where it will literally correct the steering and nibble in the right direction based on vehicle momentum, brake vector and kill throttle to put you back on course.

Literally a life saver in bad driving conditions... With traction controls/Advancetrac enabled.... All you usually need to do..... Is point the wheel in the direction you want to go.

So I second the possibility that you naturally reacted and turned the wheel. because not turning to avoid hitting the rear of the car in front of you... Is completely unnatural.

---