Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40,000 miles/year on a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
40k per year is just crazy! What do you do that you need to drive that much? If this is your commute, then you'd save more by moving than driving and just imagine how much more time you'd have to do other things.

I would definitely get the v6, but quite honestly I'd get a prius or other gas sipper, because the amount you'd save in gas would pay for the damn car.
Agreed, 40k a year is a lot. Cause I thought mine was a lot at 44 miles/day (2 hours of driving time) which is only 11,500/year. I heard somehwere the average is 15k/year?!

If I had to drive 15k+ a year i'd definitely be in a Civic Si, RSX-S, mazdaspeed3, EVO, STi, or some other light 4 cylinder that has a bit of oomph. the Si and type-s get closer to 30 mpg and the turbocharged ones usually only get 22-25 highway
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

I bought my '09 GT last fall with 80k on it. The guy was the original owner, and was a salesman. Even with all those miles, the original tires were still on it and still had a slight amount of tread left. He was having a hard time selling the car because of the high mileage, but I was looking for a weekend driver and got a great price on it. It runs like new and the body and suspension are tight. If a Mustang is what you want, I'd have no second thoughts about putting high miles on it. The guy I bought it from was an older gentleman, and he said he enjoyed every mile he put on the car. I hope to put lots more miles on it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roegs
I bought my '09 GT last fall with 80k on it. The guy was the original owner, and was a salesman. Even with all those miles, the original tires were still on it and still had a slight amount of tread left....
I'm sorry, but there's no way that the factory crap tires that Ford installed were still on the car with 80k miles. Or maybe it's because it said so on the internet so it MUST be true...

Salesman speak with forked tongue.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

You will not have any problems putting high miles on a mustang. I had a 2008 Bullitt that I traded for my 2012 GT. It had over 120K and ran like a top when I traded it in for the 2012. That car seen duty at the drag strip and multiple trips to Philadelphia and New York. My 2012 have over 42k on it and it seen duty at the drag strip too. So if you buy the mustang then, no worries and enjoy.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I bought my '09 GT last fall with 80k on it. The guy was the original owner, and was a salesman. Even with all those miles, the original tires were still on it and still had a slight amount of tread left. He was having a hard time selling the car because of the high mileage, but I was looking for a weekend driver and got a great price on it. It runs like new and the body and suspension are tight. If a Mustang is what you want, I'd have no second thoughts about putting high miles on it. The guy I bought it from was an older gentleman, and he said he enjoyed every mile he put on the car. I hope to put lots more miles on it.
Yeah these are well built (especially compared to an econo-4 cylinder car) because mine rides and handles well after 90k miles. I got my 07 with 83k on it and obviously had been raced/abused because it had the blower, wheels, no exhaust system, short throw, etc.

But I wtf'd @ the bolded.. i guess the stock tires have like a 500 treadwear rating because my 180 treadwear yokohama's only have 1/2 tread after 1.5 years and 10k miles
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm sorry, but there's no way that the factory crap tires that Ford installed were still on the car with 80k miles. Or maybe it's because it said so on the internet so it MUST be true...

Salesman speak with forked tongue.
Nuke..don't mean to burst your bubble, but they were the factory tires. The guy was a traveling salesman that sold pet supplies. He was fanatic about rotating tires and did them every 5000 miles. You may think the P Zero’s are crap, but a lot of guys really like them. You must have read on the internet that they were crap tires...

Last edited by roegs; 07-24-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Nuke..don't mean to burst your bubble, but they were the factory tires. The guy was a traveling salesman that sold pet supplies. He was fanatic about rotating tires and did them every 5000 miles. You may think the P Zero’s are crap, but a lot of guys really like them. You must have read on the internet that they were crap tires...

I don't think I EVER saw an S197 with OE 16" wheels but that's just me. I suspect 90% of Stangs on the lot had OE 17" optional wheels. Live and learn...

My wife's '06 had the P Zero's and they were a decent tire, much better than the OE BFG's that came with my '07. Even though she rotated and balanced them regularly, they still barely made 20k miles with only marginal tread left. 80,000 miles on that brand of tire by the OP? I still call BS.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
just noticed youre new so in case i seem like an ***, this is what i was referring to:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ne-ruined.html
LOL! I remember that thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I don't think I EVER saw an S197 with OE 16" wheels but that's just me. I suspect 90% of Stangs on the lot had OE 17" optional wheels. Live and learn...

My wife's '06 had the P Zero's and they were a decent tire, much better than the OE BFG's that came with my '07. Even though she rotated and balanced them regularly, they still barely made 20k miles with only marginal tread left. 80,000 miles on that brand of tire by the OP? I still call BS.

Nuke - I'm somewhat new to the forum, and I can see that you've been around for a while. That said, I'd hope someone like you would base a BS call on more than just your own experiance. If you go out to Tire Rack and look up the P Zero's, you'll see plenty of reviews that are over 50k miles on these tires. You'll also see reviews out there for guys that have gotten over 70k miles on them (even an 80k review). And yes, many of them are Mustang owners. Freeway miles are easy miles on a tire.

I'm not sure where the 16" size comment came from. I can't speak for other years or models, but on '09 GT's, the OE wheel was 17" with an optional 18" wheel available. Mine were 17" wheels.

Last edited by roegs; 07-25-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Agreed, 40k a year is a lot. Cause I thought mine was a lot at 44 miles/day (2 hours of driving time) which is only 11,500/year. I heard somehwere the average is 15k/year?!

If I had to drive 15k+ a year i'd definitely be in a Civic Si, RSX-S, mazdaspeed3, EVO, STi, or some other light 4 cylinder that has a bit of oomph. the Si and type-s get closer to 30 mpg and the turbocharged ones usually only get 22-25 highway
I think a GT mustang would easily get 22+ highway

the v6 is rated at 29 highway and the GT is 26 highway..

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/2013/

Quick Reply: 40,000 miles/year on a Mustang?