Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT brake oddity...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT brake oddity...

I bought my 2011 GT with 3200 miles on it last year at Christmas from the dealer that originally sold it. I put another 3000 miles on her since... A few hours ago I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid a guy who changed lanes at the last second to make a right turn in front of me. I really had nowhere to go so I just hit the brakes hard...this is the first time I have had to do an emergency stop since I bought it. The car pulled pretty hard to the right, I thought I might actually hit the curb for a second but a quick jerk to the left got me straight. I was a little freaked out about the guy cutting me off and didn't think too much about the brakes pulling to the right. On my way home later I tried to duplicate the pull but the car stopped perfectly straight, so I tried it a few more times from 40 MPH with the same perfectly straight stops...I wonder what was the deal with the first pull to the right? any ideas? The car has almost 6300 miles on it...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

pavement may have been slanting to the right which would put more weight on the right 2 tires and give them more grip, possibly making you pull to the right
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
pavement may have been slanting to the right which would put more weight on the right 2 tires and give them more grip, possibly making you pull to the right
absolutely possible...the road where it pulled was a city street that probably did have a slant toward the gutter. I did my tests on a 4 lane, from the fast lane just in case it pulled again. On the last test I loosened my grip so that I was barely touching the wheel. The brakes were not very hot on the first panic stop like they were when I was able to test them...I will try again first thing in the morning on the way to work when they are cooler...

BTW...the brakes are effin OUTSTANDING on the car...It has plenty of go and stop

Last edited by vixr; 07-18-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Unlike older 2-Channel systems modern ABS can release pressure to one brake when it attempts to lock. This can result in a hard pull to the side with better traction.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Unlike older 2-Channel systems modern ABS can release pressure to one brake when it attempts to lock. This can result in a hard pull to the side with better traction.
Gene, so the problem could be with the left front trying to lock? I was thinking that the right front was grabbing more...
Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
I bought my 2011 GT with 3200 miles on it last year at Christmas from the dealer that originally sold it. I put another 3000 miles on her since... A few hours ago I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid a guy who changed lanes at the last second to make a right turn in front of me. I really had nowhere to go so I just hit the brakes hard...this is the first time I have had to do an emergency stop since I bought it. The car pulled pretty hard to the right, I thought I might actually hit the curb for a second but a quick jerk to the left got me straight. I was a little freaked out about the guy cutting me off and didn't think too much about the brakes pulling to the right. On my way home later I tried to duplicate the pull but the car stopped perfectly straight, so I tried it a few more times from 40 MPH with the same perfectly straight stops...I wonder what was the deal with the first pull to the right? any ideas? The car has almost 6300 miles on it...
You sure it just wasn't your reaction? Maybe tagged the steering wheel a bit to the right and then corrected yourself? I feel like that is far more likely.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by vixr
Hi vixr,

You should bring it in to your dealer and get it checked out. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi vixr,

You should bring it in to your dealer and get it checked out. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
I tried a panic stop this morning with basically cold brakes and it stopped nice and straight... I'm leaning toward iamzatch's comment now...I must have jerked the wheel a little.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Doubt there is anything wrong my 2013 does this kind of thing too. Most of the time it will stop straight sometimes it pulls right other times left. Like a few folks have said above its the roads the 5.0 have very wide tires they catch ruts in the road and pull.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
joe95 gt
2nd Gear Member

my '12 does this also, seems to pull hard to left when I get on the brakes hard

Quick Reply: 2011 GT brake oddity...