Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Moving/Vibrating From Left To Right

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I had a TPS come loose in a rear tire and no light came on. It sure made a racket knocking around inside the tire. Now I use the valve stem type.

Since you are convinced the tire balance is ok... check all of your suspension joints. Chances are, if you had to replace one tie rod end, the other isn't far behind, and the balljoints also. Stock Ball joints on these cars are a known weakness.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
MustangJason502

I haven't heard any loud unusual noises. I'll check out the ball joints and the other tie rod end tomorrow while I'm under the car. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you still have any of these rotor clips on any of the front wheels, they need to be removed. The factory wheels are not affected by them but some aftermarket are, preventing the wheel from sitting flush on the rotor.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Moving/Vibrating From Left To Right-rotorclips.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
MustangJason502

I have actually read about those rotor clips. I'll check for those tomorrow as well. I would hope they would have checked for those when they installed my new wheels and tires, but it's possible they didn't.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

A lot of people leave them on, even some installation manuals say to put them back on for brake upgrades. But like Nuke said, they aren't good for any aftermarket rim.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM
SoonerStang

Check the spring clips on your brake pads to make sure the pads are backing off the rotors. Also check to make sure the calipers can slide freely. After time the grease will wash off and the calipers will stick. My car was doing exactly what you described and that fixed it.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
MustangJason502

Sorry about the late reply. I've had a busy weekend. I jacked up the front of the car, took the wheels off and checked to see if the rotor clips were left on. They are gone. I also checked to see if there was any play in the wheels, and that checked out fine. Ball joints and everything appear to be okay. I did find out I have Eibach Pro-Kit Springs on the car. The car was lowered when I bought it and I had no idea how it had been lowered. Now I know! However, the car appears to have the factory Motorcraft shocks. Considering the car has 64,000 miles on it, it may be time for new shocks, but I doubt this is causing the issue I am having. Or could it?

SoonerStang, I'll have to get back out there and check that out. While I was checking everything out on the front end, I did spin the wheels to see if I could hear any bearing noise. The brake pads did appear to be barely touching the rotors on and off as if they may be a bit warped, however, the steering wheel doesn't shake while braking. Could it be possible to feel this while driving at 60 mph, but not while braking?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM
MustangJason502

*bump*
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Find a shop that can do a RoadForce balance. Typical spin balances can come up with goose eggs but will miss defects in the wheel and/or tire that can cause vibration issues.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM
MustangJason502

I thought about doing that. RoadForce balancing isn't cheap and I have been trying to avoid it! However, I suppose it would be cheaper in the long run. I'll get that done and keep you posted with the results.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Moving/Vibrating From Left To Right