Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Shifter reviews and feedback

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Default Hurst Shifter reviews and feedback

Hey guys, I'm looking to install a hurst shifter on my 2005 mustang GT and I need some feedback from anyone that has already had one installed in their stang.

My buddy has one installed on his stang and I believe it's this one right here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-3915201-Billet-2005-10-Mustang-GT-5-Speed-Shifter-/400531648280?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d418bef18&vxp=mtr#ht_2433wt_768
It looks cool in the interior, the shifting is a bit rough but, short and the only thing i hate about it is getting it into reverse.

I saw this one online and the base of it looks indenticial to the stock one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-2005-2010-MUSTANG-GT-COMP-PLUS-5-SPEED-MANUAL-SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER-/271242605793?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2751b4e1&vxp=mtr#ht_2574wt_838

Does anyone have any feedback they can share with me about either one?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've had mine for just over 2 years and 17K miles now.

The good: I put a longer stick on it (ordered separately off ebay, but a genuine Hurst stick) and it just looks badass (and lets me shift with cups in the cup holder). It's way better than the stock shifter.

The bad: It's made in China. The ball that comes with it looks like some cheapo no-name POS, and on mine after about a year it had cracks coming up from around the threaded bushing. I replaced it with a really nice black Lokar ball.

Also, most everyone will tell you that they rattle eventually (under throttle). Putting penetrating oil around the pivot ball will solve it for a couple months or so.

Additionally, I pulled mine out over the winter to find the lower dust shield (protects the pivot ball) was pretty much completely destroyed. I made my best attempt to rig up something to replace it since you apparently can't get it anywhere.

IMO if you want the Hurst look, buy somebody else's shifter that will accept the regular bolt-on stick and buy a Hurst stick off ebay. I'm figuring on having to replace mine sooner rather than later.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I had the Hurst. Swapped it out for the MGW a couple of years ago. Night and day difference. Night and day.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

how tall is the MGW? I'm looking for a taller shifter than stock, but with a shorter throw
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Don't want to be a tool, but if you do some research you'll find MGW is light years ahead of Hurst.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Love mine. Might be a little notchier than an MGW but I love it. easy to install too. I went with the competition model but im sure the billet is great too.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

I have the billet competition plus shifter. I use white lithium grease in aerosol form to lube the shifter when I first installed it and have had zero issues. It is a little notchy but not bad at all and breaks in quite well. If you are worried about it loosening up later down the road pick one of these up. http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?wpsc-...ck-xd-bushings Also the MGW and Barton shifters might be a better overall shifter but they look like they don't belong in a mustang but rather a BMW or Audi. The MGW looks like an erector set (yes it is adjustable but how much can you really adjust it with our console set up) and the barton got rid of the one feature that i though put it ahead of the pack. The ability to adjust it from the inside of the vehicle. I have installed 2 MGW's ( one gen 1 model and one newer model) and a Barton. They are top quality pieces. If you race go with the MGW or Barton hands down. Better shifter for rowing your own gears. But you can't go wrong with the Hurst for it's nostalgia and just feeling 'right' in a mustang daily driver but its major downfall is it is made in china. Mine was very well made for the price. AKA you get what you pay for.

Last edited by 02GTowner; 07-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I can't comment directly, but my buddy has a Hurst on his GT with basically the same mods as me. He drove mine with the MGW and will be switching to the MGW, despite the cost to do so. Stated it's much quieter and significantly better shifting.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I had the Hurst for just a little while. I thought it was good, but I switched to the MGW after trying a friends. The MGW is a much better unit and worth the extra $ if you can swing it.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I would probably try MGW if I did it again. However, I have the Billet Hurst and like it a lot. It did have the common "rattle" when I got it, but have since put a gun lubricant, as suggested, on the pivot ball and have not had a rattle since (Over a year). I love the nostalgic look of the Hurst. As far as shifting, I have never missed a gear with it. The shifts are nice and close, and easily accurate.

Would I do another Hurst? Yes! Would I like to try an MGW? Yes! Dam, I need two stangs!!! Problem solved!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter reviews and feedback