Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Having to say "Bluetooth Audio" every time - Ford Sync

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

That is part of the problem with Sync. My MP3 player is plugged in all the time (flash memory based, so no startup time) on USB. However, there is still times where Sync defaults back to Line-In because the USB wasn't detected fast enough. Other times it will start up in USB just fine.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 AM
2012brembo50

I took a few minutes and did a master reset and re-paired again last night, after which I still got "no sync-enabled apps were found on your mobile device" immediately. After a couple tries I sat there looking at the sync system display for a few seconds and pressed OK once more. Then it went into "searching..." and "Pandora" displayed for less than a second, then disappeared. I waited several seconds and pressed OK once more, and then it connected and worked. I'm pretty much over it by this point.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
That is part of the problem with Sync. My MP3 player is plugged in all the time (flash memory based, so no startup time) on USB. However, there is still times where Sync defaults back to Line-In because the USB wasn't detected fast enough. Other times it will start up in USB just fine.
Two problems with that
1) It should detect the USB device no matter what. Mines a USB stick, there's no delay no reason for it not to detect it. This is due to laziness on the part of the software engineer.

2) But even if the USB devices has been removed, or failed, If the last used device is USB, it should stay on USB, with the error message, that no USB detected.

Think of it this way, if your left turn signal flasher bulb was out, and you didn't know, and put the left turn signal on, would it be ok for the car to flash the right turn signal instead.? No, do what it's supposed to do, or do nothing if you can't, don't pick some random other thing to do.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hey everyone,

I’ve been out of the office for a few days, but it looks like the majority of you are asking about the audio source when entering the vehicle. Unfortunately, there is no SYNC setting that will allow you to choose a default source. The quickest way to switch audio sources is to press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and give the command USB, BLUETOOTH AUDIO, or LINE IN. Since it seems to be a popular suggestion, I recommend submitting your idea here so others can vote on it: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ Members of the Ford product development team look through these ideas for insights and inspiration.

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Ive been having trouble getting my bluetooth audio to work lately too.. It will say bluetooth is connected but the sound wont play through the car, or the phone (when bluetooth is connected), but it says its playing on my phone. This bluetooth needs to be worked on. Having to deal with the trouble that it won't read my usb, and that it only wants to play radio and no other device from time to time is pathetic. I'm taking my car in for a service in a few months. Would ford be able to fix this problem or no?
Hi JayBeStangs94,

Since you’re already planning on taking it in for service, I recommend bringing your devices with you. It will be helpful if the dealership can replicate the concern.
Here are some tips to improve your connection: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync

Originally Posted by 2012brembo50
I haven't tried using voice commands to run mobile apps. When I use the buttons I get the response "No mobile apps were found on your device". My Android phone is a ZTE Merit. I'll try one more time to do a master reset on the car and re-pair the phone. If it worked once it should work again. If not, well, I give up. Pretty disappointing.
Originally Posted by 2012brembo50
I took a few minutes and did a master reset and re-paired again last night, after which I still got "no sync-enabled apps were found on your mobile device" immediately. After a couple tries I sat there looking at the sync system display for a few seconds and pressed OK once more. Then it went into "searching..." and "Pandora" displayed for less than a second, then disappeared. I waited several seconds and pressed OK once more, and then it connected and worked. I'm pretty much over it by this point.
Here is a link to our compatibility chart. BLUETOOTH AUDIO STREAMING will need to be supported in order for Mobile Apps to work properly: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync It appears that the ZTE Merit isn’t confirmed as supporting this feature. Since you’ve indicated that this feature has worked on your phone in the past, the last troubleshooting step I can suggest is a fuse pull. Turn the vehicle off and remove fuse #3 for a few minutes, then replace it. Turn the vehicle back on and ensure your phone is paired properly. Try to access the mobile apps and keep me posted.

Kim
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Silly as it sounds, all the SYNC issues make the car look bad. If you have friends get in your car and you have to reboot your phone and plug/unplug USB three or four times to play some music, Ford's not getting the type of word of mouth they might want for their product. Heck, I love my car otherwise but if I had known that the radio (which I use every time I get in the car), was going to be a constant source of frustration, I might have chosen differently.

They can pay lip service to the idea that they're taking advantage of Ford Social and all that as much as they want, but until they actually start fixing something it's all just talk. I mean, on the Ford site it shows that the latest version of SYNC available for my car is from like March or something. So in six months they haven't fixed a single bug? With all the people screaming on here and elsewhere about how broken SYNC is, I'm sure they can find at least one thing to fix.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_
Think of it this way, if your left turn signal flasher bulb was out, and you didn't know, and put the left turn signal on, would it be ok for the car to flash the right turn signal instead.? No, do what it's supposed to do, or do nothing if you can't, don't pick some random other thing to do.
Not really the right analogy. A turn signal, if one bulb goes out, creates more of a signal at the other bulbs in the same lane causing them to blink faster (if both are out it is solid). If the entire left turn signal is out then common practice, dictated by the DMV, is using hand signals. Even in this situation, the turn signal system still falls back onto another method producing the same output. All SYNC is setup to do is try to output you music/sound wherever it finds it each time it boots up.

