Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any dyno results of tune w/ intake vs w/out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Default any dyno results of tune w/ intake vs w/out?

I want to get a Bama tune (likely) and I see all the intake + tune deals. Does the intake REALLY add any power after you have the tune? I've been trying to find dyno results to see if the intake really adds a worthwhile amount of power. I'm sure you all will be pissed with me asking this, bit I can't seem to find hard evidence... I would like to avoid getting an intake due to the cost and they can suck in water and aren't the greatest filters. Also a bit worried about a real loud teenager-sounding intake noise when driving the car...ESPECIALLY if it doesn't add power. lol
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

A CAI/tune adds substantially more power than a tune alone as confirmed in this article.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e_comparisons/
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Oh crap, I forgot to mention for a 11-13 5.0 only...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I have a bama tune and no intake(i did put a K&N filter in but i didnt notice any change from the stock filter), and i am very happy with the result of the tuneing.

I wouldnt be surprised if an intake did add a bit more HP also.

I would guess the tune gives atleast 90% as much hp as a tune+intake combo, but I would like to see some dyno comparisons also.

I do know that the tune is worth it, and bama seems great. Running 93 race currently and no issues.

Last edited by Andy13186; 07-30-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

RWDtech,

We've found quite a few good qualities from installing a CAI onto one of our 4v 5.0's. You will see a power increase with a quality CAI, but most of the power is under the peak curve. Also, we've found a much better throttle response when using an Airaid, JLT, Steeda, etc. CAI. IMO, between the two, it makes a CAI easily worth it for the cost.

Shane
Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by RWDtech
Oh crap, I forgot to mention for a 11-13 5.0 only...
Doesn't matter 4.6L 05+ or 5.0L 2011+

They both see sizeable gains from a CAI and tune although most of the power gain is attributable to the tune itself.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Doesn't matter 4.6L 05+ or 5.0L 2011+

They both see sizeable gains from a CAI and tune although most of the power gain is attributable to the tune itself.
But they're two different engines!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I want to get a Bama tune (likely) and I see all the intake + tune deals. Does the intake REALLY add any power after you have the tune? I've been trying to find dyno results to see if the intake really adds a worthwhile amount of power. I'm sure you all will be pissed with me asking this, bit I can't seem to find hard evidence... I would like to avoid getting an intake due to the cost and they can suck in water and aren't the greatest filters. Also a bit worried about a real loud teenager-sounding intake noise when driving the car...ESPECIALLY if it doesn't add power. lol
Intake are proven to add power... now if your just gonna go stand alone intake you wouldn't notice squat.. However, you do have to pay attention to the intake cause a fair amount of them run a restricting plate inside the tubing.. if I am not mistaken the ones not running the plate will be listed as "require tune". Also I have the 101mm Steeda intake and there is no teenager ricer sound when you step on the accelerator.

As far as sucking in water unless your parking outside during a monsoon you wont have to worry about sucking in water, the inlet doesn't allow water up into the intake however if you have a '13 you have hood vents that do drain some water onto the filter but that's easily solved by just buying one of those watergaurd sleeves for the filter.

Bama makes outstanding tunes.. I started off with the 91 performance + Steeda 101mm intake + roush axlebacks and the car became a whole new beast.. not long ago up'd the anti and went into the 93 Race tune and added JBA Xpipe /w Cat Deletes and again became a whole new beast.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

But they're two different engines!
D O E S N ' T M A T T E R!!!!!!

CAI & tune combo gains roughly 10-12% over stock tune on either engine. The dyno #'s have supported that.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Sorry to bring up and old thead but I just had my car dyno'd stock and then again with a cai&tune on the same day within minutes of each other.

Car is a 2008 GT premium with the appearance package rolled tips

stock: 268.68hp and 293.92tq
BBK cai with custom dyno tune: 285.6hp and 305.66tq

These results were on a dynojet in central Florida earlier this week and the only mod was the cai and tune.

Quick Reply: any dyno results of tune w/ intake vs w/out?