Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
joji

Vehicle: 2005
Default TEMP GAUGE STUCK

I recently had someone do a
coolant flush on my 05 mustang
and he also replaced the thermostat.

The next day I notice my temp gauge is not moving
ON or OFF and is stuck just a little pass the middle
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Black Mustang

Your not going to like the worst case scenario answer to your problem, but this isn't the first time I've seen this, and its becoming more common with time.

First to possibly solve this the easy way, disconnect your negative battery cable, leave disconnected for 15mins. Reconnect and check if that fixed it. Sometimes little electrical problems can cause stuff like this to happen.

Check ALL electrical connections that may have been disturbed during the thermostat install, this could be solved as easily as plugging in a small plug or hose that was forgotten. Also make sure all the wires in the area of the thermostat aren't binding/stretched/pinched in any awkward way .

Another little bit more indepth thing you can check is to take the gauges out, removing the plastic cover and see if the little needle is just jammed or sticking somehow.

If this doesn't solve it, and it continues to not move AT ALL, then the little electric motor behind the face plate of the gauge cluster has gone bad and needs to be replaced. This requires removing the entire gauge cluster, disassembling it down to the circuit board level, unsaughtering 4 saughters that hold the little plastic/electric motor to the circuit board, remove the defunct motor, resaughtering in the new replacement motor from Ford. A pain to do, but it doesn't cost that much if you can do it yourself. This would be the absolute last thing I would do. I have a video link on YouTube of someone doing this, but its saved on my computer not my iPad.

P/J Front Fascia | GT500 Rear Bumper | Custom CF Dash | BOSS 302 SW | MyColor Gauges | 2010 Black Leather | Shelby Kickers | Pioneer HU | FRPP FR500S Exhaust | C&L Intake | 93 VMP Tune | 8.8 w/ 3.73's | BMR: LCAs, PH Bar & Brace, F & R Sway Bars | 14" 2-Piece Baer Rotors & GT500 Brembos | Custom SS Lines | 19x9 & 19x10 Black GT500 Wheels
Stang-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
joji

thank you!

I am going to try this out.
although I am not so sure I can do the last option.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

welcome, post up when you find the solution/problem haha

heres the video pt. 1 of 3

P/J Front Fascia | GT500 Rear Bumper | Custom CF Dash | BOSS 302 SW | MyColor Gauges | 2010 Black Leather | Shelby Kickers | Pioneer HU | FRPP FR500S Exhaust | C&L Intake | 93 VMP Tune | 8.8 w/ 3.73's | BMR: LCAs, PH Bar & Brace, F & R Sway Bars | 14" 2-Piece Baer Rotors & GT500 Brembos | Custom SS Lines | 19x9 & 19x10 Black GT500 Wheels
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

If it's not a sensor issue, then you're the victim of a chronic problem with the gauge cluster stepper motors which was rampant in the 05's and early '06's.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
If it's not a sensor issue, then you're the victim of a chronic problem with the gauge cluster stepper motors which was rampant in the 05's and early '06's.
Yep, I am a victim of my stepper motors going out.

My thermostat gauge only works if it is 60 degrees or warmer outside. My RPM gauge is off by 150 RPM-250 RPM and my gas gauge is sometimes off by a 1/4 tank.......

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
Tbones80

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Sucks, but can use it as an excuse to upgrade. The gt500 cluster is same price as the gt, but has mycolor in it (if you have the wiring harness behind where the buttons would be, you can use it) and looks a ton more modern. Im waiting for my stepper motors to go out!
Tbones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
joji

as of right now its gone beyong the H (hot) and pass it.
im guessing its a guage problem?

so how do I go about fixing this?
changing the motor for the guage?

I also notice my rpm guage doesn't work sometimes.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

yes your going to have to order the motor from Ford. I do not know the part number. Then take apart the cluster and replace the bad motor. Follow the videos I posted, they are very informational

Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Tbones80

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Can get em off ebay, probably alot cheaper then Ford. Search mustang stepper motor. If the soldering part intimidates ya, take the circuit board and new stepper motors to an electrician/tv repair man. They can replace them all in under an hour. May as well
replace them all while you got it apart.

Last edited by Tbones80; 08-03-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Tbones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
coolant flush, mustang 05, thermostat housing