In the case of SYNC, think of it as a boot sequence. When you go into the BIOS of a computer, there are multiple options that you can boot your PC from, whether it be Hard Drive, CD, USB, Network, etc. and there is a certain order (set by user in most cases) in which the BIOS runs through to find out where to boot from. Say the order is CD->USB->Network->HDD. It will cycle through the first 3 before actually booting off of the hard drive and continuing normal operations. Say if it were to detect any of the other 3, it will run a programmed sequence on those, and in most cases also ask for a confirmation to boot off of said detected devices before proceeding to the next. So if you were to leave it alone on most normal computers (meaning no confirmation on the other boots), it would cycle through all of the other boot options, and still proceed to HDD.

Originally Posted by rvastang
Silly as it sounds, all the SYNC issues make the car look bad. If you have friends get in your car and you have to reboot your phone and plug/unplug USB three or four times to play some music, Ford's not getting the type of word of mouth they might want for their product. Heck, I love my car otherwise but if I had known that the radio (which I use every time I get in the car), was going to be a constant source of frustration, I might have chosen differently.

They can pay lip service to the idea that they're taking advantage of Ford Social and all that as much as they want, but until they actually start fixing something it's all just talk. I mean, on the Ford site it shows that the latest version of SYNC available for my car is from like March or something. So in six months they haven't fixed a single bug? With all the people screaming on here and elsewhere about how broken SYNC is, I'm sure they can find at least one thing to fix.
I kinda agree with you there. Sometimes I'm afraid to use the SYNC system with certain passengers because I'm not confident enough with the system to rely on it working all the time. It doesn't really kill THIS car, but for cars such as the older Focus, Fusion, etc. where the SYNC is more of a big deal, it does hurt them.

The MyTouch is a little better, but I'd rather not fork over money for a Touch screen system if I don't have to. However, they need to be working on updates for the older system. As an IT Tech, I do get a little frustrated when hardware still in use is ignored, as far as support goes. At least support it for another two years on the software end before ignoring it. Especially when even the 2014 Mustangs aren't on the MyTouch system. An update that old is kinda embarrassing when this issue has existed for a while.

Last edited by Boaisy; 09-25-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Sync isn't a computer, it's an embedded device. And even with that analogy, it's wrongly skipping a fully valid boot device.

How about this analogy. My TV can get input from HDMI, S-Video input of from a TV station. Every time I power up it comes up on the last thing I had selected.
It never gets it wrong.

This is the kind of thing Microsoft is bad at. It's a very simple design feature, that even the most junior of engineers should got right. It would have cost nothing to get this right, but instead it's costing millions (in lost sales) because they got it wrong.

It's a shame because all the other engineering in this car is absolutely brilliant, Nobel prize winning brilliant, but it's spoiled by a lazy moron at Microsoft.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

It is a separate module from the Head Unit itself with the hardware of a Motorola BackFlip running a Windows Embedded Automotive OS. It is pretty much an embedded computer system.

The TV doesn't have to call upon a separate module to call its extra inputs. However, not all TVs come without their quirks. A Sony that I had, early LCD model, had issues with a certain version of HDMI. If the HDMI device had not boot up fast enough, you would get video, not audio. You had to reboot the TV to get it to pick up the audio properly. Now this TV could get updates over a USB flash drive, but whatever Sony was throwing at it would only work for a certain number of TVs of that model. Eventually they just chalked it up to bad compatibility with the particular HDMI spec, but they at least attempted multiple updates to the firmware.

However, I'm still with you on the software bugs. I have had this issue since I bought my car last June (used). According to the Ford Service website, it has had all updates possible from the consumer side. Apparently there is one update I can take it into a dealer for (one requiring them to hook a laptop up to it), but I'm not going to spend the time to update it if it doesn't fix the issue. They recently allowed Spotify to work on Mobile Apps, but for some reason only applied it to Apple phones. Last I checked, Android or WM devices can't use Spotify through Mobile Apps yet.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Well I traded in my Iphone for a HTC One. Lets see how SYNC likes this phone. Wish me luck guys.

Matthew
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Well I traded in my Iphone for a HTC One. Lets see how SYNC likes this phone. Wish me luck guys.

Matthew
If it's anything like mine it will be hit and/or miss. One day it will work flawlessly and the next it won't do anything the way it's supposed to (with Sync that is, the phone itself has been great)

Quick Reply: Having to say "Bluetooth Audio" every time - Ford Sync